• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mitchell

Anya    Keogh    Pearce    Lowe

Johnson    Bryson

Camara    Hughes    Weimann 

Vydra 

Subs: Weale, Christie, Olsson, Butterfield, Ince, Vernam.

Big game this! We should be beating these easily and I'd like to see the team shaken up with some lively attackers. And definitely do what Carl Sagan says - if we have an under 23 scoring for fun then give him a chance!

My team would be:

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Pearce   Olsson

Weimann  Bryson  Johnson  Anya

Hughes

Vydra

Subs: Mitchell, Ince, Butterfield, Bent, Hanson, Camara, Shackell (if fit)

Would be very tempted to put Vernam on the bench though.

I would like to see Vydra and Weiman on Saturday. I don't think Wilson is fully fit. He's got something but we have only seen it in very small portions. .. Bent .. I still think he has something to offer but I suspect inside knowledge of the opposition players should be the driver to when he plays. He isn't quick any more but he is still very powerful. Against a certain type of defender I think he could still do real damage 

Weimann won't play up front.. He haven't played in that position under NP during the pre season though. 

Bryson better be dropped.. If he's starting then I hope he get yellow card mean he won't play on Tuesday if get booked. 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Assuming we retain the front two, which combination would you go for?

Vydra and Wilson

Vydra and Bent

Vydra and Weimann

I have this weird suspicion that Vydra and Bent might actually work quite well. Although my head say's Vydra and Weimann.

Vydra and Weimann for me. I've given up on Bent and I really don't understand what people see in Wilson, both in terms of the games he's played for us and his loans at other clubs.

Vydra and Wilson

Vydra and Bent

Vydra and Weimann

I have this weird suspicion that Vydra and Bent might actually work quite well. Although my head say's Vydra and Weimann.

Vydra and Wilson. 

I don't think we really know how good any of our combinations are because they haven't had the service and support of our midfield yet.

Bryson, Hughes and Butterfield have all been busy trying to win their battles and protect the back four.

Only when they have the confidence to venture further forward will we see how our strikers deal with better service.

Last Saturday gave us glimpses.

I just think they will all look better players once they have a goal or two under their belts.

Vydra and Wilson

Vydra and Bent

Vydra and Weimann

none of the above.

Vydra and Ince

Had high hopes for Weimann coming from Villa but he's one of the worst players I've seen for us - all of a sudden he's Pearson's darling. Anticipates nothing and chases after balls with little ability to beat people. I'm hoping he's as good as others think he is (move him central ?) because apart from being Johnny on the spot a couple of times he's been pretty dire, and at best, extremely inconsistent.

19 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Had high hopes for Weimann coming from Villa but he's one of the worst players I've seen for us - all of a sudden he's Pearson's darling. Anticipates nothing and chases after balls with little ability to beat people. I'm hoping he's as good as others think he is (move him central ?) because apart from being Johnny on the spot a couple of times he's been pretty dire, and at best, extremely inconsistent.

I thought he looked lively and was showing signs of a partnership with Bent on Tues. He anticipated Bent would win the header and got touches on a few knockdowns. Had he been match fit I think could have got in behind the defence once or twice.

Is there a striker in our squad you rate? I've not been very active on here but the majority of your posts I've seen have been shooting Martin down. 

Just now, mrdave85 said:

I thought he looked lively and was showing signs of a partnership with Bent on Tues. He anticipated Bent would win the header and got touches on a few knockdowns. Had he been match fit I think could have got in behind the defence once or twice.

Is there a striker in our squad you rate? I've not been very active on here but the majority of your posts I've seen have been shooting Martin down. 

No. I think we have an extremely poor set of strikers. Vydra is a big question mark, as is Wilson, and I liked what I saw of Zanzala but he's toast until next season. 

Assuming fitness, Pearson must go with Wilson and Vydra until their strong partnership forms or they just fail. Bent is good at heading the ball on so could provide a foil for Vydra - that's a possibility - but bent is infuriating to watch he's so inconsistent and offside an unforgivable amount. Didn't surprise me that we were strongly linked with another striker in the window. Think we will get one in Jan.

Agree with Ninos about Bent but I just think we need someone up there, especially at home to get on the end of crosses and hold the ball up / win headers. Wilson, Anya, Vydra are all a bit small and nippy and with no physical present up there we struggle to sustain attacks. Bent is one of my least favourite players from what I've seen this season but he did make the effort first half v Liverpool and if he can just wake up a bit and put in that workrate then I'd prefer Bent purely because he's a physical presence and can get on the end of things.

Away from home when teams press us it might be better to go with Anya, Weimann, Vydra, Wilson or whatever to hit them with pace but at home it's not working.

Archived