Will Hughes

Warren Hobhead

12 minutes ago, Gladram said:

In a lump it long, scrap for results team, he is not the best. Though he won't lack effort.

In a good passing team he makes it tick. 

I know which I'd rather watch and these are the games I remember and get me through the long drive to home games. Driving home again can seem even longer! 

He's not a luxury but an important part of the type of team I want to watch.

I'll support the team regardless of style, system or results but I know what I want to spend my time and money watching. 

Agree with all of this, including the bit about the long drive home which, after Brighton, Barnsley and Villa, has been a bit of a drag. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Thorne and Hendrick are big misses at this moment in time. We have no physicality and no-one in the midfield with even the remotest of defensive instincts. 

Can't believe you've put Hendrick, physicality and defensive instincts in the same sentence.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Can't believe you've put Hendrick, physicality and defensive instincts in the same sentence.

Could that apply to Hughes as well then .

Question here how many goals has Will scored and I like Will Hughes  bye the way.

Mostyn has a great point maybe we should listen to him 

21 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Pretending? How so? 

I've always reined in my opinion of Hughes, for years. I've always said he doesn't influence the game enough. This isn't a new stance I'm taking. 

You know what I tend to agree with you .

But you are not allowed to be critical of him it's just not allowed .

Every mistake he ever makes is never reported unlike with all the other players  

Having said that he's still learning and has great potential to be whatever he wants to be .

I like the lad I but don't revere him .

He has a big future but how big is up to him   

He's not a goalscorer and he's not a tough tackler but he does knit the play together for us when he's on his game .

The lad needs time for me and less adulation  

10 minutes ago, curtains said:

Could that apply to Hughes as well then .

Yep, but less so. Hughes is strong in the tackle and knows when to get booked, if you know what I mean. In some games, Will Hughes gets booed off the pitch by the opposition because of some dirty tackle, shirt pull or something or other he's done. Hughes is still not a CDM but probably the best pick of an unsuitable bunch when Thorne is injured (oh, and apparently it's STILL impossible to sign another CDM).

I've seen Hendrick get booked for a randomly awful challenge before, but he's not the sort of player the opposition would call dirty. He's often criticised for going missing in games and fans say you could have forgotten he was there - and the same could be said for the opposition, who might be totally unaware that Hendrick was playing. Even when he's not playing well, Hughes is still hacking away at the opposition and you know he's there. Not the same for Hendrick.

Hendrick is not a defensive midfielder, and never will be. He's a good attacking player with a cracking shot, decent close range finishing, and a very capable dribbler. But to say he has defensive instincts or any kind of meaningful physicality to his game simply isn't true.

9 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Yep, but less so. Hughes is strong in the tackle and knows when to get booked, if you know what I mean. In some games, Will Hughes gets booed off the pitch by the opposition because of some dirty tackle, shirt pull or something or other he's done. Hughes is still not a CDM but probably the best pick of an unsuitable bunch when Thorne is injured (oh, and apparently it's STILL impossible to sign another CDM).

I've seen Hendrick get booked for a randomly awful challenge before, but he's not the sort of player the opposition would call dirty. He's often criticised for going missing in games and fans say you could have forgotten he was there - and the same could be said for the opposition, who might be totally unaware that Hendrick was playing. Even when he's not playing well, Hughes is still hacking away at the opposition and you know he's there. Not the same for Hendrick.

Hendrick is not a defensive midfielder, and never will be. He's a good attacking player with a cracking shot, decent close range finishing, and a very capable dribbler. But to say he has defensive instincts or any kind of meaningful physicality to his game simply isn't true.

But I was thinking more about the goal scoring from midfield  side of his game and I'm not criticizing Will Hughes because I rate the lad .

Will needs to improve some aspects of his game but he has time on his side I hope if he keeps his head right  

Will isn't a holding midfielder of the Drinkwater type but he can use the ball well from the back which has to be the thinking while Thorne is injured. 

Will is a difficult player to pigeon hole into a position in a  side. 

Pearson and Powell have to get the best out of him for sure. 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

But I was thinking more about the goal scoring from midfield  side of his game and I'm not criticizing Will Hughes because I rate the lad .

