Paul Clement

Ramz64

On 06/01/2017 at 09:18, Alpha said:

The players must have tried hard enough to get into the top 6

Then they decided to give up?

I wish people would stop making massive assumptions about the majority of footballers. Where does this idea come from that they're arrogant knob heads just happy to collect money?

Footballers are paid a lot of money because of us. We could be in their position if we had the talent, made the sacrifices and had the dedication. And if we had the money I guarantee we wouldn't be driving hatchbacks and dating Susan Boyle. 

They played for Clement. They are in a league with other professional footballers. I think if they downed tools you'd know about it. 

Like the accusations they didn't play for Pearson. They played just hard enough to secure narrow defeats? So their careers can go down the pan? If they don't want to play then nothing is stopping them quitting. The money they get paid isn't endless. It goes up or down with their careers. 

Seriously, where does it originate from? That book from an unnamed author? What makes the book true? It wouldn't sell if it wasn't full of scandal. Or is it Wayne Rooney cheating on his wife? I know lads that have cheated. Nothing to do with their job. They weren't thinking about their job when they did it. They weren't thinking much at all.

As you can see, it winds me up that people suggest players stop trying. I'm sure there's been some as in any job that lose interest. But like any job the vast majority want to be good at what they do. Nobody likes losing. Athletes as much as anyone.

23 hours ago, barnsley ram said:

are you saying player power doesnt exist take chelsea as an example i think there was something going on at derby during clements reign and when the new manager after clements came in he shipped out the main protagonists

I think Alpha does downplay the confidence aspect a little bit for me. Players can get sick of working for managers who misuse them or harm their confidence or mismanage them in some way. Players are no different to us, they're human beings, that was the point of that post. But just like any other human being, career aspirations can go on hold when they're not enjoying their football. They know that they've only got a short career and they know they can be doing better but they're just not enjoying the game at that moment.

It's a much mocked phrase - "not enjoying my football" - but it exists. The pressure on players is incredible. They get paid handsomely for it, I know, but look past that a second. If you feel like you can't meet the expectations under a certain manager, your confidence is going to nosedive. Incidentally, this is exactly why I don't blame Chris Martin for a single moment of what he's done. He probably felt he had to leave for himself and his family, and now returning is the best thing for himself and his family. Take football out of it, take the terms 'Fulham' and 'Derby' out of it, and you'd do the same thing. Hop from one place of work to another if circumstances meant the grass was greener on the other side.

Barnsley ram - I don't think he's saying player power doesn't exist. Players look after each other. Same way you favour your colleagues at your level on the chain of command over the 'higher-ups'.

All common workplace tropes, they exist in football too. It's a place of work as well as a sport.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Well, Swansea won 3-2, the players couldn't have been listening to his instructions. :ph34r:

He asked them to play the Clement way 

Archived