Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly I can only see Jamie Hanson following the likes of Mark O'Brien, Miles Addison and Callum Ball down the football league.

Hughes has plenty of natural ability and potential, while Hendrick has become a decent player, but those aside its been disappointing to see how few players have come through the Derby academy and actually become solid (top two tiers) pros.

Leicester and Forest have unfortunately produced far better this side of the millennium.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sadly I can only see Jamie Hanson following the likes of Mark O'Brien, Miles Addison and Callum Ball down the football league.

Hughes has plenty of natural ability and potential, while Hendrick has become a decent player, but those aside its been disappointing to see how few players have come through the Derby academy and actually become solid (top two tiers) pros.

Leicester and Forest have unfortunately produced far better this side of the millennium.

Not disagreeing here because I've not really thought about it but are there many examples of Leicester/Forest players?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not disagreeing here because I've not really thought about it but are there many examples of Leicester/Forest players?

Forest have quite a few - Jenas, Huddlestone, Dawson, S Wright-Phillips, Morgan. Probably a fair few more that didn't make it to the Prem. But then Notts is a far bigger city than Derby so their talent pool is surely bigger.

Leicester less so - can only think of Andy King recently.

16 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Forest have quite a few - Jenas, Huddlestone, Dawson, S Wright-Phillips, Morgan. Probably a fair few more that didn't make it to the Prem. But then Notts is a far bigger city than Derby so their talent pool is surely bigger.

Huddlestone?!

Not sure how accurate this is, but players that have come through our academy/reserve team to play in the top 2 divisions over the last 10 years:-

Malcolm Christie 

Chris Riggott 

Steve Elliott 

Richard Jackson 

Paul Boertien

Lee Grant 

Adam Murray

Marvin Robinson

Adam Bolder

Pablo Mills 

Lee Camp 

Lewis Price 

Tom Huddlestone

Lee Holmes

Giles Barnes

Lewin Nyatanga

Miles Addison

Mark O'Brien

Ben Pringle

Callum Ball

Jeff Hendrick

Mason Bennett

Will Hughes

Kwame Thomas

Jamie Hanson

Kelle Roos

Farrend Rawson 

Max Lowe

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure how accurate this is, but players that have come through our academy/reserve team to play in the top 2 divisions over the last 10 years:-

Malcolm Christie 

Chris Riggott 

Steve Elliott 

Richard Jackson 

Paul Boertien

Lee Grant 

Adam Murray

Marvin Robinson

Adam Bolder

Pablo Mills 

Lee Camp 

Lewis Price 

Tom Huddlestone

Lee Holmes

Giles Barnes

Lewin Nyatanga

Miles Addison

Mark O'Brien

Ben Pringle

Callum Ball

Jeff Hendrick

Mason Bennett

Will Hughes

Kwame Thomas

Jamie Hanson

Kelle Roos

Farrend Rawson 

Max Lowe

Nathan Doyle and Ian Evatt as well

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Forest released Shaun Wright-Phillips because he was too small and he went to Man City where he made his break through. Tenuous links like that we might as well add Gary Cahill to our list.

32 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Wasn't Malcolm Christie brought from Nuneaton when he was about 24?

He was 18 or 19 and started out in the reserve team (in the days before 'academys' existed in their current forms).

That's my recollection anyway, sure he got called up to England u21 team so doubt he was as old as 24.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

He was 18 or 19 and started out in the reserve team (in the days before 'academys' existed in their current forms).

That's my recollection anyway, sure he got called up to England u21 team so doubt he was as old as 24.

it was also about 18 years ago under Jim Smith!

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Malcolm Christie 

Chris Riggott 

Steve Elliott 

Richard Jackson 

Paul Boertien

Lee Grant 

Adam Murray

Marvin Robinson

Adam Bolder

Pablo Mills 

Lee Camp 

Lewis Price 

Tom Huddlestone

Lee Holmes

Giles Barnes

Lewin Nyatanga

Miles Addison

Mark O'Brien

Ben Pringle

Callum Ball

Jeff Hendrick

Mason Bennett

Will Hughes

Kwame Thomas

Jamie Hanson

Kelle Roos

Farrend Rawson 

Max Lowe

I was implying players who actually established themselves as regulars at this level or higher. Most teams will have a long list of players who have played at this level due to teams naturally keeping younger players from the academy around until they realise they're not good enough.

Christie didn't come through with us, while Riggott was prior to 2000.

This side of the millennium you can only make a case for Huddlestone, Hendrick, Hughes, Grant and Camp.

Forest have more as do Leicester I believe.

17 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I was implying players who actually established themselves as regulars at this level or higher. Most teams will have a long list of players who have played at this level due to teams naturally keeping younger players from the academy around until they realise they're not good enough.

This side of the millennium you can only make a case for Huddlestone, Hendrick, Hughes, Grant and Camp.

Leicester have brought through Andy King, Jeffrey Schlupp, Ben Chillwell, Liam Moore and Richard Stearman. IMO that five is better than our five.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Riggott made his debut in 2000.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ian Evatt has a perfectly good case, played a season with QPR in the championship, a few good years with Blackpool including their season in the Prem.

Archived