Attitude towards Mel

IlsonDerby

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I took the comment more as an admittance that the poster has no evidence of any 'meddling' other than the fateful trip to the dressing room, however (s)he sees that as good enough reason to keep on accusing MM of interfering every time something goes wrong.

It's enough for some.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

That's fair enough, I can agree with that.

What I don't like is that we had a solid 5 years of rebuild and we were starting to see the rewards of that.

It just seems like as soon as Mel come in, we chucked all that out of the window and started on a new path of splunking money when it didn't need to be. This has in turn ripped that great dressing room morale and replaced it with overpriced crap who don't have the fight we used to have. 

The added money has increased expectation amongst fans which is causing us to fight between ourselves. Plus the chairman is probably getting pissed off with chucking his money into a black hole and is expecting results. These results ain't happening so he throws more money at sacking the manager.

Its a vicious and toxic circle we're in. He needs to employ someone for 3 years, give him a set budget for that time and disappear into the shadows and let the manager work his magic.

we see things differently. "Dressing room morale" counts for nothing if the team isn't performing, and I'm pretty sure there were still scapegoats on the pitch and plenty of times that players looked to have broken spirits!

Whilst you say it's been thrown out of the window, we still improved on the previous season, so I don't think you're view is justified. As for this season, it ends in May, not September, and the current league position, whilst poor, is not pre-determined.

36 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

That's fair enough, I can agree with that.

What I don't like is that we had a solid 5 years of rebuild and we were starting to see the rewards of that.

It just seems like as soon as Mel come in, we chucked all that out of the window and started on a new path of splunking money when it didn't need to be. This has in turn ripped that great dressing room morale and replaced it with overpriced crap who don't have the fight we used to have. 

The added money has increased expectation amongst fans which is causing us to fight between ourselves. Plus the chairman is probably getting pissed off with chucking his money into a black hole and is expecting results. These results ain't happening so he throws more money at sacking the manager.

Its a vicious and toxic circle we're in. He needs to employ someone for 3 years, give him a set budget for that time and disappear into the shadows and let the manager work his magic.

Agree, especially the toxic environment/ ruining the dressing room on overpriced crap, spot on with that 

Only thing I would add is that Mel backed clement, his manger. probably an error in itself, certainly with hindsight.

But you can't fault him for that, if he had brought clement in and not backed him he would have been chastised or certainly left us all a little disappointed and underwelmed.

But it was clement that brought these players in, I personally think clement has been to us what platt was to forest but that's another conversation.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

we see things differently. "Dressing room morale" counts for nothing if the team isn't performing, and I'm pretty sure there were still scapegoats on the pitch and plenty of times that players looked to have broken spirits!

Whilst you say it's been thrown out of the window, we still improved on the previous season, so I don't think you're view is justified. As for this season, it ends in May, not September, and the current league position, whilst poor, is not pre-determined.

Forest were champions in September last year, so I see no reason why we shouldn't be relegated in the same time frame.

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Other than the Doughty comment Ilson there is not much I agree with here.

Just because he has money, and is "pouring" it in to the club should not eliminate him from criticism - abuse yes, but not criticism. I have close to 50 years emotional investment in this club, and if l want to criticise or challenge him l will.

l am still unsure of the man, and his motives. I, like most people on here, know nothing about the really key matters that have gone on since May 2015, but as an 'outsider' l am wary and feel very uncomfortable with the "revolving door" our managers are walking through. Key relationships don't seem to last too long for whatever reason do they?

You say he has our best interests at heart, and there may be an element of truth in that. But ultimately he is a hard nosed businessman, who wants (and l think craves) to be in the Premier League.  The dumping of Clement when results started to slip and the sudden parachute introduction of Harry suggested to me that he was hoping for a "quick fix" last season. The appointment of Pearson and the jettisoning of the "Derby Way" this season again pointed to a need for substance over style. Inadvertently, perhaps, he seems to have presided over the destruction of some pretty sound (team) foundations and building blocks that were in place when he took over.

My overriding fear is that he appears to be bit of a meddler.  Personally l don't think it helps he is a fan, nor that he has so much power (95% ownership effectively means total control). Accordingly (and l am not standing up for the 'mindless loons' here) l do think fans should speak up with their genuine concerns, for the sake of checks and balances.

That sums up my feeling of the man entirely. But I am a mindless loon too.

42 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree, especially the toxic environment/ ruining the dressing room on overpriced crap, spot on with that 

Only thing I would add is that Mel backed clement, his manger. probably an error in itself, certainly with hindsight.