Will needs to improve some aspects of his game but he has time on his side I hope. 

Well I thought we were talking about how Hendrick isn't very strong defensively? Hendrick gets more goals than Hughes but they have different roles. Hendrick is more likely to be a runner and get on the end of the move, Hughes is more likely to make one of the key passes in the move. Both are important.

Do agree that Hughes needs to add more goals to his game though.

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Well I thought we were talking about how Hendrick isn't very strong defensively? Hendrick gets more goals than Hughes but they have different roles. Hendrick is more likely to be a runner and get on the end of the move, Hughes is more likely to make one of the key passes in the move. Both are important.

Do agree that Hughes needs to add more goals to his game though.

I leave it at that .

As I say Hughes has a massive future and I hope it's at Derby. 

The lad is a great prospect and that should be remembered .

No I don't think he is a luxury player ,, i fully believe that somehow we have come to look on him as that type of category player because he has so much potential at a young age and outshone most of our senior players when he broke through ,, he is just not the solo individual piece of magic type player ,, he is very much a team player who brings others into the game , in a side lacking confidence and work rate with players not showing for the ball and not making runs he can look very ordinary  but in a fluid team that gives the player on the ball options and pulls the opposition around then you have got a very good player on your hands ,, I think you have highlighted the miscoseption around Hughes , he is not that luxury player that can get you a solo goal out of nothing but can go missing for games on end ,, he reads the game fantastically and does the simple stuff very very well and quickly( the part of his game most underrated ) but I do agree in a sense that he is far from the finished article and I really think he needs a good coach / manager to work out what his best position is and get him to work his backside off develop his game to nail down that position wherever it turns out to be 

but what you're saying is effectively we cannot have him in the current side because we lack fluidity and movement and therefore he cannot and does not perform, and cannot change the tempo of a game. Which basically agrees with my stance that he isn't as good YET as people make out he is.

I still have high hope for him, but when players like Paul Green, who isn't a patch on Hughes ability-wise, can influence the team over the season more positively than Hughes does, it's time to realise, he either has to change his game and become effective or leave.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Hughes is strong in the tackle and knows when to get booked.

Hughes is still not a CDM but probably the best pick of an unsuitable bunch when Thorne is injured..

He's (Hendrick) often criticised for going missing in games and fans say you could have forgotten he was there.

Hughes is still hacking away at the opposition and you know he's there. Not the same for Hendrick.

Hendrick is not a defensive midfielder, and never will be. He's a good (sort of) attacking player with a cracking shot, decent close range finishing, and a very capable dribbler. But to say he has defensive instincts or any kind of meaningful physicality to his game simply isn't true.

For me personally as a spectator and a fan, Inigo Idiakez and Georgi Kinkladze were the two best Attacking Midfielders (AM) which I've seen playing for Derby. The most creative in creating chances and also scoring goals at the same time.

If I look at the Defensive Midfielders (DM) category, George Thorne and Seth Johnson were the two best which I've seen playing. Hard tacklers interceptors and also equipped with a good passing skills.

In the Box-to-Box Central Midfielders (B-T-B CM) category, Craig Bryson and Matt Oakley were two best which I've seen playing. Hard runners with tactical astuteness and at the same time also goal scorers.

Finally, the Creative Playmakers Midfielders (CPM) category, Will Hughes and Leon Osman were the two best which I've seen playing. Creative with vision possessing outstanding ball controlling skills with a lot of anticipation and excellent passing skills.

So where does Jeff Hendrick fits and is his real position? 

Somewhere in between. He is not a real AM, he is not at all a DM, he is not good enough to be a CPM, he is a sort of attacking B-t-B CM.

10 million pounds is more than good price for him. Wave him goodbye and wish him all the best.

Will Hughes should definitely stay in Derby for another year or two; and if Derby doesn't achieve promotion by then he should also look for other options in his career and probably excel it somewhere else at a higher level.

He can't influence a game unless he has the ball and people moving to receive passes. He can tackle, work back, mark players, things you expect any player to do, but he's no better at this than your average midfield journey man.

In games you see him looking for the ball and when he has it looking for the pass. As I said in an earlier post, he's not playing particularly well at he moment, he's not making the passes you'd hope. I've seen him in games over the years when he couldn't pass water and criticised him for it.

