Dire recruitment during Summer 2015

ariotofmyown

Who the hell was responsible for our recruitment during the Summer transfer window last year when Clement was boss. What a waste of money:

Bent: over the hill, was good 10 years ago

Ince: arrogant and has one good game in 20

Johnson: biggest waste of money since Claude Davies. Norwich can have him back for free

Baird: how is this joker even at the club still?

Pearce: who? Has hardly played for us. Ship him out with the rest of the 'deadwood'

Butterfield: so miserable you can tell he doesn't want to be here. Well guess what mate, we don't want you here either.

Shackell: the only one worth having. Premiership class and a proper leader.

Mel Morris: well done, you've got lots of money. If you want to waste it then fair play. Just can't help thinking we'd be better off without you.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem wasn't really the players, it's that we signed them with no idea how they were going to be used.  McClaren now has most of them in a sensible formation doing things they're good at, and it's working.  It's hardly rocket science, which makes it all the more surprising that both Clement and Pearson struggled with it.

They're not bad players, but most of them haven't really fit since their arrival. 

I like them all and I'm happy for them to stay but I'd be lying if I said I see Darren Bent being the man to make that lone striker role in a 443 his, same with BJ at CDM. Baird's not the long term solution at RB but will be good cover (as he's always been). There's still no place for Weimann either. 

They'll all play their part but I still think that transfer window in 2015 wasn't what we needed. We signed some good players, there's no doubt about that, I just think we didn't fill the criteria we required. 

I wouldn't rule it out. 

Blackman is nowhere near as bad as some make out. 

He's had a really poor start for Derby and I don't think he's got a huge future ahead of him but I think some excuses can be made for just how poor he has been. He's never slotted into a confident team where he's allowed to make mistakes.

He's always been on the pitch at bad times. 

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I wouldn't rule it out. 

Blackman is nowhere near as bad as some make out. 

He's had a really poor start for Derby and I don't think he's got a huge future ahead of him but I think some excuses can be made for just how poor he has been. He's never slotted into a confident team where he's allowed to make mistakes.

He's always been on the pitch at bad times. 

And who's fault is that? Keogh's obviously, or Baird's, or Johnson's, or Ince's, or.........

56 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Just been discussing the same thing.

There's got to be a chance.....surely?

Despite what Alpha thinks I don't think so - he shoots like he's got his boots on the wrong feet! God only knows how he actually scored so many for Reading. He is never going to be the way forward, even Weimann is better ffs!

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Despite what Alpha thinks I don't think so - he shoots like he's got his boots on the wrong feet! God only knows how he actually scored so many for Reading. He is never going to be the way forward, even Weimann is better ffs!

I think you're probably right,I just naively want him to come good even though all the evidence points against.

I hope Vydra doesn't go the same way because he doesn't fit our system(not saying he will).

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

And who's fault is that? Keogh's obviously, or Baird's, or Johnson's, or Ince's, or.........

Everyone. 

2 scenarios:

Step into a team in bad form, under pressure and play a bit here and a bit there in 2 different positions

Step into a team where everyone is relaxed, in decent form and under less pressure and knows how to play their system

Do you think if he came in now that he'd understand his role and have less pressure to stand out

The same has applied to many players. Chris Baird being another that was never that bad. Just a pretty unremarkable player that struggled to settle in

It's taken Johnson and Butterfield over 12 months to perform to their best, last season they looked like poor signings. McClaren is getting the best out of them and credit where credit is due, I've heavily criticised the pair of them as many people have and for very good reason! But both were outstanding today. Johnson has been consistently good for a number of games now, hopefully butterfield can continue this form.

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Everyone. 

2 scenarios:

Step into a team in bad form, under pressure and play a bit here and a bit there in 2 different positions

Step into a team where everyone is relaxed, in decent form and under less pressure and knows how to play their system

Do you think if he came in now that he'd understand his role and have less pressure to stand out

The same has applied to many players. Chris Baird being another that was never that bad. Just a pretty unremarkable player that struggled to settle in

It was a very tongue in cheek comment aimed at the many who write players off very early on without giving them a real chance. You're right about the differences between starting your career at a new club under the different circumstances and hope that even Blackman, who has had a more indifferent start than most (except perhaps Baird and possibly Pearce who had the misfortune of us signing Shakell), can atb some point make the fee paid for him look a little more realistic.

It's a shame Blackman got injured when he did, I do think he would push Russell all the way. I expect Camara to show more too.

Bradley Johnson is showing to be the player we bought. He has proven it over the entirety of his career, so it shouldn't be a shock. I can see the run-in for the player of the year award being close between him and Pearce. Two players that many wanted sold in the summer. 

Archived