Paul Clement speaks to Talksport, then HITC write an article about it

Curtains

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Clement discusses Derby County sacking

The former Rams head coach currently works as Carlo Ancelotti's Bayern Munich assistant.

Former Derby County head coach Paul Clement has spoken about his sacking in an interview with Talksport on Thursday.

Clement was dismissed eight months into a three-year contract at the iPro Stadium, with the Rams fifth in the Championshiptable.

Afterwards, Derby chairman Mel Morris claimed the team, which had finished eighth under Steve McClaren the previous year, had "not made enough progress" under the former Chelsea and Real Madrid coach's tutelage.

Now reunited with Carlo Ancelotti as Bayern Munich assistant boss, Clement has claimed he was let go for different reasons than those specified.

"I was very disappointed because as a new head coach I would have liked to have been given a little bit more time," the 44-year-old told the Jim White show. "I can’t say we were really struggling. We didn’t start very well; five games, we had four draws and a loss, of course there was a bit of concern. But then we went on a really good; run 17 games, we lost one and we went to first position.

"After the Christmas period, we had some draws and some losses and we slipped to fifth position. But, with 16 games to go and five points off of first, I was confident that we would turn things around and we would be really contending up until the last day of the season. But I wasn’t given the opportunity to do that.

"I look back and some people will say it failed but for me it wasn’t a failure. The opportunity was cut short, for me. I look back now and still believe that I could have been very successful at that club. The club, the day after made very clear statements about what the reasons were (for his sacking). My own feeling about it is that I was fired because of a run of bad results."

Clement's replacement, academy manager Darren Wassall, was handed the role until the end of last season, with veteran former Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp overseeing him as director of football.

However, the pair were unable to spark a revival in fortunes, and Derby were eliminated from the Championship play-offs by eventual winners Hull City at the semi-final stage.

20 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

At the time, I could see why he'd got the sack, harsh as it was.

But now, seeing as Mel has tossed the Derby Way overboard with the appointment of Pearson, makes me think Clement is fair enough in his assessment. 

This.

The justification for sacking him is now void and other than it being one last hoorah, the time spent under Wassall can now be looked back on as a waste of time.

28 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Yeah,Mel has contradicted himself a few times now and I thought the sacking was harsh even though the style of play wasn't  as exciting as Macca's. 

However, if the rumours are true about the  'other' reason then his position became untenable which makes his interview interesting.

I imagine if there were non footballing reasons for his sacking he would not be talking about it.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

At the time, I could see why he'd got the sack, harsh as it was.

But now, seeing as Mel has tossed the Derby Way overboard with the appointment of Pearson, makes me think Clement is fair enough in his assessment. 

This is the thing. Clement's footballl was dire but you could see how he was trying to play and what the players were meant to do to fit the system. So far (but it's early days) I've not got that from Pearson. I hope it will emerge and with better football than Clement's over the coming months. Right now that's more hope than expectation.

Perhaps the appointment of Wassall was a last throw of the dice by Mel to return to the verve of McClaren's team and, seeing it failed, we've moved back to a results-driven ethos. Saturday is quite a test with three new players and should be more akin to the Pearson future. And Newcastle is a team I'd expect to attack us, even at the iPro, which should play into Pearson's speedmeisters' hands.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

This.

The justification for sacking him is now void and other than it being one last hoorah, the time spent under Wassall can now be looked back on as a waste of time.

I think it looked like a wasted opportunity at the time didn't it?  5th in the league, 5 points off the top and we appoint a inexperienced caretaker manager.  What message did that send to the players and the fans?

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is the thing. Clement's footballl was dire but you could see how he was trying to play and what the players were meant to do to fit the system. So far (but it's early days) I've not got that from Pearson. I hope it will emerge and with better football than Clement's over the coming months. Right now that's more hope than expectation.

Perhaps the appointment of Wassall was a last throw of the dice by Mel to return to the verve of McClaren's team and, seeing it failed, we've moved back to a results-driven ethos. Saturday is quite a test with three new players and should be more akin to the Pearson future. And Newcastle is a team I'd expect to attack us, even at the iPro, which should play into Pearson's speedmeisters' hands.

It really was one of the most bizarre seasons in a long time. Ultimately unsuccessful in regards to promotion, but fairly captivating in terms of drama and discussion, which I certainly don't take for granted after some fairly boring mid-table seasons. The away game against Hull was probably our most exciting game in a long time - I think my fingernails are still recovering. 

Archived