Derby fans groan all game, then 'boo' at half time, and then wonder why we lose!

Mostyn6

Never sure how to feel about booing. I never boo myself, but I see that people should be letting the players and managers know they are unhappy with the performance.

At the end of the day we pay to be entertained, if the football isn't entertaining your money is wasted!

It can go two ways I guess.

1) People boo and the players go back into the changing room wanting to put right what they already knew was a poor performance

2) People boo and the players think **** you then and become frustrated, slow and believe they have already lost.

I suppose it depends on the player. I'd categorise the players (In my personal opinion, I don't know any of them) as:

Group 1: Christie, Keogh, Butterfield, Hughes, Russell

Group 2: Johnson, Hendrick, Sometimes Ince although credit to him yesterday, I think he was a spark, Martin, Bent, Blackman

Not sure about the rest

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Yes I was there and I share the same views, (Blackman also stealing a living)

I think singling Blackman out yesterday is harsh.

Created out best chance of the match.

Don't like him personally but actually thought he was one of our better players yesterday.

11 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Every time it happens, I keep asking myself how the culprits think it can possibly help?

That's kind of the point. People aren't doing it to help. Folk say "how does booing motivate players", "how does it help", "what good does it do"? 

Well supporters don't boo to motivate, help or do good, they do it to show displeasure, the same way they cheer and clap to show pleasure. It's an emotive reaction to what they are seeing. So next time, instead of thinking "how can it possibly help", think "why are supporters booing" and it might help. 

One other thing, in so far as upsetting the players and hurting their feelings enough that they can't function efficiently, is booing worse than a general wall of shouting criticism? I don't boo but I will have a go at them, is that just as bad?

If it isn't good then stay quiet .. That is more than enough. .. Sorry but a negative booing raging crown breeds panic, fires up the wrong emotions and achieves nothing. They know, they are not stupid; silence is a better weapon than beating up your own team. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think singling Blackman out yesterday is harsh.

Created out best chance of the match.

Don't like him personally but actually thought he was one of our better players yesterday.

Not particularly yesterday but based on his productiveness since he arrived 

12 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

That's kind of the point. People aren't doing it to help. Folk say "how does booing motivate players", "how does it help", "what good does it do"? 

Well supporters don't boo to motivate, help or do good, they do it to show displeasure, the same way they cheer and clap to show pleasure. It's an emotive reaction to what they are seeing. So next time, instead of thinking "how can it possibly help", think "why are supporters booing" and it might help. 

One other thing, in so far as upsetting the players and hurting their feelings enough that they can't function efficiently, is booing worse than a general wall of shouting criticism? I don't boo but I will have a go at them, is that just as bad?

not saying you're wrong, but would say perhaps those people would be better off finding a new hobby if they are getting so much displeasure. 

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

you clearly do not understand the human brain. Maybe do a little research before making some wild assumption that money influences ability to perform under venomous pressure.

yeah, great, thanks. Well debated. It's probably people like you that threaten players on a night out. Class act you.

And you accuse someone of "wild assumptions"?

I always think how I would react as a sportsman if I was being booed or did something that lead to groan/geared.

if I made a mistake I would be desperate not to make the same mistake again.

only had to look at Blackman against Brighton. Beat his man 3 times early in the first half, laid a chance on a plate for Ince and looked positive. First time he didn't beat his man you could hear the crowd groan, moan and have a pop at him. Next time he got the ball? Simple inside pass.

and we wonder why we have limited creativity and creative players dramatically loose form when they join us.

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Not particularly yesterday but based on his productiveness since he arrived 

Fair comment although I would guess his current run of 3 games is his longest stint at proving himself.

Does anyone actually know what his position is yet?

Maybe harsh but I think him and Bent are both very unintelligent players hence why they are not really getting any chances.

18 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair the Derby fans made very little noise once the game had kicked off, would hardly say they inspired the team.

I don't think we have for a long time. I think our atmosphere has got pretty poor. Home and away we seem to go quiet if we havent scored within the first 5 mins and just groan until we do. 

3 minutes ago, KBB said:

I always think how I would react as a sportsman if I was being booed or did something that lead to groan/geared.

if I made a mistake I would be desperate not to make the same mistake again.

only had to look at Blackman against Brighton. Beat his man 3 times early in the first half, laid a chance on a plate for Ince and looked positive. First time he didn't beat his man you could hear the crowd groan, moan and have a pop at him. Next time he got the ball? Simple inside pass.

and we wonder why we have limited creativity and creative players dramatically loose form when they join us.

This

Just now, jimbobram said:

I don't think we have for a long time. I think our atmosphere has got pretty poor. Home and away we seem to go quiet if we havent scored within the first 5 mins and just groan until we do. 

It's quite strange, look at my post from 5 minutes before kick off and I said the fans were in good voice. As soon as the match kicked off it was virtually silent.

Archived