Should Pearson be shown the door?

oldtimeram

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

It does amuse me that some people accusing us of being a laughing stock in the recent past are now advocating dumping Pearson at this stage.

For me, he's got to have the season at least - unless we're in danger of relegation come march time - which I don't believe for a moment we will be.

Yes to get rid of another manager prematurely would see the club lose credibility and hamper progress.

Having said that, Watford seem to have made a success of it somehow....

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there were a few signs last night that he's starting to lose them. As somebody stated in another thread, it looks as if a fair few of the players don't have any idea what they're supposed to be doing. 

If they don't understand what they're supposed to be doing then it's only a matter of time before they're gone. The formation was a shambles let alone the system. Players were going to press only to be barked at not to. 

It either needs to be a colossal January or a change needs to be made.

Quite obviously the wrong choice stylistically from the onset, that was a given before a ball was kicked. Given far too much praise for taking 3 seasons to get that Leicester side up. We've gone backwards rapidly. Players look uninterested. No promising signs. Why is NP still at the helm? Get rid because this is going absolutely nowhere but one way. 

47 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Derby County have gone from a team that excited and thrilled to one that is dull and quite joyless to watch. They have no self-belief and I cannot see where the next goal is coming from let alone the next win. 

Excellently put.

PS - Welcome to DCFC Fans. I always enjoyed your posts on 'the dark side'.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you knew he was only here until the end of the season to try and turn around an underperfoming team then why were there all of the hysterics?

If you knew we were a failure of a team which needed a clear out why did Wassall come in for such abuse?

When did the clear out of players become necessary?

NP was supposed to be the experienced manager you craved,  one that would get extra out of the players we already had to get us over the line, the wonderful man manager, the one that would put round pegs in round holes. I will ask you once again...What changed?

The possible reason Wassall came in for abuse was because fans maybe thought it was just an easy task, Clement slow pass pass had not worked, but Mac had it right with these players, so just do what he had done before......But fans forget what Maclaren had done previously had not worked, weren't good enough then and we aren't good enough now, (if promotion is the measure).

The task NP has taken on is possibly much bigger than originally imagined.

I have said many times this season, the team of MaClaren had peaked, in other words,  Mac got the best out of them at that time but unfortunately that was still not good enough (if promotion is your goal), so maybe those bits of the jigsaw that do not now fit are being replaced, it is not a quick fix. You build from the back, get the spine right and the rest will follow.

NP needs at least a season for this to work

I've got a bad feeling about these next 3 games. Blackburn at home will be horrible, may or may not win. We dont very often take anything from Cardiff and Reading away out of form is tough. Sat 1st October 5pm i honestly think we could be bottom of the league. International break bottom of the league, rightly or wrongly Mel will be feeling the pressure to drop the axe.

8 minutes ago, toddy said:

The possible reason Wassall came in for abuse was because fans maybe thought it was just an easy task, Clement slow pass pass had not worked, but Mac had it right with these players, so just do what he had done before......But fans forget what Maclaren had done previously had not worked, weren't good enough then and we aren't good enough now, (if promotion is the measure).

The task NP has taken on is possibly much bigger than originally imagined.

I have said many times this season, the team of MaClaren had peaked, in other words,  Mac got the best out of them at that time but unfortunately that was still not good enough (if promotion is your goal), so maybe those bits of the jigsaw that do not now fit are being replaced, it is not a quick fix. You build from the back, get the spine right and the rest will follow.

NP needs at least a season for this to work.

Weren't good enough or hampered by circumstance?

5 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Mel looks happy

Mel looks happy ?. 

Should we fail to get a goal or at least get something positive out of these now very important next 2 games that will almost certainly change.

If the worst senario happens & we have just 6 points & just 2 league goals after 10 league games I can't foresee anything other than Pearson being shown the door & very quickly. Whether that's the right or wrong decision won't really matter.

12 minutes ago, toddy said:

Weren't good 3 seasons running, but only if we are measuring promotion as the goal.

If we aren't, then we've been good enough..........

When Leicester finished 9th and 6th under Pearson were they not good enough and would it have been justified to sack Pearson, change the formation, and sell the top scorer?

When Middlesbrough finished 12th and 4th under Karanka were they not good enough and would it have been justified to sack Karanka, change the formation, and sell the top scorer?

17 minutes ago, cannable said:

And why weren't we good enough?

Because the players peaked and unfortunately possibly never to reach those heights again.

Will Hughes is a great player for us, possibly our best.

But he is still here playing for Derby in the championship  why?

Confidence amongst the players is shot and has been at the start of the last 3 seasons.

Yes I know we had injuries, yes I know we had Mac dreaming of pastures greener on the other side, but for 3 seasons running we failed to get across the line. Lets not forget at Christmas in those 3 seasons were we not top, not unable to see it through, fans don't like to hear it but we were not as good as some think we were.

It's now time for a clear out and rebuild.

5 minutes ago, toddy said:

Because the players peaked and unfortunately possibly never to reach those heights again.

Confidence amongst the players is shot and has been at the start of the last 3 seasons.

Yes I know we had injuries, yes I know we had Mac dreaming of pastures greener on the other side, but for 3 seasons running we failed to get across the line. Lets not forget at Christmas in those 3 seasons were we not top, not unable to see it through, fans don't like to hear it but we were not as good as some think we were.

You can't just ignore mitigating factors… and even if they had peaked, sign better replacements, don't completely rebuild it? 

7 minutes ago, toddy said:

Just a little question. If the confidence of the players has been shot for three season now, which I'm guessing is your entire argument for why they didn't go up, how did we finish in the playoffs for one of those seasons and top 8 for the other? I mean surely if the players had peaked like you said they had, then they wouldn't have been anywhere near the top of the table if they were low on confidence?

Also are we pretending that Hughes horrible injury last season never happened? Because that's the main reason as to why there wasn't too much interest in him recently.

8 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Just a little question. If the confidence of the players has been shot for three season now, which I'm guessing is your entire argument for why they didn't go up, how did we finish in the playoffs for one of those seasons and top 8 for the other? I mean surely if the players had peaked like you said they had, then they wouldn't have been anywhere near the top of the table if they were low on confidence?

Also are we pretending that Hughes horrible injury last season never happened? Because that's the main reason as to why there wasn't too much interest in him recently.

Weren't we top at Christmas without Hughes?

We have never reached the dizziness heights of Mac's first season, for a reason.

We need to move on.

I said originally the players confidence has been shot at the start of each season, sort of blowing it in May previous season. Remember the start of last season with Clement.......

8 minutes ago, toddy said:

Weren't we top at Christmas without Hughes?

We have never reached the dizziness heights of Mac's first season, for a reason.

We need to move on.

I said originally the players confidence has been shot at the start of each season, sort of blowing it in May previous season. Remember the start of last season with Clement.......

Point about Hughes was that he hasn't been fit for a full season, so the interest in him would have dwindled because he hasn't been playing regularly...

The rest of what you said I couldn't disagree with more, but we've been through it and I don't feel like going over old ground.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

I have said many times this season, the team of MaClaren had peaked, in other words,  Mac got the best out of them at that time but unfortunately that was still not good enough (if promotion is your goal), so maybe those bits of the jigsaw that do not now fit are being replaced, it is not a quick fix. You build from the back, get the spine right and the rest will flow.

At no point in time, when calling for Wassall's head and for Pearson to be instated, did you say this.

In fact it was quite the opposite. Pearson was going to be the experienced manager who would have got us promote, if appointed last February instead of Wassall, and he was the man who could get more out of the players.

Archived