Mel: Case for defence

Gritty

Completely thought Pearson was a great idea myself, so I can't really fault Mel, can I? But it clearly didn't work, and he took decisive action that led to a win last night. Will we win more games after? Hope so!

I didn't really agree with how Clement went, but this feels very different and I don't think he's done much wrong, and I'll be interested to see if anything from the internal investigation comes out publicly.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

I could listen all day but I have never, ever understood the criticism of Mel.

I hope he is our chairman for many, many years to come and I if I met him I would thank him for his contribution to the club.

I understand why some people criticise him and I also understand why some people support him. 

If we actually learnt what the reason for Clement been sacked was then people may see the real story.

But as we are in the dark over Clement people cannot say whether it was the right call or not.

Same goes for Pearson right now, He has only been suspended pending an investigation. If the investigation comes out and see's him sacked then we can only guess it was the right call as it had a full investigation into his behaviour.

11 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I understand why some people criticise him and I also understand why some people support him. 

If we actually learnt what the reason for Clement been sacked was then people may see the real story.

But as we are in the dark over Clement people cannot say whether it was the right call or not.

Same goes for Pearson right now, He has only been suspended pending an investigation. If the investigation comes out and see's him sacked then we can only guess it was the right call as it had a full investigation into his behaviour.

To be fair, he gave us a reason for Clement and we will probably get a reason for Pearson.

Maybe he hasn't told us the "real story" because there isn't one to tell.

55 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Mel Morris will never get any stick from me.

Imagine just for a minute what you would do in his shoes. You had millions of pounds to invest in the football club that you've supported all of your life, would every decision you make be a business one or would some of them be made from the heart.

I would imagine that he has at least a 15 year plan that will take him into his early 70s and this plan isn't just the first team, its players as young as 6 years old that he is now creating a facility that is one of the best in the country if not in Europe. Our training centre is a jaw dropping experience if you've never been in there and is just about to get even better.

We should support this guy with every move, good or bad and keep singing his name from the stands. He is going to get it right for US, we will have a team in the Premiership very soon, it might not be next year or the year after but it will be soon.

He is one of our own and that doesn't come around very often so let's stick by his plans and support him every step of the way.

exactly my thoughts . i think it would have been better if mel wasnt top of the elm and had hired experiance staff installed in his position just like most  buisneses do. that way he wouldnt be taking any flack and it  wouldnt be seen as a hobby.only my thoughts and excuse my spelling ;)

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I have to disagree about giving Clement a fair crack. At the time of his appointment, it was made clear that we were going to continue the 'Derby way'. Clement must have agreed to this, but after half of the season,  it was obvious to anyone watching the team, that this was not the case. So basically, he must have lied at the interview to get the job. 

Since then, i think Mell has realised how difficult it is to find a manager to play the 'Derby way'. We don't know what has happened between Mell and NP, but if a discussion between the two became violent, then there would have to be a going of their separate ways. 

Whilst he isn't perfect,  i find any likening of Mell to Fawaz and Cellino to be disgusting. If you've got a lot of money, it isn't easy to achieve success at a club, you need a fair bit of luck as well. But if your intentions are honourable, you spend your money to improve the club in any way possible. Compare our ground and training facilities with those at Leeds and forest. 

What is the Derby way?

48 minutes ago, europia said:

Probably one and the same.

The Mel chap is a nightmare, clearly he doesn't like being questioned and will put off any good manager coming forward. Pearson would sort us out, unfortunately MM wants played 9 won 9 F 64 A 0 and then he would be happy. Had enough of this crap as a fan for 49 years thank god the Ryder Cup is on which is a based on true sporting spirit. MEL Might get what he wished for but opposite to promotion and more chance of relegation. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

The Mel chap is a nightmare, clearly he doesn't like being questioned and will put off any good manager coming forward. Pearson would sort us out, unfortunately MM wants played 9 won 9 F 64 A 0 and then he would be happy. Had enough of this crap as a fan for 49 years thank god the Ryder Cup is on which is a based on true sporting spirit. MEL Might get what he wished for but opposite to promotion and more chance of relegation. 

How do you know? Pearson was without the assistants who did all of his signings and most of his coaching.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

I just cant believe  we are having this conversation yet again...

I don't think Mel has really put a foot wrong .. Even the dressing room story which he concedes was an error made because he cares about his club. 

