Will Hughes

Warren Hobhead

27 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wish people would stop talking about Hughes as if he's every realised any of his potential. 

He's been playing years now and is only marginally better than he was on his debut. 

He rarely influences a game let alone a result. Hendrick has WON games got Derby. 

18 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Is this some sort of sick joke? 

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

No. Why would it be?

Show me statistics? Tell me tales? Refresh my memory?

Or, just carry on pretending that Will Hughes has actually done anything over his career!

In terms of his career, he's been no more influential in a Derby shirt than the likes of Steve Davies or Paul Green and he's actually miles off ever being as important to the team and the result as Kris Commons was.

You lot can keep looking through rose tinted goggles, but the unbiased will see he's not progressed.

Sorry put these in wrong thread

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

Sorry put these in wrong thread

Shouldn't have bothered posting them at all. Clearly just looking for an argument so you can be controversial and the centre of attention. Transparent.

15 minutes ago, valleyram said:

bottom line alpha is butterfield will not do , he does not improve the midfield of thorne , Bryson , hughes and hendrick so hes no use to us

Butterfield is our biggest goal threat from midfield.

He's not a fantastic player off the ball, he seems to mooch around for want of a better word, but he's a goal threat. 

Pearson playing him left midfield was just hilariously bad management.

Just now, Tombo said:

Shouldn't have bothered posting them at all. Clearly just looking for an argument so you can be controversial and the centre of attention. Transparent.

Who the hell are you to dismiss my opinion?

I'm off out now so won't be around to argue but just sick of people making out he's something that he isn't but at the same token not giving credit to other players (Hendrick in this case) who perhaps are more deserving of it.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Who the hell are you to dismiss my opinion?

I'm off out now so won't be around to argue but just sick of people making out he's something that he isn't but at the same token not giving credit to other players (Hendrick in this case) who perhaps are more deserving of it.

I'm not, I'm just saying that you're just pretending. No different to the accusations you've made in your original posts.

Just now, Tombo said:

I'm not, I'm just saying that you're just pretending. No different to the accusations you've made in your original posts.

Pretending? How so? 

I've always reined in my opinion of Hughes, for years. I've always said he doesn't influence the game enough. This isn't a new stance I'm taking. 

24 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Better than bryson or hendrick imo

Yip and that's what forums are about , opinions , but it's safe to say Pearson likes bryso he's played every minute of every game apart from the Carlisle game , there is no place for butterfield at the club in my opinion 

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Or, just carry on pretending that Will Hughes has actually done anything over his career!

2012/13

Derby County Young Player of the Year

2013/14

Football League Young Player of the Year

Football League Championship Team of the Year

2014/15

Derby County Player of the Year

31 minutes ago, valleyram said:

Yip and that's what forums are about , opinions , but it's safe to say Pearson likes bryso he's played every minute of every game apart from the Carlisle game , there is no place for butterfield at the club in my opinion 

Chris Powell may offer Pearson a different opinion with regards Butterfield though.

Thorne and Hendrick are big misses at this moment in time. We have no physicality and no-one in the midfield with even the remotest of defensive instincts. A midfield three of Bryson, Hughes and Butterfield is too lightweight, unbalanced and easy to nullify. 

Hughes is a composed, intelligent and highly technical player and he is our best footballer, but not necessarily our most influential player.

He disappoints or goes missing in games where you'd expect him to step up and his extra quality to tell. I think a lot of our midfielders suffer with that problem. Games, usually the big occasions, pass them by. The same can be said of Bryson and Hendrick.

What worries me about Hughes is that he hasn't really evolved or added something new to his game over the years, which is probably why he is still here.

Moving forward, we need a new midfielder for me. Thorne's absence needs to be accounted for. No-one can consistently replicate the job he does in a midfield three and yet we know we can't rely on him to play week in, week out because he is injury prone. And if we revert to a midfield two, any combination of Bryson, Hendrick, Butterfield and Hughes will surely be overrun as evidenced in the past.

I'd move Bradley Johnson on. He needs a fresh start. He's not a bad player, but I don't think he fits in here. He would be behind Hughes, Hendrick, Thorne, Bryson and Butterfield if all of them were fit. Knowing that, his confidence and enthusiasm seems to have completely evaporated. He seems like one of those players who needs to be valued and needs to be loved.

