Matej Vydra - Signed 4 year deal

Curtains

All this talk of defensive discipline is as boring as watching us play at the minute. Really hope we sign vydra ?and actually start attacking games. I know he hasn't been here long but watching us under Pearson at the moment reminds me of the clement days, ??? we definitely need some flair from somewhere all the players look like their to scared of making a mistake rather than actually playing to your strengths. 

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

I'm not sure NP will go for this. A diamond leaves full backs too exposed as our midfielders won't double up wide. It isn't solid enough to create the defensive discipline he is looking for

Why not ! In defensive positions you could effectively play with a back 5 ! Then going forward if both full backs bond forward the player at the base of the diamond could from into the back 2 to make a back 3 making sure your defensively covered at all times ! You also have enough players in the centre of midfield to cover the wider areas if the pressures on letting the player at the tip of the diamond drop in too the midfield to cover ! 

Summary from a Watford fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtaytweRt0Q

It's all his goals from 12/13. Never ever used a youtube video to make an argument about a player before but you can tell most goals follow a similar pattern. Ball in space over the top of the defense for him to run onto, followed by clinical finish. Vintage Vydra. If a football dictionary existed, his goal against Brighton at 02:42 in that video would be the definition of Matej Vydra.

He lives on the last man, and has a lot of pace that is a nightmare for defenders, especially at Championship level. He's practically unplayable if the opposing team is playing a high back line and you've got a decent amount of players hitting into space for him (we had Deeney, Cassetti, Chalobah, Pudil and Abdi doing so during his peak). But on the other hand he always looked completely lost when playing against a deep back line, or playing with a bunch of players who arn't quick to spot his runs and release him (you could see him get visibly frustrated during our promotion season with Toszer, Ighlao, Munari, etc who never played with the speed of the previously mentioned).

His finishing is his absolute best aspect. There's not a player i've seen in a Watford shirt who I've trusted to finish a 1v1 more than I have Vydra. And that includes very good Championship level/Lower Prem level players such as King, Deeney, Helguson, Ighalo, Forestieri, Henderson, Graham.

His, finishing and movement off the last man make him a real threat. However, I'd struggle to tell you any other areas he gets more than 5-6/10 in. He had good link-up play with Deeney but literally every Striker has good link-up play with Deeney. And he has a decent workrate, never stops running. And he was crap in the box. I don't know the logic of that when his movement is impeccable higher up the pitch , but he never had any presence when in the box. Probably the worst striker in the league with his back to goal as well.

34 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I have to disagree ! I think irellavant of leagues formations should be suited to the players you have at the club . 

We have the players for a diamond , very attacking full backs who could effectively play as wing backs.  Plenty of depth in midfield and would suit our better midfielders I. E Thorne and Hughes.  Also we have no real wingers so that sorts that problem!

What we disagree on, then, is the way it would be suited to the players of our club.

Thorne can't be relied on to play 15 games, let alone 46. The diamond creates a massive gap in midfield when the wide midfielders are supporting the fullbacks, so the wide players need the engine of Bryson circa 2013 plus the intelligence of Hughes, PLUS the defensive capabilities of Thorne in order to play the system effectively. Butterfield doesn't have the engine for it, Johnson doesn't have the intelligence for it, Hendrick doesn't have the defensive capabilities for it; only Huighes has the potential to be all thing to all men, but I don't think we can (yet) take for granted that his overall game hasn't suffered from his ACL injury.

In my mind it's too much for a squad where you generally have one player who excels at one thing, but is a bit rubbish at three others to carry off - ie your typical top 6 / top 10 Championship squad, which despite some claims to the contrary, is what we have.

Some would say that Paul Clement was trying to play a system that suited the likes of Real Madrid, but wasn't really adaptable to a team at our level. That point could be countered by looking at Boro under Kawanka - the difference is that they bought the right players to pull it off and stuck with the method, attractive or not, through thick and thin (even when there was somewhat of a revolt against him in the latter p;art of last season) - we pulled the trigger on Clement  before he'd managed to get us 'full-on-Boro' even though ultimately it could have proven successful, went with Wassall to try to emulate McClaren (which was 75% succesful) , and have now doine a 180 with Pearson, who, so far, looks to me making us even less attractive than Boro!

Teams don't seem to be playing high lines against us though. They seem to sit back and watch us implode on ourselves shooting from range and playing it out wide for an aimless cross.

I don't have access to the stats, but it seems like we play more crosses than any other team I've ever seen.

6 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why not ! In defensive positions you could effectively play with a back 5 ! Then going forward if both full backs bond forward the player at the base of the diamond could from into the back 2 to make a back 3 making sure your defensively covered at all times ! You also have enough players in the centre of midfield to cover the wider areas if the pressures on letting the player at the tip of the diamond drop in too the midfield to cover ! 

Easy tiger!

Understand what you are saying about making a back 3 but that doesn't cover us out wide - our midfielders have shown on numerous occasions that they aren't effective in a diamond especially out wide. Many people complain our fullbacks don't get enough cover as it is! Also without George Thorne who is fit currently to play the tip of the diamond effectively to make a back 3 when the full backs bomb on

A diamond is notoriously difficult to get right especially at lower league levels. Can you tell me 1 team in recent history who has been promoted playing a diamond formation? You may like it but I just can't see NP going for it as it isn't solid enough.

Teams don't seem to be playing high lines against us though. They seem to sit back and watch us implode on ourselves shooting from range and playing it out wide for an aimless cross.

I don't have access to the stats, but it seems like we play more crosses than any other team I've ever seen.

More bad crosses.

8 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Summary from a Watford fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtaytweRt0Q

It's all his goals from 12/13. Never ever used a youtube video to make an argument about a player before but you can tell most goals follow a similar pattern. Ball in space over the top of the defense for him to run onto, followed by clinical finish. Vintage Vydra. If a football dictionary existed, his goal against Brighton at 02:42 in that video would be the definition of Matej Vydra.

He lives on the last man, and has a lot of pace that is a nightmare for defenders, especially at Championship level. He's practically unplayable if the opposing team is playing a high back line and you've got a decent amount of players hitting into space for him (we had Deeney, Cassetti, Chalobah, Pudil and Abdi doing so during his peak). But on the other hand he always looked completely lost when playing against a deep back line, or playing with a bunch of players who arn't quick to spot his runs and release him (you could see him get visibly frustrated during our promotion season with Toszer, Ighlao, Munari, etc who never played with the speed of the previously mentioned).

His finishing is his absolute best aspect. There's not a player i've seen in a Watford shirt who I've trusted to finish a 1v1 more than I have Vydra. And that includes very good Championship level/Lower Prem level players such as King, Deeney, Helguson, Ighalo, Forestieri, Henderson, Graham.

His, finishing and movement off the last man make him a real threat. However, I'd struggle to tell you any other areas he gets more than 5-6/10 in. He had good link-up play with Deeney but literally every Striker has good link-up play with Deeney. And he has a decent workrate, never stops running. And he was crap in the box. I don't know the logic of that when his movement is impeccable higher up the pitch , but he never had any presence when in the box. Probably the worst striker in the league with his back to goal as well.

Sounds like Jamie Vardy to me!

1 hour ago, BranstonRam said:

The watford forum locals are gagging to take this offer. Seen and viewed a few threads where they do not rate him as the player he once was. 

Oh well, Pearson sees something so let's have a look what happens *boos at the ready*

If we took notice of what's on forums when recruiting players we'd be in deep doodoo!

Archived