But you can't fault him for that, if he had brought clement in and not backed him he would have been chastised or certainly left us all a little disappointed and underwelmed.

But it was clement that brought these players in, I personally think clement has been to us what platt was to forest but that's another conversation.

Surely, being a businessman and fan, he could see and should know that if your staff are performing well but need a little help, you employ one or two people in the right areas, on a similar wage to the current employees?.

So whilst he backed Clement, both should have been aware that there was no need for several new players on stupid wages. And I'm not saying that in hindsight, it was worrying at the time when each day I'd login to facebook and see we'd signed a new player.

At the interview stage it should have been said to Clement, "You can buy players but this is the wage structure". Not sign anyone who's looking good at any cost.

Thats where you have to admire Arsene Wenger.

20 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Surely, being a businessman and fan, he could see and should know that if your staff are performing well but need a little help, you employ one or two people in the right areas, on a similar wage to the current employees?.

So whilst he backed Clement, both should have been aware that there was no need for several new players on stupid wages. And I'm not saying that in hindsight, it was worrying at the time when each day I'd login to facebook and see we'd signed a new player.

At the interview stage it should have been said to Clement, "You can buy players but this is the wage structure". Not sign anyone who's looking good at any cost.

Thats where you have to admire Arsene Wenger.

I think we/Mel were just caught chasing the dream.

not going to beat him over the head over it because if Bradley had carried on his early form and if ince had reproduced his sparkling performances whilst on loan we'd probably be sat in the premiership by now

that aint mels fault

so while on one hand Mel has chased the dream with some lavish signings/backed his managers to the hilt he has also laid a foundation in the accademy which means we may never want for again lol

Well not quite, but u know what I mean.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

We have in the last season and a half now gone through 4 managers heading onto our 5th if CP doesn't get it,  - even Celliino has managed that many?

How many teams in the prem or football league have gone through 4 managers in that time frame?

Please enlighten me?

There is a problem at Derby County, every action has a consequence  - being a rich fan does not mean you are doing things correct .

Until we have stability at this club - we will not get anyway in this league.

How many managers did Watford have the season they went up ? Not disagreeing with you but you would hardly call them stable.

2 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Just out of interest, If Mel wasn't a local man, would there still be as much love for him?.

I very much doubt it.

Yet he is a local man who we all know is a big fan of the club throwing his millions into it. He isnt some random Kuwaiti businessman.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I took the comment more as an admittance that the poster has no evidence of any 'meddling' other than the fateful trip to the dressing room, however (s)he sees that as good enough reason to keep on accusing MM of interfering every time something goes wrong.

Do I have 100% inconclusive evidence? No. I don't think twitter and forum posts from people ITK would qualify as that.

for example, Clement's brother has been shouting about all his meddling on Twitter.

5 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Just out of interest, If Mel wasn't a local man, would there still be as much love for him?.

I very much doubt it.

ignorant fans are ignorant regardless!

He's given the fans what they've been begging for over the last decade. The managers have not been as good as they could, he's done something about it.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

The one thing to take into account is, had Pearson been top of the league, had Clement's arse not fallen out and the team started plummeting, and had McClaren's team not dropped from 1st to 8th in about 12 games, Mel would have no need to get 'involved'.

1 hour ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Which players wages are you on about and how much are they on?

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

The one thing to take into account is, had Pearson been top of the league, had Clement's arse not fallen out and the team started plummeting, and had McClaren's team not dropped from 1st to 8th in about 12 games, Mel would have no need to get 'involved'.

Hate to tell you this, but there are 23 other teams in the league, with the majority aiming for the same outcome.  If Mel feels he need to get involved every time the team goes through a bad patch, then we may as well get the revolving door we'll and truly fitted now.  

4 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Hate to tell you this, but there are 23 other teams in the league, with the majority aiming for the same outcome.  If Mel feels he need to get involved every time the team goes through a bad patch, then we may as well get the revolving door we'll and truly fitted now.  

Bad Patch? talk about sugar coating it.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Bad Patch? talk about sugar coating it.

What am I sugar coating ? I'm not quite with you, you are the one quoting that Mel got invlolved because results weren't going our way, not me.

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

What am I sugar coating ? I'm not quite with you, you are the one quoting that Mel got invlolved because results weren't going our way, not me.

no I never, I said the reverse, he WOULDN'T have needed to get involved if the results hadn't started not going our way. There's a massive difference.

Archived