Beer Thread

Cisse

On 24/08/2018 at 10:11, TuffLuff said:

Got one of them beer52 codes off a podcast I listen to. 8 craft beers for £2.95 for the first month (£24 after do make sure to unsubscribe). Ordered at 2pm yesterday and should be here today! Always wary of these types of deals (ie you are probably getting the stock that doesn’t sell) but I’ll let you know how it is!

Each month has a theme, so it’s not usually leftovers. I however cancelled mine and preferred the Mikeller beer club which is 9 beers a month and some freebies. It’s a little more pricey at £39ish including free UPS delivery from Denmark but the quality is so much better. 

The beers are usually one offs. I’ve got a code for half price, drop me a PM if interested!

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Each month has a theme, so it’s not usually leftovers. I however cancelled mine and preferred the Mikeller beer club which is 9 beers a month and some freebies. It’s a little more pricey at £39ish including free UPS delivery from Denmark but the quality is so much better. 

The beers are usually one offs. I’ve got a code for half price, drop me a PM if interested!

Aye, when it got delivered it advertised next month as Oktoberfest which has given me the temptation to stick with it for another month. It’s certainly a lot better than I expected.

And yes please on that code for miekeller. Will send you a PM in a bit, much appreciated 

Tucking into a Wander Beyond (Manchester) 'Bloom' an 11% Imperial Black Icecream IPA with chocolate & strawberry. Yes I know that makes little sense, but it works, believe me.

I'll let my mate Barry AKA The Crafty Aardvark describe it, because I'm rubbish at that sort of thing. Lovely bloke, great enthusiasm.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Crafty-Aardvark-285768348470784/

So, you want a beer that'll mess with your head?
Well......this'll do the job (seriously it really will).

Wander Beyond Brewing.
Bloom, Imperial Black Icecream IPA,
With chocolate and strawberries @ 11%.

Absolutely jet black colour.
Fluffy, short lived caramel head.
Fast foamy carbonation.

Aroma is incredible...and confusing.
Massive sweet creamy vanilla, milk chocolate and strawberry (it smells like Neapolitan ice cream). There's also coffee, caramel and a faint hint of tropical fruit....it smells like an imperial stout.

Erm....it's stunning...but confusing.
Straight away it's smooth and super creamy with vanilla, chocolate and soft caramel.
-
The middle adds a really prominent strawberry and a light, really fruity coffee, so far it's basically an imperial stout.
-
Ok, now it's an IPA...the finish is rammed with juicy pineapple, mango and soft ripe peach, there's also a nice citrus rind bitterness that mixes with the coffee.

Absolutely one of the most unusual beers I've ever had...it's really weird.
Straight away you'd say "IPA is a misprint, it's clearly an imperial stout"
Its full on sweet, creamy, chocolatey and....well....imperial stouty.
However the finish is 100% IPA, full on juicy tropical fruit, it's really surprising, the shift from sweet creamy imperial stout to full on juicy DIPA is utterly phenomenal.
Yes it's essentially a DIPA, in fact some triple IPAs aren't this strength, however it's really well hidden underneath a mountain of flavour.
One of the most remarkable and awesome beers I've recently had.....and definitely one of the most confusing and complex.
Absolutely delicious, definitely worth buying.

39976855_682771148770500_386043842809718

Edited by Coconut

On 24/08/2018 at 15:05, TuffLuff said:

To be fair, not bad! The lowest % is 5.6 though...

B260D56B-5762-48DC-8249-F1A4390E2153.jpeg

Cheers for that - I'm a B52 subscriber but I skipped this months box as I was on holiday, so good to see what was in it.

I find the themes hit and miss - some have been excellent and some have been really poor. I'm giving it a couple more months - at which point I'll have enough of their "loyalty points" to get a free box, then I'm going to cancel and spend my £24 in Beer Metropolis in Little Eaton. At least then you can choose your beers and it's actually far better value as you aren't paying for postage, a magazine and a bag of crisps

Also watch out that they also send their monthly subscription boxes every 4 weeks , so 1) that's not strictly monthly and 2) it inevitably ends up taking you by surprise when the payment comes out the day before pay day

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Public service announcement...

Lidl Chaddo have the Belgian boxes in stock. Gulden Draak, Bornem,  Piraat.

I just bought 6 boxes.

Thanks the heads up

They're also in stock at the Normanton Road Lidl. Not displayed next to any other beer, that'd be too easy.

Picked up 5 of the 8 on the shelf.

Edited by Coconut

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Thanks the heads up

They're also in stock at the Normanton Road Lidl. Not displayed next to any other beer, that'd be too easy.

Picked up 5 of the 8 on the shelf.

It'd be a shame to let them go to waste.

9 hours ago, Matt H said:

It'd also be a shame not to drink the Gulden Draak in its matching 'dragon egg' glass

41616343_10217372739971500_4551995056868

In December, we will be drinking it in its special glass, looking up at the gulden draak on the cathedral spire in Gent.

859353218_gentspire.jpg.339a418a07818add760e27a85f94a8cb.jpg

5 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Can of Budweiser after lunch today.

Miles better than most of the soil and wood flavoured stuff posted in here.

You are doing the world a great service, Joe - in the same way that sewage farms do.

Edited by eddie

On 13/09/2018 at 15:28, eddie said:

Currently trying a Tynt Meadow in the Canal House in Nottingham.

Ordinary so far as Dubbels go.

On 13/09/2018 at 15:33, eddie said:

You are doing the world a great service, Joe - in the same way that sewage farms do.

And you...Nottingham?????