Five things for NP to achieve this season

Posh Ram

I'd agree not getting top 6 would be failure, but there are degrees of failure. 

I can imagine circumstances where we miss out this year, but say, finish the season very strongly after looking fairly mediocre until the winter - yes it's failure but it looks like success is going to follow.

I can also however see just mediocrity leading to a Derby way sacking.....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose all of us rams are basically delusional and this topic is a great example.

what has any of us seen so far that shows that we are entitled to finish in the top 6.  After considering that, look around at the competition for those 6 places.  Getting in the top 6 this year would be a fantastic achievement.  Perhaps if there was more pragmatism then there would be less booing?

Anyway, having said that, I will sit down to watch us against the Geordies, fully expecting us to win.  If we don't it will once again spoil my weekend.  I will spend the next few days rationalising the situation, convince myself I'm being stupidly optimistic but by the next game I will be expecting a win....and the cycle continues 

7 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I suppose all of us rams are basically delusional and this topic is a great example.

what has any of us seen so far that shows that we are entitled to finish in the top 6.  After considering that, look around at the competition for those 6 places.  Getting in the top 6 this year would be a fantastic achievement.  

I don't think anyone is saying we are entitled to finish top 6.

However having finished around the top 6 for the last 3 seasons and with the moves NP has taken (let's not forget he has broken out transfer record) anything other than a top 6 finish is a failure.

If you bring a manager in to improve an already decent team and you go backwards then he has failed.

Of course it may only be short term failure and long term improvement may come about, unfortunately there can not be any guarantee of that.

I don't think the 2015/16 team would have got anywhere near top 6 but you have a point.  I think the old team had peaked and was very susceptible to 'not showing up' for key games. It was beyond tinkering with and bigger changes were needed. I still think this was the season to carry out changes and lower expectations a notch.  Easy for me to say I don't have to go every week.

47 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I don't think the 2015/16 team would have got anywhere near top 6 but you have a point.  I think the old team had peaked and was very susceptible to 'not showing up' for key games. It was beyond tinkering with and bigger changes were needed. I still think this was the season to carry out changes and lower expectations a notch.  Easy for me to say I don't have to go every week.

I have no problem with changes being made.

It would not have been the perfect solution for me but, if that is what the manager has chosen to do, I can accept that.

What I won't accept is that being used as an excuse for playing poor football.

22 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

I can't say I'm thrilled about our transfers on deadline day, but I do think that they show that Pearson has been afforded a proper chance to rebuild this team how he wants by Mel Morris. I'll assume, in that case, that Pearson will keep his job this season if we're in and around the playoffs as part of a commitment to a more long-term "retool" aiming at automatic promotion rather than the disappointment of the last three seasons. I'll be calling for Pearson's head if things go badly wrong, but he is a team builder with track record at this level who should be given time. With that in mind, here are five things I think Pearson needs to achieve regardless of results:

1) Adopt an effective style - the football has been crap so far this season and this needs correcting quickly. We need to stop playing aimless balls from Shackell and start moving the ball quickly and re-cycling possession effectively to build pressure. As well as that, I'd expect to see us become a real threat from set pieces.

2) Integrate the new signings - our main issue last season, imo, was that Clement signed players who didn't fit with our style in Johnson, Blackman, Bent and others and those players fell badly out of form. This year we can't afford to make the same mistake. I'd like to see Vydra and Anya given opportunities from the get go and a shift to playing to Vydra's strengths as he's now our main striker.

3) The redemption of Bradley Johnson - on that note, NP needs to persevere with Bradley Johnson who seems to me to be the ideal Pearson player - a proven Championship player who puts in a shift and offers both creativity and bite in midfield. Be it at left midfield or centre mid, Pearson needs to build up BJ's confidence again and get him playing an important role in the side. It sounds like he did well v Chesterfield. I'll say the same for Blackman but I'm not holding out much hope considering he's looked awful in a Derby shirt from day one.

4) Bring through youth - as Hendrick departs, it would be nice to see Pearson commit to giving the academy players a chance to play a role in the side. By the first game of next season, it would be fantastic to see Elsnik, Lowe and Zanzala to have won themselves matchday opportunities, with Rawson and Hanson kicking on to offer something to the starting XI.

5) Continue the re-build - in January, I think we should do whatever we can to shift Bent and (assuming there's no redemption) Blackman. Russell should be allowed to depart for a reasonable price and players who obviously don't fit Pearson's style (at this stage, Butterfield for example) should be allowed to leave. This side doesn't need razing to the ground but it does need some fresh faces so Pearson can build the team how he wants and we can break up the culture of bottling. As well as that we need to commit to a smaller squad.

Posh Ram for manager?

