Attitude towards Mel

IlsonDerby

19 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Or has he taken on the role of chief scout? Seeing as though we only seemingly sign players attached to his last employer Wasserman? When did we last sign an up and coming young player from the lower leagues or Scotland a-la-Clough jnr? It's all big wages and prem cast offs these days, yet all connected. Like as if we needed Blackman??? Hmmmm

Any link to which players are/have been represented by Wasserman?

I just googled and found that Wasserman is a test for syphilis.:ph34r:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, philmycock said:

I was that busy deleting posts that may be classed as libellous concerning NP's departure that I never even saw this about Sam raking in the dosh by signing players from his previous employers...

More than one Big Sam eh?

ooohh, buggger, where's that fckin delete button. *****..its like the screen freezing on Redtube just as the missus walks in......

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Other than the Doughty comment Ilson there is not much I agree with here.

Just because he has money, and is "pouring" it in to the club should not eliminate him from criticism - abuse yes, but not criticism. I have close to 50 years emotional investment in this club, and if l want to criticise or challenge him l will.

l am still unsure of the man, and his motives. I, like most people on here, know nothing about the really key matters that have gone on since May 2015, but as an 'outsider' l am wary and feel very uncomfortable with the "revolving door" our managers are walking through. Key relationships don't seem to last too long for whatever reason do they?

You say he has our best interests at heart, and there may be an element of truth in that. But ultimately he is a hard nosed businessman, who wants (and l think craves) to be in the Premier League.  The dumping of Clement when results started to slip and the sudden parachute introduction of Harry suggested to me that he was hoping for a "quick fix" last season. The appointment of Pearson and the jettisoning of the "Derby Way" this season again pointed to a need for substance over style. Inadvertently, perhaps, he seems to have presided over the destruction of some pretty sound (team) foundations and building blocks that were in place when he took over.

My overriding fear is that he appears to be bit of a meddler.  Personally l don't think it helps he is a fan, nor that he has so much power (95% ownership effectively means total control). Accordingly (and l am not standing up for the 'mindless loons' here) l do think fans should speak up with their genuine concerns, for the sake of checks and balances.

Indeed. Very well said.

If you add "...and prone to panic" to the first of your sentences in bold, I would adopt your words without hesitation.

I criticised Mel over the way he handled McClaren. I criticised him over Clement. I praised him fulsomely for the appointment of Pearson. And now I am fuming over what seems to have happened with Pearson.

I do not enjoy criticising the club I have supported all my life, or the owner who has invested more money than I could have ever dared hope in the club. 

I have no doubt that his heart is in the right place but, while I do think having a fan as owner is an asset (especially compared to the alternative), it threatens to become a negative when the owner seems to have difficulty distinguishing between the role of owner and the easy options of a fan.

The owner needs to a clear strategy for the future of the club; short, medium and long term. A strategy is more than a long-term goal or ambition. It is that plus a detailed plan to attain the long-term objectives, complete with the success criteria and 'markers' to measure progress against the plan.

The owner employs those he believes can fulfil the plan and lets them do their jobs. All must be accountable; absolutely. But a  key consideration of the plan, the success criteria and the signposts of progress must be BOTH sufficiently near-term to highlight slippage AND sufficiently distant that short-term fluctuations aren't mistaken for anything else.

The previous owners, whatever their shortcomings, certainly had a clear and defined strategy and stuck to it.

Mel Morris ought not be subject to abuse absolutely. That is a given. But to suggest he should not be criticised is ridiculous. 

Constructive criticism is how performance improves. I would think all of us want that, including Mr Morris.

7 hours ago, toddy said:

I am all for a local owner/fan of the club, but when you take on a manager you have to give them time, otherwise like Cellino we keep changing managers because the owner is not happy.

Mel Morris has been here for less than one and half seasons yet we going into our 4th manager, this is not what the club needs.

We need stability.

Toddy, Owen Bradley wrote a piece the other day stating Pearson had the full backing of Mel and was here for the long term, that was last Friday.

Something happened on Monday where it appeared a line had been crossed and now Pearson appears to be down the road.

