Derby fans groan all game, then 'boo' at half time, and then wonder why we lose!

Mostyn6

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine being out in the middle and a few hundred or maybe thousand getting on your back. Then they start to boo the whole team.

It is bound to have an effect.

Get behind them for a few weeks and see if the performances improve.

Motivation is a great thing.

Bloke behind me last night moaning and whining and being armchair manager shouting out the most banal of 'advice' even though nobody in a position to take his 'advice' on board on the field of play could even hear him. I'm only 4 games into my Derby journey but I totally understand now some of the posts on here about this and how much of an effect it has on your 'energy' if you have some bloke draining the life out of you by sitting there in your earshot huffing, sighing, getting angry, complaining, booing all the time.

The game isn't only crap for you mate! It's crap for us all so have a day off you miserable get!!:angry:

First time poster

Due to work I have been restricted to just a handful of games in the last couple of years but last night presented an opportunity to watch the rams. I sat in the east stand with a few friends that have never been to a match before. What struck me/us throughout the game was the complete lack of support that came from a section behind me. Nearly all game they were on a few players’ backs as soon as they had the ball and were certainly the main bulk of the booing and HT and FT.

In fairness a handful of supporters near where I was sat were quick to remind these people to support the team but their suggestions fell of deaf ears. In fact they got some abuse themselves.

Although I don’t want to claim to know how all these players have performed week in week out as I haven’t seen the games live. What did surprise me a lot was a fair amount of double standards towards certain players, particularly Chris Baird and Nick Blackman. Firstly the abuse Baird was getting first half was totally uncalled for. I thought he was solid despite his crossing being very poor at times. But he produced what I would expect from an experience utility player with someone as raw as Camara in front of him. As for Blackman, (I must confess first time I’ve seen him live) this guy looks shot of confidence and is snatching at every chance he gets to shoots. But I remember in the second half a chance fell to him where he could have crossed but went for goal and missed wildly, queue the abuse. However not long after Will Hughes who I do consider Derby’s best player misses a great chance from 12 yards and the same section of fans are chanting his name telling him to keep his chin up. I know Hughes has a place in the supporter’s hearts and has given a lot more to Derby but surely it will help these players struggling a bit to give them similar support?

Overall I thought it was a reasonable game, made more entertaining by the epic penalty to shootout. The wall of sound that came from the south stand in the second half that seemed to last for a good ten minutes non stop, really reminded me how much I’ve missed coming to games.

some Derby fans ought to have a good look at themselves , the pantomime type booing is getting boring now, why dont some of you treat yourselves and come to a game with an open mind , support the team, maybe even clap and cheer and you never know the team might reward you with a performance and three points , just a thought , why dont you give it a go

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 02:58, VulcanRam said:

That's kind of the point. People aren't doing it to help. Folk say "how does booing motivate players", "how does it help", "what good does it do"? 

Well supporters don't boo to motivate, help or do good, they do it to show displeasure, the same way they cheer and clap to show pleasure. It's an emotive reaction to what they are seeing. So next time, instead of thinking "how can it possibly help", think "why are supporters booing" and it might help. 

One other thing, in so far as upsetting the players and hurting their feelings enough that they can't function efficiently, is booing worse than a general wall of shouting criticism? I don't boo but I will have a go at them, is that just as bad?

Others seem already to have said much of what needs to be said but, being the argumentative little fellow I am, I can't resist.

You seem to feel that I've missed a critical aspect of fan behaviour; I haven't. My precise point was that it's counterproductive to what those who boo and call for managers and players' heads if you're a supporter (hence, I've highlighted the word.)

Presumably a supporter, beyond the immediate self-gratification they may feel from expressing their displeasure, wants the  poor run of team (or individual player) form to end. Whether the poor form is a result of lack of confidence, insufficient effort, lack of motivation or whatever, booing will, if anything, more likely have the effect of worsening the players' state of mind surely?

Therein, quite simply, if you're a supporter, you'd be better off expressing your displeasure in ways less likely to further diminish confidence, etc.

All too often the response from such people is "I pay my money so I'm entitled to say what want" or "they're a bunch of overpaid..." In other words, the attitude is often entirely self-centered and about their entitlement, ie the antithesis of support.

That was my point; as others have said, it makes one wonder why such people don't seek out interests which displease them less and appeal more to their 'individualism'.

Archived