Attitude towards Mel

IlsonDerby

Having cash, willing to spend it and being a Derby fan doesn't automatically make a good owner.

Mel Morris has made a right pig's ear of on-field matters over the past 18 months or so. Recruitment under his tenure has arguably been the worst of any Derby owner in my lifetime.

His 'look at me' signing of Bradley Johnson sums up his tenure.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Having cash, willing to spend it and being a Derby fan doesn't automatically make a good owner.

Mel Morris has made a right pig's ear of on-field matters over the past 18 months or so. Recruitment under his tenure has arguably been the worst of any Derby owner in my lifetime.

I would say he has approached all the managerial appointments with good intentions but has been incredibly unlucky. On the surface they were all good choices but have each self destructed which is not MM's fault. All we need is a stable character with the ability to get the team playing promotion standard football. Once we are in the Prem everything is in place, finance, ground, academy,training facilities etc... stop f******* moaning . Mel is the new Lionel with x50 the cash ?

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think it's harsh to blame him for recruitment. There were already problems with recruitment before he came in; Albentosa, Shotton and Bent all spring to mind. I think the reason it looked worse when he took over is because he pumped a load of money into the transfer budget.

hiIs Mel picking the players we buy? I assume not, so how he can accused of making a pigs ear of recruitment (or whatever nonsense criticism was made)? All he has done is back his managers. 

But then, Bris knows best (with his 20:20 hindsight vision superpowers)

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Olsson - good signing

Butterfield - good signing

Ince - good signing

Shackell - you'd have to say 'good signing'

Weimann - potential

Blackman - potential

Vydra - looks good so far

Anya - looks great so far

Bent - good option as a free transfer

Johnson - still potential under the right manager.

Camara - who knows!

27 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think it's harsh to blame him for recruitment. There were already problems with recruitment before he came in; Albentosa, Shotton and Bent all spring to mind. I think the reason it looked worse when he took over is because he pumped a load of money into the transfer budget.

Bent was brought in by Mel in June last Year, or at the very least Mel ok'd the deal.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I'm talking about the Bent loan, which was before hand. And wasn't that deal already in place as part of the loan?

No, he was a free agent  I believe since the season finished. Villa couldn't  afford to pay him or something odd?

Might be a bit contradictory at times in this post.

First and foremost Mel shouldn't be getting any stick, I'm all for the questioning of decisions but to give him personally any stick, it's a joke. He should be untouchable for what he's tried to do since he came in, he should be lauded for the the financial commitment he's made. He's put his money and his balls on the line, he can make any decision he wants without facing any kind of personal abuse and cowardly cheap shots behind anonymous user names.

Secondly, until it becomes clear what Pearson was suspended for, there's no way I can decide how good or bad a decision it has been. If Pearson has done anything out of order at all and I mean out of order, not something nancy like shouting at a player or something else so trivial football wise, then Mel is 100% right to show him the door.

If it's football related, results, performance levels, style of play, team selection, training methods etc, then it's the wrong decision and would really cause concern It's Mel's club, it's Mel's decision but Mel shouldn't cross the line between being an incredibly generous and loyal backer to thinking he can accurately judge the shape of the playing side of the club. No matter how much "non football" people (fans and directors with no decent level background in the game and I'd include myself in that group as well) think they know, the reality is often frighteningly different.

I believe Rush (and the majority of non football people) misjudged the strength of the squad, or the shape they were in when he fired NC for example. he couldn't see how close they were to clicking. 

Pearson IS a good manager, things aren't going well but he'll know that better than Mel Morriss,, almost every single fan or any other director of the club, how to put it right. He probably needs to get rid of NC and SMcC's squad and while that won't be nice to see it broken up, it needs to be done for the good of the club. Pearson or any other manager needs to have a core group of "his" players around and I don't think he's got that at Derby. I think he's got players who came to play for NC, who stayed or signed to play for McClaren, then there's the Clement superstars on the big bucks. Not many of those lads expected to be playing for Pearson and maybe they don't fanyy him or he doesn't fancy them. 

