Attitude towards Mel

IlsonDerby

From the loud minority is staggering. How can we be so critical of a man who has poured millions into our club? A man who has our clubs best interests at heart and a man who is doing what any of us who could afford to do it would do! 

Yes he's made mistakes but he doesn't make decisions based on making money, he makes decisions based on what he believes is best for our club. We may disagree sometimes and he may let his passion drive some decisions but be honest, if any of us were in his position would we be able to completely separate the fan from the chairman in us? 

Some of the comments I've seen remind me of the abuse directed at Doughty by the red dogs as they hounded him out after he poured his personal fortune into them. We're better than them. We shouldn't act like them. 

Mel is one of us and I will not criticise him because he's done more for this club than I ever could. 

So let's stop assuming every decision is ego driven and let's get behind him because he will take Derby to the premier league before he leaves us. You can book mark that! 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

From the loud minority is staggering. How can we be so critical of a man who has poured millions into our club? A man who has our clubs best interests at heart and a man who is doing what any of us who could afford to do it would do! 

Yes he's made mistakes but he doesn't make decisions based on making money, he makes decisions based on what he believes is best for our club. We may disagree sometimes and he may let his passion drive some decisions but be honest, if any of us were in his position would we be able to completely separate the fan from the chairman in us? 

Some of the comments I've seen remind me of the abuse directed at Doughty by the red dogs as they hounded him out after he poured his personal fortune into them. We're better than them. We shouldn't act like them. 

Mel is one of us and I will not criticise him because he's done more for this club than I ever could. 

So let's stop assuming every decision is ego driven and let's get behind him because he will take Derby to the premier league before he leaves us. You can book mark that! 

The internet generation.

Benefits - freedom of information, connectivity and positive collaborations.

Downside - every **** with a PC gets to have his say

You'd like to think that if he's hounded out and we end up with a bunch of mercenary corporate ***** that the haters would re-think their stance but most likely they'll just find something else to bitch about.

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Yes he's made mistakes but he doesn't make decisions based on making money, he makes decisions based on what he believes is best for our club. 

But what does he know about running a club?

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Mel is one of us and I will not criticise himbecause he's done more for this club than I ever could.

I'm one of us. I know nothing about football. If it was me in charge would you support me?

5 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

I'm one of us. I know nothing about football. If it was me in charge would you support me?

What does anyone know about running a club until they run one for the first time? He spent a while involved whilst still owned by the Canadians/Americans and spent a lot of time with Sam Rush. Why do we have to assume that just because he hasn't got a footballing back ground he wouldn't know how to run a club? 

Do our players and staff get paid on time? Do our opposition get paid their ticket money on time? Do we have a talented squad for this division? Do we have high attendances and the best commercial income (bar Newcastle) in the division? 

Hardly signs of a man not knowing how to run a football club. More like a man who is excellent at running the club but has had a fair bit of bad luck with manager selections not going as planned. 

If youd made yourself basically a billionaire then I would respect that you are no fool and if you poured those millions into my club with no expectation of being paid back then yes you'd have my support. 

Please find me a chairman that hat gets it right every time... you'll struggle unless the usual suspects of saints and Swansea come up... potentially Burton too but as a whole chairmen are only human. 

Running  a football club must be a million miles different to what Mel  morris has done to make his money. Yes he would probably  tell us he has made mistakes but he has invested a lot of his money put the club on a firm footing. Let's hope the future will be more stable on the management  front.

21 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

If you've got a billion quid down the back of the sofa and want to chuck it in with no guarantee of a return, then yes. Otherwise, your analogy is utterly fatuous. Walk a mile in a man's shoes mate.

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

You're likening our chairman to a man who has committed offences in Italy and was in serious doubt for passing the lamentable "fit and proper" test?

Wow.

Or possibly changing managers as often as you change your pants.....

I am all for a local owner/fan of the club, but when you take on a manager you have to give them time, otherwise like Cellino we keep changing managers because the owner is not happy.

Mel Morris has been here for less than one and half seasons yet we going into our 4th manager, this is not what the club needs.

We need stability.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Other than the Doughty comment Ilson there is not much I agree with here.

Just because he has money, and is "pouring" it in to the club should not eliminate him from criticism - abuse yes, but not criticism. I have close to 50 years emotional investment in this club, and if l want to criticise or challenge him l will.

l am still unsure of the man, and his motives. I, like most people on here, know nothing about the really key matters that have gone on since May 2015, but as an 'outsider' l am wary and feel very uncomfortable with the "revolving door" our managers are walking through. Key relationships don't seem to last too long for whatever reason do they?

You say he has our best interests at heart, and there may be an element of truth in that. But ultimately he is a hard nosed businessman, who wants (and l think craves) to be in the Premier League.  The dumping of Clement when results started to slip and the sudden parachute introduction of Harry suggested to me that he was hoping for a "quick fix" last season. The appointment of Pearson and the jettisoning of the "Derby Way" this season again pointed to a need for substance over style. Inadvertently, perhaps, he seems to have presided over the destruction of some pretty sound (team) foundations and building blocks that were in place when he took over.

My overriding fear is that he appears to be bit of a meddler.  Personally l don't think it helps he is a fan, nor that he has so much power (95% ownership effectively means total control). Accordingly (and l am not standing up for the 'mindless loons' here) l do think fans should speak up with their genuine concerns, for the sake of checks and balances.

Years ago there was a discussion on a sports programme about the popularity of football club chairmen. Almost without exception, their popularity was in direct proportion to the club's position in the league.

So, whilst we were up near the top, MM was flavour of the month/year, at the moment the man's a reptile in humanoid form but with horns sticking out of his head.

To me, he's a top guy, but I have to say that the analogy with Derbyshire County Cricket Club Club (and chairman) is worrying:

• Derbyshire guy made good, with loads of dosh
  • Buys/eases out the old brigade and comes up with a 5 year plan for sustained competition at the top level
  • Wants to see the club dragged forward and be a major player in the sport
  • Puts major emphasis on developing the academy and the club infrastructure
  • Tries to get a winning management team, but somehow, results fail to match the supporters expectations, repeatedly

Uncanny, really.

9 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Has Sam Rush been a good influence on our club?

Its hard to say tbh.

I never really know what CEO's like Tom or Sam do. Its the day to day stuff that the owner(s) don't want to get involved in I suppose.

Sam seems pretty irrelevant since MM took over, at least in public, but i'm sure he's busy behind the scenes making sure we don't end up hiding behind the sofa when the bailffs are at the door like our friends down the A52.

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

Its hard to say tbh.

I never really know what CEO's like Tom or Sam do. Its the day to day stuff that the owner(s) don't want to get involved in I suppose.

Sam seems pretty irrelevant since MM took over, at least in public, but i'm sure he's busy behind the scenes making sure we don't end up hiding behind the sofa when the bailffs are at the door like our friends down the A52.

Or has he taken on the role of chief scout? Seeing as though we only seemingly sign players attached to his last employer Wasserman? When did we last sign an up and coming young player from the lower leagues or Scotland a-la-Clough jnr? It's all big wages and prem cast offs these days, yet all connected. Like as if we needed Blackman??? Hmmmm

Archived