which PREVIOUS Rams players to you despise most? *sponsored by SRG

Mostyn6

30 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Never met the geezer, might be okay but I have been consistent in my opinion of Eustace. People were desperate after Thorne got injured and made him into this super hero that somehow was missed by Barca.. Journeyman footballer at best, never really played anywhere of note. So many people had Eustace glasses on it was unbelivable, I despised the myth that he became.

Just bang average..

He played in the most vital position of McClaren's system and gave the entire team balance. He may might have been a particularly brilliant footballer but he knew how to play the role.

Contrast this with Mascarell who was a wonderful footballer, two footed, elegent on the ball and who possessed an excellent passing range but didn't know that line DM role well enough and as a result we were caught out quite often when he played. 

The fact that Thorne is the best of both is what took is to a new level.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cannable said:

He played in the most vital position of McClaren's system and gave the entire team balance. He may might have been a particularly brilliant footballer but he knew how to play the role.

Contrast this with Mascarell who was a wonderful footballer, two footed, elegent on the ball and who possessed an excellent passing range but didn't know that line DM role well enough and as a result we were caught out quite often when he played. 

I would take 'wonderful footballer, two footed, elegant' every time.

Or we could have out of position, air kicks.. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

26 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

add to that it was Mascarell's absence that cost us, not Eustace.

44 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

It's about the team though, not the individual. In games in which Mascarell started we picked up 1.5 PPG. In games in which Eustace started we picked up 2 PPG. 

It's about who fits and who provides the most balance not who is better.

I was of the opinion at the time and have seen nothing since then that Eustace should have been played as often as he was physically able to when Thorne was injured.

You can have all the technical ability in the world, if you don't know where to be and when to be there then you unbalance the team.

Eustace was great at that and knowing when to give away the foul.

Knew his limitations on the ball - I believe he said himself that on the ball his job was just to give it to someone better than him.

He could organise the defence really well, always giving orders at set pieces.

Proper leader of men.

We all moaned when Clough bought him, but he was exactly the kind of player we had been missing, he added some steel into the centre of the park.

It amazes me that after all we have seen over the past couple of seasons that people still cannot see that having technically better players is no substitute for having balance in the squad.

9 minutes ago, cannable said:

It's about the team though, not the individual. In games in which Mascarell started we picked up 1.5 PPG. In games in which Eustace started we picked up 2 PPG. 

It's about who fits and who provides the most balance not who is better.

I never said it was not.. Omar was a team player.

You still make Eustace out to be the saviour, why did he never play for top teams? It's pretty simple, if you think about it.

You can wallow in stats if you want, there will be a myriad of reasons why we did or didn't pick up an average of 1.5 or 2 points a game.. Did you factor in wind speed? Who we were playing? Other injuries at the time, strength of opposition, colour clashes, injuries in the opposition team. Seriously mate I don't give a toss about stats. Took me 10 mins to work out what PPG was.. Should I have been impressed?

@Ellafella will be on soon to help you out.

51 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

You still make Eustace out to be the saviour, why did he never play for top teams? It's pretty simple, if you think about it.

You can wallow in stats if you want, there will be a myriad of reasons why we did or didn't pick up an average of 1.5 or 2 points a game.. Did you factor in wind speed? Who we were playing? Other injuries at the time, strength of opposition, colour clashes, injuries in the opposition team. Seriously mate I don't give a toss about stats. Took me 10 mins to work out what PPG was.. Should I have been impressed?

The most prolonged period of great attacking football in 15 years had Jake Buxton and John Eustace as the spine of the team.

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

With Thorne maybe... When Jake got tired of carrying Eustace, he fell over.

Thorne only played the last 8 or so games of that great run. Eusty played the majority of Mac's run to the play offs and was absolutely superb virtually every game. Positioning, tackling, passing, reading the game and more than prepared to take a yellow card for the team if someone thought they could actually run past him.

Put him in a 442 side and he'd probably be dogshite but as a CDM who's job is to protect the defence he was excellent.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Have you ever thought that maybe his ex-team mates and stats are correct and you yourself are wrong? 

Even if/though they were exaggerating it still shows that he wasn't anything close to bad. 

6 hours ago, cannable said:

Have you ever thought that maybe his ex-team mates and stats are correct and you yourself are wrong? 

Even if/though they were exaggerating it still shows that he wasn't anything close to bad. 

I said bang average. Read my posts. I've answered the ex team mates thing. 

Some posts on here still have him down as some sort of messiah. 

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Thorne only played the last 8 or so games of that great run. Eusty played the majority of Mac's run to the play offs and was absolutely superb virtually every game. Positioning, tackling, passing, reading the game and more than prepared to take a yellow card for the team if someone thought they could actually run past him.

Put him in a 442 side and he'd probably be dogshite but as a CDM who's job is to protect the defence he was excellent.

I gave up at positioning. Superb every game   

Its like an urban myth. Did he also rob from the rich and give to the poor?

Ive missed a good John Eustace debate though. 

Andy Griffin. Not entirely sure why but I react with real anger when I remember him. Also Laurent Robert, a fat man stealing a living, pretending not to be a fat man. Detective Jewell cracked that case eventually. 

Danny Mills is the closest to an actual hate of someone, it's more of a passionate dislike at this point. He talks out of his arse/ego, frequently appearing on the BBC speaking as if he actually thinks he has the answers to English football's key questions. He doesn't. Joey Barton made him look silly over the radio not too long ago, I very much enjoyed it. 

On 22/11/2016 at 11:18, Mostyn6 said:

did he? did he really? or was you one of those easily suckered by him sprinting towards the oppo goalkeeper, when he had zero chance of getting the ball, but receiving applause for his efforts, whilst spending the next 10 minutes blowing bubbles whilst the opposition midfield ran rings around Bailey (or whoever else was partner in CM).

It never surprised me that 9 times out of 10 games, the man of the match was the opposing central midfielder, such was the level of ineffectiveness that Savage's shadow-chasing and ankle tapping histrionics had on the game! Also, "Leader"?? really? What exactly did he lead us to? He had one good game, and he didn't even have a good game then, it was Taraabt having a stinker!

Agree on the football side he was average at best but he raised the media interest in Derby and his interviews were superb

Archived