.. Wait don't shoot me down

Steve Mac .. Good manager, going through a bad spell got his head turned. Fair enough Steve but we need to know where we stand .. So what's your position ? .. Steve wriggled understandably, it must have enticing and flattering, but fair enough from Mel who decided he wasn't comfortable if his top man was sitting on a fence. I wouldn't be

Paul Clement .. Brave decision to appoint a well thought of young coach with no championship experience rather than the "usual suspects" but as with any job there is a brief. It wasn't being met. Perhaps the decision was hasty perhaps not. Who can say ?

Nigel Pearson.. Logical decision to target a man who has a lot of experience at our level while putting a temporary coach in charge until that man is free to sign. Backed him despite poor results and poor displays but evidently something serious outside football matters has occurred and like any employer the club acted correctly by suspending him while matters are investigated. 

It is very sad that these 3 things have happened in short order but as individual actions, none seem weird, wrong or unreasonable.

In every interview I have seen with Mel, he comes across as a clear headed rational thinking man. I very much doubt he is any different in private.

i notice radio derby is now talking about an "altercation" I am not going to speculate on what that means without any details. A pointless and unhelpful excercise for everyone but to suggest that Mel is doing anything other then his level best in a sensible manner for DCFC is just frankly ...stonewall offside 

32 minutes ago, jono said:

I don't think Mel has really put a foot wrong .. Even the dressing room story which he concedes was an error made because he cares about his club. 

.. Wait don't shoot me down

Steve Mac .. Good manager, going through a bad spell got his head turned. Fair enough Steve but we need to know where we stand .. So what's your position ? .. Steve wriggled understandably, it must have enticing and flattering, but fair enough from Mel who decided he wasn't comfortable if his top man was sitting on a fence. I wouldn't be

Paul Clement .. Brave decision to appoint a well thought of young coach with no championship experience rather than the "usual suspects" but as with any job there is a brief. It wasn't being met. Perhaps the decision was hasty perhaps not. Who can say ?

Nigel Pearson.. Logical decision to target a man who has a lot of experience at our level while putting a temporary coach in charge until that man is free to sign. Backed him despite poor results and poor displays but evidently something serious outside football matters has occurred and like any employer the club acted correctly by suspending him while matters are investigated. 

It is very sad that these 3 things have happened in short order but as individual actions, none seem weird, wrong or unreasonable.

In every interview I have seen with Mel, he comes across as a clear headed rational thinking man. I very much doubt he is any different in private.

i notice radio derby is now talking about an "altercation" I am not going to speculate on what that means without any details. A pointless and unhelpful excercise for everyone but to suggest that Mel is doing anything other then his level best in a sensible manner for DCFC is just frankly ...stonewall offside 

Mel puts his money in, the club is run properly on all fronts from what I've seen thus far and Mel seems to be no more than an overpassionate supporter who has made the odd mistake.

Haven't we all?

That's all I wanted to add to jono's excellent post of which all of it I agree with.

1 hour ago, Andrew James said:

So it's Pearson In, Mel out for you?  Sometimes I really wish there was a 'dislike' option !  

Although I must admit I'm looking forward to the Ryder Cup too, so some common ground I suppose. 

I would rather have Mel morris in charge of derby than anyone else. Local man done good. He has invested  heavily  into derby County.  Yes it hasn't  gone to plan. At the moment  we don't  know why Pearson has been suspended  but it must be a serious  matter. From Friday telling owen bradley he's  our man then 48hrs suspending Pearson.  Keep the faith. 

30 minutes ago, Highgate said:

So it's Pearson In, Mel out for you?  Sometimes I really wish there was a 'dislike' option !  

Although I must admit I'm looking forward to the Ryder Cup too, so some common ground I suppose. 

I'd have happily seen Mel go on a three month holiday, and Pearson carry on, and the players that have once again been given a stay of execution, aka "fresh start" were 'out'.

21 minutes ago, BarrowRam said:

I would rather have Mel morris in charge of derby than anyone else. Local man done good. He has invested  heavily  into derby County.  Yes it hasn't  gone to plan. At the moment  we don't  know why Pearson has been suspended  but it must be a serious  matter. From Friday telling owen bradley he's  our man then 48hrs suspending Pearson.  Keep the faith. 

Maybe on Friday he was 'Mel's man'? If as reported there was a bust up on Monday and unsurprisingly Pearson didn't back down....only one outcome.

Archived