Norwich City vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

2 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

You should tell people on Twitter about Russell bit mate.. New scapegoat now. 

Yep JR is officialily off the hook...... It's all Butterfield now, with Vydra trying to get in as first reserve.

but seriously, the lack of punch up front is worrying... I am not even if we had Diago Costa that it would make much difference.

There is a missing piece in terms of the pace at which we move the ball forward from the middle, pick runs up or drive in to the box from midfield. That same problem used to derive from the back four but since Pearce arrived it's moved from there to be me more evident in the middle. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, angieram said:

I'm not very good at all this theory but I know what I see in practice. Not long home from a 350 mile round trip so can't be bothered to write a match report.

Just wanted to add a couple of things that were relevant for me today. We had a bright start and Norwich were very nervy. We moved the ball forward quickly but once it got in and around the box we start fannying around, looking for another pass or taking three touches. It's as if we want to walk the ball into the net. 

When we gave the ball away it took Norwich seconds to create a clear chance, which was hit very firmly by Oliviera and went right in the corner. Harsh to accuse Carson over that one.

My point is that we had several attacks and made no clear cut chances, they score with their first shot. We had them back-pedalling, the crowd on their back and yet our inability to create chances cost us again.

My second point has little to do with the game but a lot less than half of us were still in the ground to hear the final whistle. I know it's heart breaking when we lose like that but some of our players still came over at the final whistle to applaud and those were the ones that had worked so hard when down to 10 men. We have just come off the back of a ten-game unbeaten run and this was a game we were right in until Butterfield's sending off and I was just a bit disappointed that people couldn't stick around to acknowledge the players. 

Erudite as ever Angie. The annoying thing about the game tooday is that there are obvious weaknesses in that Norwich defence and  we didn't do enough to test or stretch them.

Agree with your last point about staying behind to applaud the players. It's a 100+ mile trip back to Derby, the extra 10 minutes isn't going to delay people that much. I liked that our players came and applauded us, showed they realised it had been a bad day and a lot of fans had travelled a long way to see them. They were obviously all trying their best so for that I stayed to appplaud them.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I'm not very good at all this theory but I know what I see in practice. Not long home from a 350 mile round trip so can't be bothered to write a match report.

Just wanted to add a couple of things that were relevant for me today. We had a bright start and Norwich were very nervy. We moved the ball forward quickly but once it got in and around the box we start fannying around, looking for another pass or taking three touches. It's as if we want to walk the ball into the net. 

When we gave the ball away it took Norwich seconds to create a clear chance, which was hit very firmly by Oliviera and went right in the corner. Harsh to accuse Carson over that one.

My point is that we had several attacks and made no clear cut chances, they score with their first shot. We had them back-pedalling, the crowd on their back and yet our inability to create chances cost us again.

My second point has little to do with the game but a lot less than half of us were still in the ground to hear the final whistle. I know it's heart breaking when we lose like that but some of our players still came over at the final whistle to applaud and those were the ones that had worked so hard when down to 10 men. We have just come off the back of a ten-game unbeaten run and this was a game we were right in until Butterfield's sending off and I was just a bit disappointed that people couldn't stick around to acknowledge the players. 

You are very good at all this theory. Unfortunately people and often a lot of people just don't get their actions, their behaviours and continue to follow others like sheep or spend their life's wandering around like zombies, my advice is to just enjoy the mighty good people around you that did stick around to acknowledge the players. Life is very short and special and so is Derby County Football Club, I've typed it many a time on here, you can support the team, the club etc or you can do all the other damaging stuff that people unfortunately choose to do.

Nothing to do with football but has anyone been watching 'This is Us' on Channel 4, well worth a watch, 2 more days left on the Channel 4 App thingy with the first episode or on your smart TV's or whatever. Anyway just watched 3 episodes back to back, and hey I totally enjoyed the emotional ride, so far. http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/11/channel-4-sets-uk-premiere-date-us/

As for Derby County we move on to the next game, and whatever happens, to some of us, we'll stick by them, come rain or snow, in any kind of weather, in any division, any day of the week, forever and ever.

11 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Derby fans always need one. I'll criticise players, but my scapegoat this season is Niger Pearson..

