Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

DEL

35 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

No comment your honour. :ph34r:

The DET reports that The accused faced a charge of  failing to be in possession of a ball or shooting with intent to hit the back of the net. Prosecutor, Grumpy Allenton, stated that an absence of an actual ball (or balls ) did not constitute mitigating circumstances. Sentence deferred until Saturday 5.00 pending potential new evidence 

yes I know I am weird :blink: but it helps sometimes

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe try a 4-2-3-1, with attacking fullbacks . Get Bryson and Hughes right up there behind Vydra. Something like:

Anya - Keogh - Pearce - Lowe

Johnson Hanson 

Bryson Hughes Elsnik

Vydra 

19 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Carson

Lowe

Christie (unfortunatelly)

Keogh

Pearce

Weimann

Bryso

Hughesy

Anya

Vydra

Blackman

Subs

Mitchell

Johnson

Bent

Butterfield

Elsnik

Ollson

Ince

Wilson/ Shackell injured

14 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

You look at that squad and wonder just how the hell are we in the bottom 5, scored 2 league goals in 9 and have just 6 points when compared to many squads in the division. Very strange.

The formation is rubbish. Still worth a try

I'd be happy with the Ipswich or Bristol line up. I believe the defence is settled and Wilson Vydra will come good.  Midfield mix isn't quite right yet but fundamentally I don't think there is anything seriously wrong that a couple of goals won't cure. 

These next two games will, I believe define our season. Take 6 points, the clouds will lift, we will move onwards and upwards.

less than 4 points and we will get bogged down in a potentially self destructive ditch. 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

I'd be happy with the Ipswich or Bristol line up. I believe the defence is settled and Wilson Vydra will come good.  Midfield mix isn't quite right yet but fundamentally I don't think there is anything seriously wrong that a couple of goals won't cure. 

These next two games will, I believe define our season. Take 6 points, the clouds will lift, we will move onwards and upwards.

less than 4 points and we will get bogged down in a potentially self destructive ditch. 

Sounds like another Alan Partridge quote! :lol: 

I agree. The defence is pretty sorted with Shackell / Pearce the only issue but I've no problem with either. I'd like Christie especially to be more adventurous and get down the wing and put balls into the area. His crossing is something that needs to be addressed but at least if he's making the efforts to get up there and push play forward then credit for that at least. It all creates tempo and an increased attacking purpose which is what we want.

What we don't want is midfielders sluggishly rolling the ball 2 yards back and sideways to one another. Our midfield is decent but we have nobody taking up positions beyond and moving intelligently. It's all pretty rigid and predictable. It doesn't seem to matter who plays because they are all alike it seems so can't see this changing unless we move the ball quicker to the front men who also need to start thinking about more intelligent movement in order to create space and make runs for the midfield to have more options.

To be honest all this has been an issue for weeks and weeks so I don't quite know what is being worked on at the training ground but hopefully better awareness and movement. Anya has given us a bit of width and nip up top but other than that we look like there is no change. Predictable and slow. Easy to set up against.

There is one player at Derby who is scoring for fun at the moment. Charles Vernam, who will be 20 next month, has scored six goals in six games for the U23s. He's the only player to have scored for them. Given our current difficulties, I would suggest he should have earnt himself a place on the bench for this match. He's only 10 months younger than Wilson who we're giving game time to when we should also be prepared to promote promising goalscorers of our own. The current first team and squad are all struggling for confidence in front of goal so why not include a player who is clearly brimming with it?

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

There is one player at Derby who is scoring for fun at the moment. Charles Vernam, who will be 20 next month, has scored six goals in six games for the U23s. He's the only player to have scored for them. Given our current difficulties, I would suggest he should have earnt himself a place on the bench for this match. He's only 10 months younger than Wilson who we're giving game time to when we should also be prepared to promote promising goalscorers of our own. The current first team and squad are all struggling for confidence in front of goal so why not include a player who is clearly brimming with it?

I was quite surprised with the youth on the bench on Tuesday, Vernam wasn't on there too. He seems to be scoring fairly well at the moment for the U23's. Would have been good experience if nothing else.

54 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm all for it but many managers when struggling and under pressure don't take risks, in fact they do the opposite oddly and become even more safe which in turn means nothing changes, results and performances don't improve and they get the boot anyway. Never made sense to me that. Van Gaal only went with Rashford due to an injury crisis and look what happened. There will be lads in the reserves at clubs who can have an impact similar to Rashford but they'll never see the light of day.

No harm in introducing the lad for a bit in games and emphasising that there is no pressure. That's the worry, bringing them into a struggling side and knocking the confidence out of them but it's a chance and if they get one under these circumstances i'd advise them to do their utmost to take it with both hands.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

A really good point. Bringing in fresh ;legs and enthusiasm is always great.

But in this situation I can't help thinking that the first team/core squad have got to battle through the current **** spell for us to succeed. They are all big boys (and cost lots). If shirt no.s 1-20 can't find it in themselves, we are truly mired.

4 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'm all for it but many managers when struggling and under pressure don't take risks, in fact they do the opposite oddly and become even more safe which in turn means nothing changes, results and performances don't improve and they get the boot anyway. Never made sense to me that. Van Gaal only went with Rashford due to an injury crisis and look what happened. There will be lads in the reserves at clubs who can have an impact similar to Rashford but they'll never see the light of day.

No harm in introducing the lad for a bit in games and emphasising that there is no pressure. That's the worry, bringing them into a struggling side and knocking the confidence out of them but it's a chance and if they get one under these circumstances i'd advise them to do their utmost to take it with both hands.

I would always want a youngster on the bench. Chance to show themselves and also good for moral even if they don't come on. Yes let's have him on the bench and if we are 2 up give the lad 5 or 10 minutes depending on circumstances 

7 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Because Christie has been shocking for far too long. I suppose I could do what most do in these threads every week and keep picking the same failures, then moaning when yet again we struggle. 

Now that we are a team of fairly small players in midfield and up front Christie is the only target ( now that Forsyth is injured) that Carson may get the ball to on the half way line.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

To right, play our own 

20 hours ago, Highgate said:

Has anyone been playing well?

Haven't seen anything from Blackman to suggest he warrants a place in the starting 11.  I wouldn't even have him on the bench.  I'd prefer to see a 3 man midfield, with the two wide men supporting the lone striker but that's just a personal choice.  But whether it's a 3 or 2 man midfield, Hughes has to play.   You see it differently, fair enough. 

I only base this on the fact the Pearson will play a 4-4-2 regardless, we've seen that much already. Given a blank piece of paper my team might be very different. I get the Hughes has to play, I was the same at the start of the season, but the team is bigger than any individual and if he's being asked to do things which negate his effectiveness, then I'm afraid he doesn't have to play. Those who have to play are the ones who make the most effective team and complement each other the best. Whoever they may be. At the moment I'd be tempted to play Bryson and Johnson if a 2 man midfield was required.

Team I would pick:

Carson
Christie Keogh Shackell Anya
Hughes Butterfield Johnson
Ince            Vydra      Wiemann

I've said it before, but Ince and Butterfield HAVE to play. They're the only two players capable of scoring a goal from their own creation. 

Team I expect to play:

Carson
Christie Keogh Pearce Olsson
Butterfield Hughes Bryson Anya
Vydra   Bent

I'll reserve judgement to see what team and formation we play before predicting anything, but this is a huge game. 

Archived