Paul Clement speaks to Talksport, then HITC write an article about it

Curtains

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I just don't see it, for every person on here mocking, there was someone sticking up for 'The Derby Way'.

Forums are a small percentage of fans regardless, I'd be surprised if he had any correspondence sent to the club on the matter, and even more surprised if he took any notice if he had.

Online fans are totally in the minority but it's also the only way to really gauge fan reactions without sending out surveys to fans with customer id's.

Mel was big on the head coach role, looking after the clubs future, not having to clear up the mess from managers that have had complete control....I'm looking at you Mr Jewell and Davies, It made so much sense, as you know some claimed were were brainwashed and forum polls were massively in favour of a manager over head coach. Fair enough.

Wassall was brought in, sounded like the job was his, been around the club for years, knew the direction the club wanted to go in. We was one decent performance at home v Hull away from Wembley. Was it that home leg that cost him the job or was it obvious that the majority of fans wouldn't have taken kindly to appointing him permanently, again, this is the small overall online minority.

Calls for a manager started, Pearson's name was pretty much the number 1 man a lot wanted. 

We now have Pearson as manager.

Football fans don't like to see ourselves as customers but that's what we are, you have to listen to your customers and for me  it must have played a part in the shift in direction. I'm not saying that Mel, Rush, whoever is advising behind the scenes didn't have a change of heart and this is all on the fans but like I say, I'm just sure it played a part, not just this forum but all Derby forums, Twitter, Facebook, comment sections in the DET. I still have the lawyer email that proves the club read closely what's written online.

Funny now that we have the manager getting rid of fan favourites some are worried the direction the club is heading in. I expect we will see more leave in January, it's only just started. I just hope those that wanted a manager are willing to give Pearson time including Mel, we're heading in a totally different direction now and will be stuck in a constant loop of rebuilding if we continue like this. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

Wouldn't have looked good had he came out and said I was sacked for failing to follow the clubs objectives, I was reminded of these but come on, I was the head coach right? 

Easier to come out and say it must have been the poor run of results, own reputation is left in tact, footballing world feels sorry for him having to work under such a ruthless owner.

Poor results clearly played a part, regardless of what was going on behind the scenes you can't sack him if you're top of the league but it's also clearly not the full story. Players fitness for one that people dismissed at the time, how many players came out after saying they feel much fitter since the gym equipment was reinstalled......unless they were told to say this, come on lads help us out here, stick the boot into Clement.

Poor transfers are blamed squarely on Mel's shoulders......who was it that identified and asked for Nick Blackman in January....any ideas how he was supposed to fit into Clements side? me neither.

No manager, head coach will come out and say yeah I deserved the sack, ask Nigel Clough the same and he will say he wasn't given enough time after 4 seasons.

Most of last season negativity can be placed on Mel's shoulders, from the moment he took the reigns, one poor decision after another.

Hopefully he's learnt that being a mere investor, is a different kettle of fish to being the man at the top, totally different skill set.

I might be wrong, but didn't Mel make his money from selling his shares/stakes in companies , ie he didn't actually own anything outright.

The "Derby Way" died with Stevie Mac

4 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

Most of last season negativity can be placed on Mel's shoulders, from the moment he took the reigns, one poor decision after another.

Hopefully he's learnt that being a mere investor, is a different kettle of fish to being the man at the top, totally different skill set.

I might be wrong, but didn't Mel make his money from selling his shares/stakes in companies , ie he didn't actually own anything outright.

The "Derby Way" died with Stevie Mac

What are all these poor decisions? I would say we saw far more that involved injuries, tactics, team selections, players attitudes, effort levels on the pitch that had a negative impact on the team and results. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Wouldn't have looked good had he came out and said I was sacked for failing to follow the clubs objectives, I was reminded of these but come on, I was the head coach right? 

Easier to come out and say it must have been the poor run of results, own reputation is left in tact, footballing world feels sorry for him having to work under such a ruthless owner.

Poor results clearly played a part, regardless of what was going on behind the scenes you can't sack him if you're top of the league but it's also clearly not the full story. Players fitness for one that people dismissed at the time, how many players came out after saying they feel much fitter since the gym equipment was reinstalled......unless they were told to say this, come on lads help us out here, stick the boot into Clement.

Poor transfers are blamed squarely on Mel's shoulders......who was it that identified and asked for Nick Blackman in January....any ideas how he was supposed to fit into Clements side? me neither.

No manager, head coach will come out and say yeah I deserved the sack, ask Nigel Clough the same and he will say he wasn't given enough time after 4 seasons.

Surely it would look better and be much easier if he came out and said "I was doing well, getting results, but the owner was absolutely barmy and made all sorts of barmy demands of me despite knowing nothing of football management. I was happy, the players were happy, the staff were happy, but the owner kept giving his input and even came into the dressing room one time. He had this nonsense idea of what the club's philosophy should be".

That's basically a twisted take on "The Derby Way" reasoning for his sacking. It includes bashing of meddling owners, which the media and fans all love. The fact that he didn't take this easy route says a lot to me.

Just now, Tombo said:

Surely it would look better and be much easier if he came out and said "I was doing well, getting results, but the owner was absolutely barmy and made all sorts of barmy demands of me despite knowing nothing of football management. I was happy, the players were happy, the staff were happy, but the owner kept giving his input and even came into the dressing room one time. He had this nonsense idea of what the club's philosophy should be".