The thread started with the statement his ability is a myth, this I disagree with. He is a class player but his form is patchy. People have suggested Jeff Hendrick has developed more as player since breaking into the 1st team but I think Will has developed more. Opposition have targeted him as our main threat and set out to stop him, don't think a team has ever set up to stop Jeff, and he's had to learn to deal with this. He's played different positions and formations, which is good for his development, and won't play well in all of them.

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

They are in separate sentences and separate points. I apologise if that wasn't clear. Would you disagree with either point?

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

They are in separate sentences and separate points. I apologise if that wasn't clear. Would you disagree with either point?

Sentence, paragraph. Tomato Tomato ;) 

And if you look at my subsequent posts, yes, I would disagree. Hendrick has a lot of strengths, but some pretty evident weaknesses too. A lack of defensive awareness and an inability to use his athleticism for any kind of meaningful physicality might just be the most glaring of those weaknesses.

For what it's worth, I'll chuck my two penneth in.

I'd sell Hughes. Especially for the stupid money going around at the minute.

He's good. Technically he's brilliant. But a good touch and a nice pass doesn't cut it in England. Not unless you have pace and power to go with it.

Hughes style fits in with another league like La Liga where the players are more technical and less rushed.

Nobody, to our knowledge, has come in for Hughes despite all the raving about him in previous seasons. That says a lot, and I suspect his pace and physical attributes (or lack of) have been noted.

That leaves him stuck in the Championship where you won't see the best of him. And he isn't a Pearson type of player.

Gone are the days where you can build a team around a player, so for the good of the lad and the club I'd cash in.

2 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

He's good. Technically he's brilliant. But a good touch and a nice pass doesn't cut it in England. Not unless you have pace and power to go with it.

Hughes style fits in with another league like La Liga where the players are more technical and less rushed.

Nobody, to our knowledge, has come in for Hughes despite all the raving about him in previous seasons. That says a lot, and I suspect his pace and physical attributes (or lack of) have been noted.

That leaves him stuck in the Championship where you won't see the best of him. And he isn't a Pearson type of player.

Gone are the days where you can build a team around a player, so for the good of the lad and the club I'd cash in.

I think we are heading that way, maybe not this season but not long, he wasn't even a first pick when hendrick was available and I don't think he would be selected if we had a fit Thorne by Pearson 

9 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Super John, I couldn't disagree more. Why would you consider letting our technically best player go at this current time? You claim he won't be successful in England without pace and power, which is farcical. Such a naive view that technically good players should play in a less competitive league. You don't have a clue of the inner workings of the transfers at Derby, so you can't possibly know about a bid for him. Also, 'Pearson type player' is what exactly? If he's a decent manager he should be able to utilise gifted talents like Will Hughes.

If we did sell for decent money, do you really trust the club to invest it wisely at the minute.  

34 minutes ago, ramLAD said:

Super John, I couldn't disagree more. Why would you consider letting our technically best player go at this current time? You claim he won't be successful in England without pace and power, which is farcical. Such a naive view that technically good players should play in a less competitive league. You don't have a clue of the inner workings of the transfers at Derby, so you can't possibly know about a bid for him. Also, 'Pearson type player' is what exactly? If he's a decent manager he should be able to utilise gifted talents like Will Hughes.

If we did sell for decent money, do you really trust the club to invest it wisely at the minute.  

It's not a naive view in the slightest. That's my opinion of Hughes, not all players.

Like I said, 'to our knowledge' we haven't received any bids for him.

I would let him go because I don't think he's going to get any better playing in this division. If he can make a career in the Prem, great. I'd be pleased for the lad. But my opinion is that he's a 'footballer' and the more technically gifted footballers tend to play abroad. Again, not all.

Do you really think Hughes is going to progress much further playing in the Championship? Given that he's struggling to even adapt to a different Midfield position?. If he doesn't progress his value will drop.

I'd love for him to stay and help Derby achieve things, but we've gone backwards in the past 12 months and I wouldn't like to see him being held back while we re-group.

So, off your high horse mate, because whilst I don't know all the in's and out's, neither do you.

Archived