Paul Clement speaks to Talksport, then HITC write an article about it

Curtains

18 minutes ago, curtains said:

What happened at Wembley then against a  10 man QPR team  .

How did we lose that game  

We pushed high and got caught on the break by the opposition a bad trait of McClarens team at times. 

We should have been patient and  waited for extra time. .

I can't comment! I still don't have the heart to watch the last ten minutes back!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Either Paul Clement is really thick and didn't get the message from Mel in the lead up to his sacking (and still doesn't), or our owner is telling us fibs and is making it up as he goes along.

I've seen enough now. I know which one I believe.

The latter for me. 

Local rich man with no footballing pedigree, buys football club and rules with an iron fist. 

What could possibly go wrong. 

8 hours ago, cannable said:

Teams had started clicking onto us though - our entire left-hand side could be nullified just by marking Thorne and Keogh and pressing anybody who went to help Warnock and Shackell. Warnock made over 100 passes against Preston! Most were backwards and sideways!

We got nullified further when he went, we dropped 15 points behind come end of season I believe? 

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

At the time, I could see why he'd got the sack, harsh as it was.

But now, seeing as Mel has tossed the Derby Way overboard with the appointment of Pearson, makes me think Clement is fair enough in his assessment. 

If Mel has tossed the Derby Way aside, it's because enough fans were vocal enough in mocking it. The bloke cannot win. Personally I see it as admission the players don't fit in to the ethos more than the system or management.

12 hours ago, cannable said:

This.

The justification for sacking him is now void and other than it being one last hoorah, the time spent under Wassall can now be looked back on as a waste of time.

Not really, he wasn't following his instructions at the time. He wasn't towing the line. If you do that and go against your job spec, you'll lose your job too. I'd imagine Pearson has agreed to some instructions, which may or may not be different.

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

The Derby Way/Swansea/Saints/Watford Way

is that the manager is recruited to fit the players. No overhaul to suit a manager who in England has an average reign of what? A few months?

It is a bit early to say that's not the case but Pearson has not played to several players strengths for any of the 7 matches. It's like he wants them to fit his style rather than him working with theirs. 

Wassall was put in because Clement deviated a bit.

Compared to what Clement did Pearson is in a different postcode. 

as I say above, maybe after 3 years of choking, there has been realisation that players do not fit into the mentality needed to succeed.

Wouldn't have looked good had he came out and said I was sacked for failing to follow the clubs objectives, I was reminded of these but come on, I was the head coach right? 

Easier to come out and say it must have been the poor run of results, own reputation is left in tact, footballing world feels sorry for him having to work under such a ruthless owner.

Poor results clearly played a part, regardless of what was going on behind the scenes you can't sack him if you're top of the league but it's also clearly not the full story. Players fitness for one that people dismissed at the time, how many players came out after saying they feel much fitter since the gym equipment was reinstalled......unless they were told to say this, come on lads help us out here, stick the boot into Clement.

Poor transfers are blamed squarely on Mel's shoulders......who was it that identified and asked for Nick Blackman in January....any ideas how he was supposed to fit into Clements side? me neither.

No manager, head coach will come out and say yeah I deserved the sack, ask Nigel Clough the same and he will say he wasn't given enough time after 4 seasons.

Just now, David said:

Wouldn't have looked good had he came out and said I was sacked for failing to follow the clubs objectives, I was reminded of these but come on, I was the head coach right? 

Easier to come out and say it must have been the poor run of results, own reputation is left in tact, footballing world feels sorry for him having to work under such a ruthless owner.

Poor results clearly played a part, regardless of what was going on behind the scenes you can't sack him if you're top of the league but it's also clearly not the full story. Players fitness for one that people dismissed at the time, how many players came out after saying they feel much fitter since the gym equipment was reinstalled......unless they were told to say this, come on lads help us out here, stick the boot into Clement.

Poor transfers are blamed squarely on Mel's shoulders......who was it that identified and asked for Nick Blackman....any ideas how he was supposed to fit into Clements side? me neither.

No manager, head coach will come out and say yeah I deserved the sack, ask Nigel Clough the same and he will say he wasn't given enough time after 4 seasons.