That's basically a twisted take on "The Derby Way" reasoning for his sacking. It includes bashing of meddling owners, which the media and fans all love. The fact that he didn't take this easy route says a lot to me.

And what football owner would touch him after he came out and acted like this? He's done what 99.9% of managers that get sacked do, claimed he wasn't given enough time (which is true) and he could have turned things around. Job done, reputation left in tact for when Carlo retires and needs to go it alone again. 

11 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

spent Christmas at top, and spent some good money for the first time this century.... negativity?

1 minute ago, David said:

And what football owner would touch him after he came out and acted like this? He's done what 99.9% of managers that get sacked do, claimed he wasn't given enough time (which is true) and he could have turned things around. Job done, reputation left in tact for when Carlo retires and needs to go it alone again. 

It doesn't do him much good to dwell on the fact he was on a run of poor results and seemed clueless as to how to turn it around either. He's still got a good reputation in the game, I don't think either response would have hurt that really.

Just now, Tombo said:

It doesn't do him much good to dwell on the fact he was on a run of poor results and seemed clueless as to how to turn it around either. He's still got a good reputation in the game, I don't think either response would have hurt that really.

Other than your suggestion for his response may have been all BS? who knows. 

Don't think he's dwelling on it either tbh, the question will have been asked and he's given what will be seen as a standard professional response, had he been seeking out interviews all over the media banging on how he was unfairly treated maybe but I think I've heard from him twice now since the sacking, once on Fantasy Football show and now TalkSport. Will have known he would be back in work under Carlo at Bayern so it's not like he was on a scrapheap trying to put himself back out there.

14 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I'd have Clement back today. 5th in the league without the use of Thorne, Hughes or Bryson. I'd say that was doing a good job considering the amount of bottlers we have in the squad.

The Derby Way, what a joke that is

After 5 games last season we had 4 points under Clement, this season we have 5 after 5 without Thorne.

Let's see where we are on October 24th, that's when Clement took us to the dizzy heights of 5th

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 10.46.17.png

At the end of the day you have to move on .

People were criticising  Clough and McClaren ,Clement and the Wassall all for different reasons. 

Thats why we should be giving Pearson a chance .

As for Mel Morris he is doing his best and I'm thankful he is at Derby County   

PS How are the players like Chris Martin and Jake Buxton and Lee Grant, Richard Keogh and Jeff Hendrick just to be impartial etc immune from criticism in some quarters  

All players need to take responsibility including the likes of Johnson and Butterfield and Hughes etc  

Everyone needs to  get behind the Rams as a whole  me included as its our team  

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

You don't get to be that successful unless you possess a steely mindset that shuts out such things as fans mocking.

Maybe he has changed his mind on the best way to achieve his goals, that's his right as owner, but you're not saying fan pressure led to his change of direction surely?

If he did change due to fan pressure then he has no business being chairman. As some people on this board tell us all the time, fans don't know all the ins and outs of the club and although their feelings should be taken on board, they should not be used as justification for such a big shift in approach. Something tells me this isn't the case though.

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Profound statement Eddie. 

How can you be certain .

No one knows why Clement was sacked and Wassall appointed . 

Clement is saying it was a bad run of results after Christmas when we were top of the league and dropped to 5 th. 

It was such a massive change of direction - he basically abandoned the previous direction the club was taking under McClaren and Clement at the drop of a hat. Motivation to sack a head coach after 7 or 8 adverse results and replace him like-for-like is one thing (as he did with the temporary appointment of Darren Wassall) - but I think that the reception given to Wassall after the Rotherham capitulation had an awful lot to do with causing the end-of-season about-turn.

13 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

If he did change due to fan pressure then he has no business being chairman. As some people on this board tell us all the time, fans don't know all the ins and outs of the club and although their feelings should be taken on board, they should not be used as justification for such a big shift in approach. Something tells me this isn't the case though.

So  do you want the Chairman Mel Morris out because I think he's great for Derby  County  and that's from someone who liked Paul Clement  .

I was a big fan of Paul Clement but I'm also a fan of Mel Morris  

Answer Yes or no. 

39 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I'd have Clement back today. 5th in the league without the use of Thorne, Hughes or Bryson. I'd say that was doing a good job considering the amount of bottlers we have in the squad.

The Derby Way, what a joke that is

You could say exactly the same for Wassall, but I bet you won't.

17 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Being chairman of a football club is always at least one out of

• An ego trip
  • A labour of love
  • A popularity contest
  • A business venture

but I don't think that it can ever be more than two.

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I would have Mac back, but 99.9% wouldn't. 

When we had the breakfast sans sausage, Mel asked me who I wanted to see as manager of Derby County.

I said "Steve McClaren".

10 minutes ago, curtains said:

So  do you want the Chairman Mel Morris out because I think he's great for Derby  County  and that's from someone who liked Paul Clement  .

Answer Yes or no. 

No I don't want him out. He's a Derby fan, he cares obviously. Besides, who would take over from him?

I think you may have missed the last sentence of my post where I said I DON'T think it was fan pressure that led to the change in direction.

11 minutes ago, curtains said:

Answer Yes or no. 

Not one person on this thread has asked for chairman/owner out, you are deliberately twisting things for Melodrama.

Archived