Rams that got away

Carl Sagan

Seeing that Aleksandar Prijovic scored two Champions League goals last night for Legia Warsaw away at Borussia Dortmund, made me think of Rams that got away. Prijovic never made the break into the Derby first team and moved on in 2010.

Who are the Derby reserves that couldn't break through but have gone on to bigger and better things elsewhere? Might Tonton Zola Moukoko still end up at AC Milan? Even Brett Angell managed 188 career goals and a move to Everton despite a big fat zero in his Derby appearances column.

Do we have many prospects who have fulfilled their potential away from us, or is Pride Park often a graveyard for incoming high-profile youngsters?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yakubu will always stick in my head. Nearly signed didn't get a work permit.. Ended up getting married and signing for Pompy.. Think he scored a hat-trick against us that season and they got promoted. Will always leave a sour taste in my mouth..

26 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

You could argue Tom Huddlestone but he hasn't had the most fruitful career. 

He has played in the champions league with Spurs however so suppose you could class him. 

But Tom didn't get away as such. He was one of the first names on the teamsheet but was given away when we all wanted to keep him & build around him for the long term.

Ian Evatt should've been given more of a chance. He forged a decent career for himself at Championship level and even had a season in the Premier League. Considering some of the absolute rubbish we've had in central defence since we binned him (Andrew Davies, Darren Powell, Dave Walton, Martin Albrechtsen, Claude Davis) I'd rather have kept Evatt around.

I thought people like Poom, Riggot, Christie, Stimac, Wanchope and to some extent Huddlestone were all going to go on to much better things, but despite some minimal success' they did not really tear up any trees.

Mark Wright and Dean Saunders hurt more though I guess.

Was surprised to see Callum Ball go down the leagues quite so quickly and equally surprised to see that Vic Moreland had a career in the US ( although mostly indoor ??)  I would have thought anything not involving a ball would have been more his bag.

Archived