Five things for NP to achieve this season

Posh Ram

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/1/2016 at 10:55, Posh Ram said:

I can't say I'm thrilled about our transfers on deadline day, but I do think that they show that Pearson has been afforded a proper chance to rebuild this team how he wants by Mel Morris. I'll assume, in that case, that Pearson will keep his job this season if we're in and around the playoffs as part of a commitment to a more long-term "retool" aiming at automatic promotion rather than the disappointment of the last three seasons. I'll be calling for Pearson's head if things go badly wrong, but he is a team builder with track record at this level who should be given time. With that in mind, here are five things I think Pearson needs to achieve regardless of results:

1) Adopt an effective style - the football has been crap so far this season and this needs correcting quickly. We need to stop playing aimless balls from Shackell and start moving the ball quickly and re-cycling possession effectively to build pressure. As well as that, I'd expect to see us become a real threat from set pieces.

2) Integrate the new signings - our main issue last season, imo, was that Clement signed players who didn't fit with our style in Johnson, Blackman, Bent and others and those players fell badly out of form. This year we can't afford to make the same mistake. I'd like to see Vydra and Anya given opportunities from the get go and a shift to playing to Vydra's strengths as he's now our main striker.

3) The redemption of Bradley Johnson - on that note, NP needs to persevere with Bradley Johnson who seems to me to be the ideal Pearson player - a proven Championship player who puts in a shift and offers both creativity and bite in midfield. Be it at left midfield or centre mid, Pearson needs to build up BJ's confidence again and get him playing an important role in the side. It sounds like he did well v Chesterfield. I'll say the same for Blackman but I'm not holding out much hope considering he's looked awful in a Derby shirt from day one.

4) Bring through youth - as Hendrick departs, it would be nice to see Pearson commit to giving the academy players a chance to play a role in the side. By the first game of next season, it would be fantastic to see Elsnik, Lowe and Zanzala to have won themselves matchday opportunities, with Rawson and Hanson kicking on to offer something to the starting XI.

5) Continue the re-build - in January, I think we should do whatever we can to shift Bent and (assuming there's no redemption) Blackman. Russell should be allowed to depart for a reasonable price and players who obviously don't fit Pearson's style (at this stage, Butterfield for example) should be allowed to leave. This side doesn't need razing to the ground but it does need some fresh faces so Pearson can build the team how he wants and we can break up the culture of bottling. As well as that we need to commit to a smaller squad.

Great post!

On 9/1/2016 at 10:55, Posh Ram said:

I can't say I'm thrilled about our transfers on deadline day, but I do think that they show that Pearson has been afforded a proper chance to rebuild this team how he wants by Mel Morris. I'll assume, in that case, that Pearson will keep his job this season if we're in and around the playoffs as part of a commitment to a more long-term "retool" aiming at automatic promotion rather than the disappointment of the last three seasons. I'll be calling for Pearson's head if things go badly wrong, but he is a team builder with track record at this level who should be given time. With that in mind, here are five things I think Pearson needs to achieve regardless of results:

1) Adopt an effective style - the football has been crap so far this season and this needs correcting quickly. We need to stop playing aimless balls from Shackell and start moving the ball quickly and re-cycling possession effectively to build pressure. As well as that, I'd expect to see us become a real threat from set pieces.

2) Integrate the new signings - our main issue last season, imo, was that Clement signed players who didn't fit with our style in Johnson, Blackman, Bent and others and those players fell badly out of form. This year we can't afford to make the same mistake. I'd like to see Vydra and Anya given opportunities from the get go and a shift to playing to Vydra's strengths as he's now our main striker.

3) The redemption of Bradley Johnson - on that note, NP needs to persevere with Bradley Johnson who seems to me to be the ideal Pearson player - a proven Championship player who puts in a shift and offers both creativity and bite in midfield. Be it at left midfield or centre mid, Pearson needs to build up BJ's confidence again and get him playing an important role in the side. It sounds like he did well v Chesterfield. I'll say the same for Blackman but I'm not holding out much hope considering he's looked awful in a Derby shirt from day one.

4) Bring through youth - as Hendrick departs, it would be nice to see Pearson commit to giving the academy players a chance to play a role in the side. By the first game of next season, it would be fantastic to see Elsnik, Lowe and Zanzala to have won themselves matchday opportunities, with Rawson and Hanson kicking on to offer something to the starting XI.

5) Continue the re-build - in January, I think we should do whatever we can to shift Bent and (assuming there's no redemption) Blackman. Russell should be allowed to depart for a reasonable price and players who obviously don't fit Pearson's style (at this stage, Butterfield for example) should be allowed to leave. This side doesn't need razing to the ground but it does need some fresh faces so Pearson can build the team how he wants and we can break up the culture of bottling. As well as that we need to commit to a smaller squad.

Can't disagree with any of that. 

1. Score a goal at home.

2. Win a game at home.

3. Try not to get relegated.

4. String at least 6 passes together in the opposition's half.

5. Get to the byline.

I know some of these seem unrealistically demanding, but Derby fans are notoriously hard to please.

3 hours ago, Anon said:

1. Score a goal at home.

2. Win a game at home.

3. Try not to get relegated.

4. String at least 6 passes together in the opposition's half.

5. Get to the byline.

I know some of these seem unrealistically demanding, but Derby fans are notoriously hard to please.

Few decent shots, on target, and a pop from outside the box might support 1,2 and 3 also.

His interviews are terrible, if NP is going to be the sole communicator other than the odd CP insight then he needs to stop being so stand offish. This will appease a lot of fans if they warm to him, for Mel to allow such a change in philosophy it needed to be overseen by a more likeable personality.

i'm stating the obvious but he needs a performance tomorrow night with a lot more intent shown.

1 hour ago, Seth's left foot said:

His interviews are terrible, if NP is going to be the sole communicator other than the odd CP insight then he needs to stop being so stand offish. This will appease a lot of fans if they warm to him, for Mel to allow such a change in philosophy it needed to be overseen by a more likeable personality.

i'm stating the obvious but he needs a performance tomorrow night with a lot more intent shown.

If he got the fans on his side they'd forgive many things. He's looking arrogant to me. It's not weak to admit your mistakes. 

Archived