23 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

I can't say I'm thrilled about our transfers on deadline day, but I do think that they show that Pearson has been afforded a proper chance to rebuild this team how he wants by Mel Morris. I'll assume, in that case, that Pearson will keep his job this season if we're in and around the playoffs as part of a commitment to a more long-term "retool" aiming at automatic promotion rather than the disappointment of the last three seasons. I'll be calling for Pearson's head if things go badly wrong, but he is a team builder with track record at this level who should be given time. With that in mind, here are five things I think Pearson needs to achieve regardless of results:

1) Adopt an effective style - the football has been crap so far this season and this needs correcting quickly. We need to stop playing aimless balls from Shackell and start moving the ball quickly and re-cycling possession effectively to build pressure. As well as that, I'd expect to see us become a real threat from set pieces.

2) Integrate the new signings - our main issue last season, imo, was that Clement signed players who didn't fit with our style in Johnson, Blackman, Bent and others and those players fell badly out of form. This year we can't afford to make the same mistake. I'd like to see Vydra and Anya given opportunities from the get go and a shift to playing to Vydra's strengths as he's now our main striker.

3) The redemption of Bradley Johnson - on that note, NP needs to persevere with Bradley Johnson who seems to me to be the ideal Pearson player - a proven Championship player who puts in a shift and offers both creativity and bite in midfield. Be it at left midfield or centre mid, Pearson needs to build up BJ's confidence again and get him playing an important role in the side. It sounds like he did well v Chesterfield. I'll say the same for Blackman but I'm not holding out much hope considering he's looked awful in a Derby shirt from day one.

4) Bring through youth - as Hendrick departs, it would be nice to see Pearson commit to giving the academy players a chance to play a role in the side. By the first game of next season, it would be fantastic to see Elsnik, Lowe and Zanzala to have won themselves matchday opportunities, with Rawson and Hanson kicking on to offer something to the starting XI.

5) Continue the re-build - in January, I think we should do whatever we can to shift Bent and (assuming there's no redemption) Blackman. Russell should be allowed to depart for a reasonable price and players who obviously don't fit Pearson's style (at this stage, Butterfield for example) should be allowed to leave. This side doesn't need razing to the ground but it does need some fresh faces so Pearson can build the team how he wants and we can break up the culture of bottling. As well as that we need to commit to a smaller squad.

No need for sensible posts like this at the moment.

On September 1, 2016 at 10:55, Posh Ram said:

100% agree. Your best ever post ever. It's actually the best post I think I've read on here. Spot on with the youth promotion, breaking the culture of bottling, and the smaller tighter squad concept. This is better than anything the DET or click bait sites could come up with! 

On September 1, 2016 at 14:39, ossieram said:

What have you been drinking and can you buy it by the gallon?

Derby fans don't do understanding and patient anymore, we have been taken over by the "I want it now" brigade. 

We should dump Steve bloomer and replace with this : 

1) Have his goalkeeping coach work on Carson's kicking.

2) Have corner/free kick takers deliver balls that make us genuine threat.

3) Encourage players with a shot on them to have a crack, eff the boo boys.

4) Less effing about with ball at the back, look for a forward pass and less hoofing and hoping.

5) Make me eat my words, I'm not after Barcelona football, I just want any loss to be hard earned by our opponents, and our players to come off the park knowing they've given their best.

5 hours ago, Ninos said:

100% agree. Your best ever post ever. It's actually the best post I think I've read on here. Spot on with the youth promotion, breaking the culture of bottling, and the smaller tighter squad concept. This is better than anything the DET or click bait sites could come up with! 

You're making me blush, stop it you

6 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Maybe one of them is to grow a beard

We turned Clement into someone who resembled an homeless man after 5 months.... its only taken NP 4 months to turn into one :lol:

just seen that - and i was thinking that - when the manager turns up like a tramp...hes lost it!!!

1 minute ago, irobinson said:

just seen that - and i was thinking that - when the manager turns up like a tramp...hes lost it!!!

I was shocked to see NP unshaven tbh, he's usually very neat lol, "vanity issues" would sum him up :lol:.Clement had bags under the eyes as well, not slept and looked tired towards the end with us imo.

I hope its just a new image hahaha

28 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

That's where Tim Sherwood ended up.

Sherwood shouldn't be in management though, he's far too emotional. I felt sorry for him when he had his meltdown, people take the p*** but we don't know the pressures these blokes are under.. Look how it sent Brian Clough, a man who started out proclaiming himself immortal almost, ended up hitting the bottle to cope with it all.

1 hour ago, DCFCArmy said:

I was shocked to see NP unshaven tbh, he's usually very neat lol, "vanity issues" would sum him up :lol:.Clement had bags under the eyes as well, not slept and looked tired towards the end with us imo.

I hope its just a new image hahaha

It IS a new image .. I (very ITK ) can tell you that his image advisor has said that the clean cut steely eyed ex special forces look is now too passee and so very August .... The grizzled don't mess with me look is Septembers top pick at Spondon's leading male grooming Salon.

Present your voucher for a free black and white badger stripped hair cut with Stuffed Magpie motif ( after Saturdays match, terms and conditions apply )

Archived