We may never find out the ins and outs of it because of confidentiality clauses and all that legal stuff but I'm leaning towards the Mel had no option but to take the action he did on this one side of things because if Mel was so adamant Pearson was going to be here for the long term last Friday after the dross we've produced so far, stability was his priority too.

He's poured millions into the club for transfers, no doubt wages aswell and unlike a lot of chairman he poured millions into the accademy so his/our club can and will have a sustainable long term future well after he's gone.

give the guy a break, yes his recruitment of managers hasn't worked out as we and he had hoped but in the accademy he's put down a marker that will serve this club for years and years to come unlike many fly by night chairman 

I would be ashamed To be a derby fan if we ended up dragging ourselves down to the same level as the red dogs who hounded out one of their own,Nigel Dougherty. who put millions into the club he loved (God knows why) only to be abused constantly to the point he felt he couldn't go to the games and eventually walked away 

What then? another American consortium, no ta 

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Other than the Doughty comment Ilson there is not much I agree with here.

Just because he has money, and is "pouring" it in to the club should not eliminate him from criticism - abuse yes, but not criticism. I have close to 50 years emotional investment in this club, and if l want to criticise or challenge him l will.

l am still unsure of the man, and his motives. I, like most people on here, know nothing about the really key matters that have gone on since May 2015, but as an 'outsider' l am wary and feel very uncomfortable with the "revolving door" our managers are walking through. Key relationships don't seem to last too long for whatever reason do they?

You say he has our best interests at heart, and there may be an element of truth in that. But ultimately he is a hard nosed businessman, who wants (and l think craves) to be in the Premier League.  The dumping of Clement when results started to slip and the sudden parachute introduction of Harry suggested to me that he was hoping for a "quick fix" last season. The appointment of Pearson and the jettisoning of the "Derby Way" this season again pointed to a need for substance over style. Inadvertently, perhaps, he seems to have presided over the destruction of some pretty sound (team) foundations and building blocks that were in place when he took over.

My overriding fear is that he appears to be bit of a meddler.  Personally l don't think it helps he is a fan, nor that he has so much power (95% ownership effectively means total control). Accordingly (and l am not standing up for the 'mindless loons' here) l do think fans should speak up with their genuine concerns, for the sake of checks and balances.

Yes he shouldn't escape criticism entirely but the level of it at the minute is astounding especially considering he's not actually made a decision yet that I can't understand... The managers he has chosen have all been managers a lot of us agreed with. The sacking of those managers came as a surprise but didn't shock me. Especially clement who although had us in 5th also had us free falling down from 1st with the next win looking like it wouldn't be coming any time soon. But this is a matter for another thread. 

The abuse and shouts for him to sell up are crazy, is he an Oyston? No! Is he a gadsby? No! Is he part of the 3 amigos? No 

he's just a decent bloke who wants Derby to be successful and has the resources available to make this happen. 

I love this club as much as anyone else, but.... If I had Mels money I definitely would not throw my money around like he has and so for that I thank you Mel from the bottom of my heart for the time, money, blood, sweat and tears you have put in to our club. 

Your on a hiding to nothing with some of "the keyboard warriors" but I can only speak for myself when I state that I am greatly appreciative of what you have done and are doing for my club. 

Yes there have been some errors in judgement, but he is learning on the job, there is going to be pain on this journey but he will get us to where we all want to be in the end of that I am certain. 

Keep the faith brothers and sisters. 

23 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Idiot. They are worlds apart. 

Hes employed 2 managers and has sacked one for not fulfilling a remit decided at the start of the season. He has suspended the second pending an investigation so there has to be some sort of misconduct that has occurred. 

But please carry on worrying what other clubs fans think of us and letting that shape your opinion...

I suppose so, Cellino has only employed 3 managers compared to our possible 5 [if CP doesn't not get it] in the same time frame.

If an owner is going to sack managers at a whim, the we will never be successful, Success does come from stability, changing your manager as often as we are doing, regardless how good you think your intentions are -  is bad for the club!

How many clubs in in the Prem or Football league have gone through 4 managers in the last 18 mths?

8 hours ago, toddy said:

Turning out to be Derby's answer to Massimo Cellino.

And why's that then?