Yes mine as well he totally killed any kind of team flow we had, ( some very expensive average signings by Clement and Pearson haven't helped either, rebuild isn't correct but upgrade in areas certinatly is.

We are very much making do at the moment in terms of how we play (bloody good run of results considering) ,,,,, we do not have a wingback to put on the field either right or left , Baird done great but a very different player and far more a conventional 442 type full back ,,,, Bradley has done fantastic in the holding mid position in terms of bite and defensive qualities but to be fair it's becoming clear he is not the george Thorne quarterback type who can make us tick going forward, this impacts on the rest of midfield where it suddenly feels that letting Hendricks go has left us very light in personnel and options (like most I felt we could easily let hendrick go at the time and not be stretched) , butters is a good solid technical player but does slow play down and the three together are not creating for a front line that for me is not quite sure how it's meant to be playing in terms of playing off the shoulder or dropping deep , getting wide or staying inside , 

in short we really are a bit of a hotchpotch at the moment as a result of a number of different managers in a short space of time with different views on how to play and as a result recruitment has also been a bit scattergun ,,,, I'm going to reign in my expectations that have been raised by a fantastic set of results under Mac given the circumstances and watch with interest this transfer window and how things develop as players come back from injury ,,, Mac has waved a magic wand in terms of getting the best out of the players short term and climbing the table to a position we should reasonably expect this squad to produce but there is no short term magic wand to producing the team that wins promotion at Derby from this present situation unless it's sprinkled with copious amounts of good fortune

22 minutes ago, archied said:

We are very much making do at the moment in terms of how we play (bloody good run of results considering) ,,,,, we do not have a wingback to put on the field either right or left , Baird done great but a very different player and far more a conventional 442 type full back ,,,, Bradley has done fantastic in the holding mid position in terms of bite and defensive qualities but to be fair it's becoming clear he is not the george Thorne quarterback type who can make us tick going forward, this impacts on the rest of midfield where it suddenly feels that letting Hendricks go has left us very light in personnel and options (like most I felt we could easily let hendrick go at the time and not be stretched) , butters is a good solid technical player but does slow play down and the three together are not creating for a front line that for me is not quite sure how it's meant to be playing in terms of playing off the shoulder or dropping deep , getting wide or staying inside , 

in short we really are a bit of a hotchpotch at the moment as a result of a number of different managers in a short space of time with different views on how to play and as a result recruitment has also been a bit scattergun ,,,, I'm going to reign in my expectations that have been raised by a fantastic set of results under Mac given the circumstances and watch with interest this transfer window and how things develop as players come back from injury ,,, Mac has waved a magic wand in terms of getting the best out of the players short term and climbing the table to a position we should reasonably expect this squad to produce but there is no short term magic wand to producing the team that wins promotion at Derby from this present situation unless it's sprinkled with copious amounts of good fortune

Good post, we basically should be looking towards next season, (obviously we could do the miracle) get people back playing in a way that suits us and it will take time.

Echo many of the comments on here. Midfield three completely unbalanced, front three toothless. Even our defensive solidity deserted us yesterday, probably as defence was too deep and midfield were overran.

Very frustrating, you could feel the tension around the ground from the home fans early on, we started well they looked shaky, then we shoot ourselves in the foot with an awful goal to concede. From that point on, let's be honest it could have been a cricket score.

Carson was excellent again, our best outfield player was anya before he went off injured, Ince tried to make stuff happen and worked hard but his body language was terrible at times. Bryson buzzed and made some tackles but was ineffective, couldn't get forward to support the attack. Other than those 4, the rest of the team were extremely poor yesterday.

Bradley had his worst game in a while but not going to criticise as he's done well for 10 games. Vydra is not a number 9, his best moment was in the first half where he pulled wide beat his man. Jinked into the box and almost found Russell. 

As for Butterfield being made the new scapegoat I don't agree. Unfortunately I don't think he really suits a 3 in midfield, the balance isn't right which isn't down to him it's down to the recruitment team. He's technically a good player but doesn't have physical presence or energy, and he often has too many touches and slows the game. However, in my opinion,  you can count on one hand the number of good games he's had this season. He hasnt played well since forest game, and he was Derby's worst player yesterday before his red card. 

As for the sending off, harsh as it was, it was a stupid tackle he didn't need to make and summed up his performance. In some ways I hope it doesn't get overturned, it will force McClaren to play Hughes and Bryson and hopefully through adversity we find a better midfield balance.

