Paul Clement

Ramz64

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/30/2016 at 02:03, Kennington Ram said:

Wonder if he will fancy any of our side? Could do worse than Shackell at the moment considering their recent results and Clement got good performances from him for the most part.

Well he signed Blackman because he's worked with him before.

Here's hoping...

Hi guys, swans fan here. What was the reason(s) you sacked clement? From what I've read a lot of you seen to like him which can't be a bad thing. Any more info on him would be very much appreciated! And good luck for the rest of the season, see you next season, or maybe not! 

3 minutes ago, BenTheJack said:

Hi guys, swans fan here. What was the reason(s) you sacked clement? From what I've read a lot of you seen to like him which can't be a bad thing. Any more info on him would be very much appreciated! And good luck for the rest of the season, see you next season, or maybe not! 

He didnt play the 'derby way' 

16 minutes ago, BenTheJack said:

For not playing Derby way. 

10 hours ago, BenTheJack said:

I used to live in Swansea and know a few Jacks :thumbsup:

Clement Pros:

Intelligent

Loves analytics

Fits the continental style Swansea used to be known for.

Clearly a good coach.

Will hopefully have learned from his Derby mistakes.

Clement con's:

"Boring" possession based game

Man management? Upset the squad somehow in the month before he was sacked.

Didn't seem to have the I knack of really getting things turned round when the chips were down.

Thought he was destined for better things, didn't bother going to championship matches or reaserching championship players

Overall:

I can see why Swansea are keen, he could still make it as a very good manager.

However, the way his Derby side went from utterly controlled and competent to pure dog do in a month was baffling.

There's no real known truth about what exactly he was sacked for, we were told"footballing reasons" but not "because we were bottom of the firm table, hadn't won in sand looked awful doing it" - fell out with owner Mel is as far as we can speculate. Generally believed has treated a bit badly, but his team was dull.

I think, hand on heart, this is a mistake for Swansea and you should gave got Rowett, I'm not sure Clement can galvanize you for the coming relegation fight, but, good luck.

11 hours ago, BenTheJack said:

He is clearly a talented coach who is well respected. To you guys I don't think it should really matter why he was sacked, it happens to managers all the time for all sorts of reasons. To me, one of his legacies is converting our error ridden, diving in unnecessarily, often out of position captain into a good centre-half - he transformed his game.

I think he will do well for you.

11 hours ago, BenTheJack said:

He's obviously a smart bloke but I still feel that he was never very bothered about being Derby manager - I think he just saw us as a stepping stone to get to manage one of the 'big' clubs... He came in to what was a talented, attacking-based squad and made them play dreary, efficient 1-0 football... Which fell apart because we weren't creating enough chances... He seemed too interested in immediate success as a CV booster when everyone else at the club was talking about a 'long-term vision'...

I would worry that he'd be the same with Swansea... However the major pro for you would be that his measure of success at Swansea would be keeping you up... So whether he cares about being your manager long term is less of an issue I guess if he keeps you up this season? 

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

He's obviously a smart bloke but I still feel that he was never very bothered about being Derby manager - I think he just saw us as a stepping stone to get to manage one of the 'big' clubs... He came in to what was a talented, attacking-based squad and made them play dreary, efficient 1-0 football... Which fell apart because we weren't creating enough chances... He seemed too interested in immediate success as a CV booster when everyone else at the club was talking about a 'long-term vision'...

I would worry that he'd be the same with Swansea... However the major pro for you would be that his measure of success at Swansea would be keeping you up... So whether he cares about being your manager long term is less of an issue I guess if he keeps you up this season? 

Agreed with all of this.

and to add, for me, he seems like capable assistant but doesn't have the personality to be the big boss. Same category as for example Sami Hyypiä. Has all the knowledge, but not the skill to lead the whole team.

Credit for him at least trying. Clearly very ambitious being manager on his own.

19 hours ago, BenTheJack said:

We sacked him because he was going for broke with promotion. He wanted to get to the Premier League by hook or by crook and didn't care about the long term plan or the style we wanted to play.

I know it all sounds a bit 'West Ham' but honestly, it was dour football and you just don't survive long term doing that. You might go up, you might stay up for a bit, but you'll come crashing down in time and you'll end up like Bolton or Wigan eventually. Mel Morris never wanted that for our club. We wanted to use more young players but Clement never watched the youngsters or took an interest in their development. He took a scattergun approach to buying players and so needed to spend a lot of money. The club just wasn't working as a functioning whole. Clement got us in the right position in the league but wasn't buying into the vision. When he'd used us as a stepping stone and he left, we'd have to start from the ground up again.

Think of your own club in years gone by when you've had a style and a clear club strategy and how well you've been able to transition from manager to manager because there wasn't loads for a new manager to figure out. The strategy is put in front of them and they do the job and deliver it with their football knowledge and coaching expertise. Think about more recently being on your third manager this season and how ripping up and starting again has served you. No offence of course, I'm just demonstrating the kind of thing I mean about where we would have ended up if we had pissed about on the managerial merry-go-round. McClaren has returned because he kickstarted the revolution at our club that inspired us to actually get a plan and a vision together. "The Derby Way" is more or less "The McClaren Way", but when McClaren goes, at least we'll be able to tell the next guy "follow on from that and continue with the plan".

You need to stay up at the moment. Clement may well do that. He may well then **** off and leave you to find another mercenary like Nigel Pearson who'll want to rip it all up and start again.

Archived