Paul Clement speaks to Talksport, then HITC write an article about it

Curtains

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Derby Way/Swansea/Saints/Watford Way

is that the manager is recruited to fit the players. No overhaul to suit a manager who in England has an average reign of what? A few months?

It is a bit early to say that's not the case but Pearson has not played to several players strengths for any of the 7 matches. It's like he wants them to fit his style rather than him working with theirs. 

Wassall was put in because Clement deviated a bit.

Compared to what Clement did Pearson is in a different postcode. 

Ok, so Clem failed to carry out the 'derby way'

he was sacked. 

Wassall was brought in with the 'derby way' ringing in his ears from 'above'

he failed. Or rather the players failed to live up to expectations of the said preferred way of playing.

maybe we had the wrong players?

get rid of players.

bring others in.

lets see.

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The Derby Way/Swansea/Saints/Watford Way

is that the manager is recruited to fit the players. No overhaul to suit a manager who in England has an average reign of what? A few months?

It is a bit early to say that's not the case but Pearson has not played to several players strengths for any of the 7 matches. It's like he wants them to fit his style rather than him working with theirs. 

Wassall was put in because Clement deviated a bit.

Compared to what Clement did Pearson is in a different postcode. 

But you can see from another angle that roughly the same squad fell short with 3 different head coaches (reasons for which have long been debated)and at some point something has to change if not successful. Recruitment fecked up big time under Clement. I actually think Pearson will be far better for the long term than Clement would have been. We just have to wait and see.

44 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Why has everyone assumed that appointing NP has meant we've ejected the Derby Way? Now we've hopefully added some pace it might just be the catalyst required. Some of us are reaching judgements far too quickly still. 

'The Derby Way' isn't just about playstyle though, it is about following a system throughout the club where there is little overhaul as the coach is bought in who follows that system and a.) Pearson isn't a head coach he is a manager and b.) his bringing in a system that seems to go against the clubs ethos of the past few seasons. 

As soon as Peason was appointed 'The Derby Way' died and now it looks like we are going the Pearson way. Whether or not that is a good thing is another matter. 

I still think there must have been more to it than just the poor run, but it's become beneficial for everyone to move on, Clement is viewed as having been treated badly (which i'm sure suits him). I liked Clement tbh, and I think he'll be OK as long as he picks a good job (so many promising managers take jobs which would be very hard for the best to get anywhere with because it's an opportunity)

I think what is most notable is the Mel and Sam show went away and did some thinking at the end of the season and realised they were perhaps not as right about everything as they thought they were. So yes, the reason's at the time might not be consistent with the current thinking which would hack you if you were Paul Clement, but from a DCFC point of view perhaps shows Mel n Sam learning.

I don't think they've given up "the Derby way" so much as decided to keep the things that worked, drop the phrase (thank god), and appointed someone who is happy to go through whatever pain may be incurred as the squad is trimmed/refreshed.

I have an inkling that Pearson would have gone further, but for 2 things - FFP constraint (to what extent, im not sure) and a feeling in the club that the current squad deserve a chance (Pearson kept saying "well, everyone tells me this is the system that suits the squad" in interviews and so on).

10 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Do people still really care about the bloke? He's gone and won't be coming back and he was never going to do an interview and say that he deserved the sack or that the players thought he would be better off back in school teaching PE.

Calm ya tits

1 hour ago, robglosta said:

I don't subscribe to this 'if he's not good in three months; he's s--t' ethos, though.  As alluded to earlier, we were 5 points off top when he was booted out!  

But that's not the point - who was booted out for changing the team too much. We went from a team that pressed high and looked to go for the jugular the minute the chance arose to a team that soaked up pressure and passed aimlessly, hoping that somebody would produce some magic. 

10 minutes ago, cannable said:

But that's not the point - who was booted out for changing the team too much. We went from a team that pressed high and looked to go for the jugular the minute the chance arose to a team that soaked up pressure and passed aimlessly, hoping that somebody would produce some magic. 

What happened at Wembley then against a  10 man QPR team  .

How did we lose that game  

We pushed high and got caught on the break by the opposition a bad trait of McClarens team at times. 

We should have been patient and  waited for extra time. .

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

What happened at Wembley then against a  10 man QPR team  .

How did we lose that game  

We pushed high and got caught on the break by the opposition a bad trait of McClarens team at times. 

We should have been patient and  waited for extra time. .

Didn't really get caught on the break, our defence was in a very solid position. We just had three defensive howlers in the space of about 4 seconds.

11 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Didn't really get caught on the break, our defence was in a very solid position. We just had three defensive howlers in the space of about 4 seconds.

Buxton was pushing forward and tried a worldly pass down the left that got cut out and that was the pushing  forward bit I was on about which we don't see and then the Derby team got back but were disorganised  and   then him and Forsyth failed to deal with the break down our left by Hoilett after a throw in  and  the cross came over and the rest is history. 

18 minutes ago, cannable said:

Which led us to be 4 points clear in the autos by Boxing Day, even in that poor run we were only 5 back..... Also second highest scorers in division and best start to a campaign since the 30s..... Halfway through the season..... Nothing much aimless about that.

Alas, I shan't harp on much more about history......

Good luck to the man, still think he was harshly treated if it was for purely footballing matters.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Which led us to be 4 points clear in the autos by Boxing Day, even in that poor run we were only 5 back..... Also second highest scorers in division and best start to a campaign since the 30s..... Halfway through the season..... Nothing much aimless about that.

Alas, I shan't harp on much more about history......

Good luck to the man, still think he was harshly treated if it was for purely footballing matters.

Teams had started clicking onto us though - our entire left-hand side could be nullified just by marking Thorne and Keogh and pressing anybody who went to help Warnock and Shackell. Warnock made over 100 passes against Preston! Most were backwards and sideways!

Archived