Clement was sacked for footballing reasons 

PEARSON WAS NOT!!.

How many ****** times do some folk have to be told before it sinks in??

1. Mcclaren was sacked because his head was turned and was never going to stop with us

2. Clement was sacked because he obviously told MM he was on board with his plans (MM confirmed this) and then just went totally in the opposite direction, football was dire.

3. Wassall was only caretaker and doing it as a favour to MM. He wasn't sacked!.

4. Pearson had full support of MM, he's gone and done something Serious which has got him suspended. According to reports (SSN and BBC) due to a bust up.

Tell me in all of those situations, where is MM behaving like Cellino???.

I really do think the level of some peoples intelligence on here is laughable.

Edit: Also Pearson hasn't been sacked yet, although it's highly possible.

2 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

And why's that then?

Clement was sacked for footballing reasons 

PEARSON WAS NOT!!.

How many ****** times do some folk have to be told before it sinks in??

1. Mcclaren was sacked because his head was turned and was never going to stop with us

2. Clement was sacked because he obviously told MM he was on board with his plans (MM confirmed this) and then just went totally in the opposite direction, football was dire.

3. Wassall was only caretaker and doing it as a favour to MM. He wasn't sacked!.

4. Pearson had full support of MM, he's gone and done something Serious which has got him suspended. According to reports (SSN and BBC) due to a bust up.

Tell me in all of those situations, where is MM behaving like Cellino???.

I really do think the level of some peoples intelligence on here is laughable.

1. Mac's head was turned... But he sorted his head out and turned Newcastle down. He then got sacked next day....

2. We were 5th and 5 pts (I think?) away from 1st when Clement was sacked.....

3. He probably had his nose so far up Mel's arse to get that job. Mel finally got his yes man here.

4. We still don't know the full story so still can't say this is the right decision.

It's quite clear to me that there has been a certain amount of 'jumping to conclusions' by a number of posters.

It has been clearly stated that the dismissal of Clement and the suspension of Pearson were for "...non-footballing reasons" - yet the usual suspects keep coming out with "...trigger-happy" and "...poor results" as their interpretation of what that actually means.

Ladies and gentlemen of the kangaroo court, in defence of the Chairman, I put it to you that "sacked for non-footballing reasons" does not mean the same as "sacked for playing non-football".

As a fan I'm thankful we have a local owner that is investing in the future of our club, and we could do a lot worse (eg Celllino & Fatwaz). 

But to think he'd be in it solely for the love of Derby is a blinkered view. ONE promotion gives the club (Mel) £170m, all his investment is paid back in an instant. Sustained Premier league status for a few seasons through building the infrastructure around the club makes a scary amount of money. Mels a business man at the end of the day, not denying his love of the club or being ungrateful but there's a bigger picture.

Our club is very close to achieving this and was before Mels investment, we have a big fan base, fairly new ground, great training facilities (albeit improved thanks to Mel) and we had a team that just missed out on promotion. My point being if an investor was/is looking to buy a football club we are very attractive.

Some fans speak as if we've been saved from the brink of collapse when correct me if I'm wrong, before heavy investment we made it to Wembley?

16 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Wish he'd just **** off to Candy Crush land to be honest.

I've been critical of the way he has been doing things since he spunked all that money on **** after he sacked Mac. Within 6 months he had undone 4-5 years of hard work.

i don't love the club like I once did.

I certainly don't love some of our false entitlement fan-base.

The chairman backed his manager with hard cash, the manager said "I want those players", the manager signed those players, the chairman paid for them. I'm sure that your criticism would have been equally as scathing and one-sided if Mel had told the manager that the injuries to Hughes and Bryson were just one of those things, and that he had to make do with what he had left.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

I certainly don't love some of our false entitlement fan-base.

The chairman backed his manager with hard cash, the manager said "I want those players", the manager signed those players, the chairman paid for them. I'm sure that your criticism would have been equally as scathing and one-sided if Mel had told the manager that the injuries to Hughes and Bryson were just one of those things, and that he had to make do with what he had left.

What he needed to do was stick with Schteve and have 2/3 players to tweak the line up. We were getting there.... Until Mel chucked all the hard work in the bin and started again.

Archived