Yesterday's 11 won't make top 6, the squad definitely needs some tweaks, not a lot but we need a proper number 9, another wide option and a box to box midfielder. But we need to try and ship out 3 players, preferably 3 of our ineffective wide options (Camara, Weimann, Russell)

53 minutes ago, archied said:

Spot on

16 hours ago, Alpha said:

He's proper weird mate. 

A really strange bloke.

Instantly after Martin left he latched onto Butterfield. 

The whole time Martin was here he refused all evidence, stats etc and just blamed anything negative on Martin.

Now it's Butterfield. 

When he's not playing it will be another bloke

Because he's weird. He's not wired up right. I've never been obsessed with another human being like that. The constant urge to make everything about that person. It's mental.

He's not even at the game but it's 100% all Butterfield. Remember when Johnson was terrible every week? That wasn't mentioned. It was all Martin's fault then. 

Once he latches on he's like Jack Russell. 

I think there's a proper issue there. He's got a little disciple too. 

Johnson wasn't terrible. His passing was off but the rest of his game was rock solid. Then Pearson benched him.

Lets not twist facts so you can continue your obsession with me. Wasn't it your New Years resolution to stop bickering at 3 members, and not make it personal? 3 days in and you've already fell short. And what game was I not at? Are you making up things now to get your little digs in? 

As to Butterfield, yes I think he is hurting our creativity, and he rarely tackles. Not a fan sorry. You love him that's great for you. Not a martin fan - although he's had moments, my favourite of which was that Ipswich away winner where he hustled, braved it and scored a winner. Loved that. He's capable but he's barely at the races. Just like at Fulham now, he plays when he feels like it.

anything else? 

was at Norwich yesterday , and i think weve discussed it to death , lets not pick on individuals , all the players want the same as us , and the run we have been on is to be commended . If you had offered me 7th place , 2pts outside play offs as i left the ground after the Blackburn home defeat i would of thought you were mad , but that is where we find ourselves , give every single player your backing , hope mel , sam and mac can work their magic in the transfer window and lets move on to the next set of games , Leeds and Reading arent going to be easy but with our backing lets help the lads , all of them to start another run going , this could still be our year

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Johnson wasn't terrible. His passing was off but the rest of his game was rock solid. Then Pearson benched him.

Lets not twist facts so you can continue your obsession with me. Wasn't it your New Years resolution to stop bickering at 3 members, and not make it personal?

Not a fan sorry. You love him that's great for you.

Not a martin fan 

Johnson was worse then than Butterfield is now

Nope :huh:

I don't love or hate Butterfield. I'm not obsessed with him... ;) I just defend Derby players against haters

Don't talk to me about Martin. I find it weird

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

was at Norwich yesterday , and i think weve discussed it to death , lets not pick on individuals , all the players want the same as us , and the run we have been on is to be commended . If you had offered me 7th place , 2pts outside play offs as i left the ground after the Blackburn home defeat i would of thought you were mad , but that is where we find ourselves , give every single player your backing , hope mel , sam and mac can work their magic in the transfer window and lets move on to the next set of games , Leeds and Reading arent going to be easy but with our backing lets help the lads , all of them to start another run going , this could still be our year

good sensible post i was at the game and saw a few tired players johson and butterfield to mention two also missing will made a huge  difference i cant understand not playing bent for this one they loathe him at norwich hes scored a bucketfull of goals against them we didnt have anyone with the physical presence to stop them pushing up they are on paper top contenders for getting out of this league, didnt we beat them 3 nil at home when they looked jaded lets get real we have had one poor game and the usual protagonists are wanting to pull this team apart we wont play this poorly again

5 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

good sensible post i was at the game and saw a few tired players johson and butterfield to mention two also missing will made a huge  difference i cant understand not playing bent for this one they loathe him at norwich hes scored a bucketfull of goals against them we didnt have anyone with the physical presence to stop them pushing up they are on paper top contenders for getting out of this league, didnt we beat them 3 nil at home when they looked jaded lets get real we have had one poor game and the usual protagonists are wanting to pull this team apart we wont play this poorly again

We beat Norwich 1-0 Bradley Johnson at home. 

Archived