29 minutes ago, cannable said:

Games such as…

Usually it's games against the better sides in the division.

For every performance say like Brighton away last season or Ipswich away the season before, there are countless others where he hasn't stepped up and driven us forward.

In 2013-14, the Leicester and Burnley away games stand out. In 2014-15, Reading at home stands out. In 2015-16, Hull at home in the play-offs stands out.

Even this season, he has failed to get us going in games where you'd look to him to be the difference maker. It's already been well established that he was poor against Burton and Barnsley and for me, he didn't really contribute anything significant against Brighton or Villa.

Maybe we expect too much from him or maybe we are holding up him to an impossible standard, but I don't think he produces his very best often enough at this stage in his career.

On 27/08/2016 at 15:06, Mostyn6 said:

Ask yourselves this question, in how many of Hughes' games for Derby, has he been the best midfielder on the pitch?

Possibly count the games on one hand. Even if you've lost a finger in an industrial accident.

I don't think this means that Hughes isn't an excellent player. How many of any of our players have won us matches on their own? When we were on song in the Clough/McClaren season different people were exceptional at different times but mos of our good perfomances came when 5 or 6 players played well together.

For me Hughes' strength isn't  about 'grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck' or dominating it's about knitting things together, quietly dictating the tempo and bringing others into the game. It sounds a stupid thing to say but we're much better when everyone is involved and the players are allowed to play to their strengths.

Plus Hughes' isn't a DM. We've spectacularly failed to find cover for Thorne. All the messing about with different systems and having a whole new team of players to play a plan b could have so easily been avoided by just getting adequate cover for Thorne.

Just now, RodleyRam said:

I don't think this means that Hughes isn't an excellent player. How many of any of our players have won us matches on their own? When we were on song in the Clough/McClaren season different people were exceptional at different times but mos of our good perfomances came when 5 or 6 players played well together.

For me Hughes' strength isn't  about 'grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck' or dominating it's about knitting things together, quietly dictating the tempo and bringing others into the game. It sounds a stupid thing to say but we're much better when everyone is involved and the players are allowed to play to their strengths.

Plus Hughes' isn't a DM. We've spectacularly failed to find cover for Thorne. All the messing about with different systems and having a whole new team of players to play a plan b could have so easily been avoided by just getting adequate cover for Thorne.

nothing you say is wrong, but the reputation Hughes has, and the way people talk about him isn't balanced in my opinion.

There are plenty of players that would be regarded as rubbish on this forum who have been far more influential by the same age and level of experience. Keane, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Carrick, Lallana (in promotion season), even the likes of Jenas, Prutton, Kieron Dyer etc, going back 10 years had all done way way better.

My view on this is that people often look for the wrong things in Hughes and think he is a different type of player to the one he actually is and that's because of the massive potential tag that's been put on him as a youngster breaking through when for a long time he looked far more composed and experienced than a lot of the players around him who should have been the solid experienced ones ,,, hugest is not the free running ,free scoring type of midfielder that sins games on his own what he is is a fantastic player when put in a confident team that has MOVEMENT off the ball ,, then he really shines with his reading of the game , his passing ability ,his little trick or two , then he really creates , knits the team together and opens the opposition up , I also think that's why he has not been snapped up as he really is hard to pidgin hole as a certain type of midfielder that nails down a ridged position , he is the one real player you could say is far and away best suited to 4/3/3 , he needs to be given freedom in midfield to roam a bit and not too many sides will set up that way ,, in short for me he is a very good player but yet to nail down his proper position and maybe that's what Pearson is trying to do with him ,get him to add stuff to his game that will take him to the next level ,, time will tell 

In a lump it long, scrap for results team, he is not the best. Though he won't lack effort.

In a good passing team he makes it tick. 

I know which I'd rather watch and these are the games I remember and get me through the long drive to home games. Driving home again can seem even longer! 

He's not a luxury but an important part of the type of team I want to watch.

I'll support the team regardless of style, system or results but I know what I want to spend my time and money watching. 

Archived