For me the blackman signing was the start of our demise, i got the signing as a Plan B etc but felt Clement tried to fit him into the team by playing him out wide when other players we had were clearly better suited to the roles. This seemed to upset the balance of the team and we didnt really recover.

I think there is a half decent player in blackman im just not sure where he fits in even now.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think there is a half decent player in blackman im just not sure where he fits in even now.

Fit's more into Pearson's team than Clement who wanted him, needs to be central behind Vydra. With Ince, Weimann and now Wilson his chances there will be extremely limited. 

I posted a BBC article the other day, he was nominated for September player of the month last season, confidence was shot until he had a heart to heart with Clarke who agreed to play him as a striker then started banging in the goals. 

Any player playing without confidence you won't see the best out of. Clement should never have signed him. 

9 minutes ago, David said:

Fit's more into Pearson's team than Clement who wanted him, needs to be central behind Vydra. With Ince, Weimann and now Wilson his chances there will be extremely limited. 

I posted a BBC article the other day, he was nominated for September player of the month last season, confidence was shot until he had a heart to heart with Clarke who agreed to play him as a striker then started banging in the goals. 

Any player playing without confidence you won't see the best out of. Clement should never have signed him. 

You are certainly correct about confidence. A certain Bradley Johnson is clearly lacking this.

20 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If Mel has tossed the Derby Way aside, it's because enough fans were vocal enough in mocking it. The bloke cannot win. Personally I see it as admission the players don't fit in to the ethos more than the system or management.

You don't get to be that successful unless you possess a steely mindset that shuts out such things as fans mocking.

Maybe he has changed his mind on the best way to achieve his goals, that's his right as owner, but you're not saying fan pressure led to his change of direction surely?

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe he has changed his mind on the best way to achieve his goals, that's his right as owner, but you're not saying fan pressure led to his change of direction surely?

Wouldn't surprise me.

20 minutes ago, David said:

I thought that's what happened too but people keep steering me in the direction of whoscored which suggests he was still playing on the wing?

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I thought that's what happened too but people keep steering me in the direction of whoscored which suggests he was still playing on the wing?

Reading's Nick Blackman admits "a heart-to-heart" at the end of last season with boss Steve Clarke triggered his switch from midfielder to striker.

The 25-year-old, nominated for September's Championship player of the month, has eight goals in 12 games and helped push his side into the top six.

He said a run of games in his favoured position had also given him confidence.

"Hopefully we can continue as we're all pulling in the same direction," he told BBC Radio Berkshire.

Blackman found the net four times for Reading in all competitions during September compared to just nine goals in the previous two seasons.

The Bury-born forward was thrust into a Premier League relegation battle upon his arrival from Sheffield United in January 2013, shortly followed by the departure of then manager Brian McDermott.

"I've had a couple of frustrating years since I've been here," he said.

"I think the main thing is I've been given a consistent run of games in a forward position and not necessarily being a rigid right-winger.

"I did my best for the team, but I don't think it's my best position. Just getting a continued run of games is important."

Blackman's chat with Reading manager Clarke before the summer break discussed at length his preference to play up front.

"I've been used used as a wide forward, which I really enjoy there. But, we had a heart-to-heart at the end of last season and it was good and was needed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34414833

10 minutes ago, David said:

Reading's Nick Blackman admits "a heart-to-heart" at the end of last season with boss Steve Clarke triggered his switch from midfielder to striker.

I'm going to resist the urge to search through the forum for the person who was telling me I was wrong when I said my mates who support Reading said he was switched to playing up front... 

29 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

You don't get to be that successful unless you possess a steely mindset that shuts out such things as fans mocking.

Certain of it.

22 minutes ago, David said:

Wouldn't surprise me.

I just don't see it, for every person on here mocking, there was someone sticking up for 'The Derby Way'.

Forums are a small percentage of fans regardless, I'd be surprised if he had any correspondence sent to the club on the matter, and even more surprised if he took any notice if he had.

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

Certain of it.

Profound statement Eddie. 

How can you be certain .

No one knows why Clement was sacked and Wassall appointed . 

Clement is saying it was a bad run of results after Christmas when we were top of the league and dropped to 5 th. 

Archived