He needs time to build his own squad. It doesn't look like he's going to get it. Ridiculous. *unless Pearson has done something wrong "non playing side".

So like I said, it's Mel's club, he's given fans EVERYTHING they've asked for, record signings left right and centre and managerial changes that have always appeared to be attempted upgrades. You can't hang a man for trying to give the fans a club they're so desperate to have. He's spent an absolute fortune to try to build something massive and exciting.

it's Mel's absolute right to make whatever decisions he sees fit to make... but.... he's also got to accept that his decisions and the results they've produced so far, haven't been very good at all.

Those decisions are going to make it harder to attract any kind of manager who isn't desperate to get back into the game. The consequences of these constant changes will mean that in a couple of years time if it continues like this, he'll be looking at managerial candidates like Steve Evans or unknowns, unproven or washed up candidates and even then they'll come knowing they'll have to come in and hit the ground running or the fans and directors will be shouting for another change.

Mel has simply got to stop firing managers. He has to trust one of them, he's got to give up any alleged/potential ideas of getting involved on the playing side. His heart is clearly in the right place but the club has spent nearly 50m quid of his hard earned, it's a club going backwards and is lurching from one fired "for non-football related reasons" to another and that decline has got to be corrected very quickly indeed. 

He's untouchable but he's got to start making the right decisions.

6 minutes ago, toddy said:

I think he played fantastic for Mac in that loan period, then never really turned up in Clements spell, once he had a contract. 

The problem was he wasn't even remotely correct for the system and style of play. Our performances were hindered because of it.

Just to make it clear - Pearson has not been suspended for anything to do with football, results, player power, style of play, formations or any other football reason.

So for anyone to use his suspension (note he has NOT been sacked) as a stick to beat MM with is just plain daft.

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The problem was he wasn't even remotely correct for the system and style of play. Our performances were hindered because of it.

that's just an excuse trotted out by those unwilling to criticise Keogh, Albentosa, Grant or Christie! Bent didn't make Grant start flapping and throwing the ball in.... for example.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Nope, they have only had 2 managers in the last 18 months.

Remind me how many permanent managers have we had in that time? 

Also they had more than 2 around the time they were being promoted ending with the manager who got them up being replaced...

3 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

Just to make it clear - Pearson has not been suspended for anything to do with football, results, player power, style of play, formations or any other football reason.

So for anyone to use his suspension (note he has NOT been sacked) as a stick to beat MM with is just plain daft.

And the reason is..................:thumbsup:

What we don't know is the conversation which led to it.............:thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Remind me how many permanent managers have we had in that time? 

Also they had more than 2 around the time they were being promoted ending with the manager who got them up being replaced...temp till end of season or not

I didn't mention their promotion year in the question, but with CP taking the reins as 1st team coach.

He will be no. 5 in 18 mths -hence why stability is now needed, more interestingly will be how the players now react on the field  

30 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Olsson - good signing

Butterfield - good signing

Ince - good signing

Shackell - you'd have to say 'good signing'

Weimann - potential

Blackman - potential

Vydra - looks good so far

Anya - looks great so far

Bent - good option as a free transfer

Johnson - still potential under the right manager.

Camara - who knows!

Olsson - understandable considering injury to Forsyth

Butterfield - overpriced, but understandable considering Hughes injury

Shackell - overpriced, doesn't fit the profile/system

Weimann - Doesn't fit the system, average player, overpriced

Blackman - Terrible, doesn't fit the system, way overpriced

Vydra - Looks good so far? For £800,000 perhaps, not £8m

Anya - I'll hold judgement, see how he fits with 433. In a 442, very average

Bent - woeful signing. Wages cost, Didn't fit the profile/system at al, makes us weaker when on the pitch

Johnson - Didn't fit the profile, overpriced, bought because he was available nothing more

Camara - Lacks basic football ability, won't make it at this level, overpriced... Who scouted him? Poor spot.

Archived