Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

How did Liverpool not get a penalty today regarding Coutinho trying to stay on his feet just like Will Hughes tried to yesterday .

Wayne Rooney was another one today with Barton  but he went down but still no penalty after clear contact  

Referees need to get a grip with this situation .

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Lionel Messi is the greatest player to have ever played. 

It took me a long time to realise that. I do now. Last night he was absolutely brilliant - not just for his skill and power but also for his sheer will-to-win.

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Lionel Messi is the greatest player to have ever played. 

Without a doubt. People talk his goals and and rightly so but his dribbling ability and his vision is also out of this world. He confirmed his status for me as the best ever when he scored the 91 goals in one calendar year to beat gerd muller's record. The closest player in terms of pure talent I've seen that is close to Messi is R9 but unfortunately injuries eventually caught up with him. People talk about him not winning world cups but that doesn't mean anything as it's not his fault that he has got bottlers in his team like Higuain and Aguero. 

53 minutes ago, eddie said:

It took me a long time to realise that. I do now. Last night he was absolutely brilliant - not just for his skill and power but also for his sheer will-to-win.

Glad you have finally seen the light Eddie. As the commentator Gerry Armstrong  said last night, Messi is in a completely different league to Cristiano Ronaldo and I think deep down, Ronaldo knows that to. For me he is also the greatest passer in the final third of the pitch of all time, which I don't think many give him credit for.

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think Diego Maradona would probably have something to say about that.

Excelled in 3 different countries and for Argentina too.

Ibrahimovic has excelled in a number of different countries and for Sweden, does that make him better than Messi? 

33 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Ibrahimovic has excelled in a number of different countries and for Sweden, does that make him better than Messi? 

Maradonna is one of those that achieved greatness AND never realised his true potential. There's a couple of documentaries about him, and he's totally bonkers.

I wonder how he would fare in the game today, but my opinion is that Maradonna at his best, is better than Messi at his best. I think Diego won the world cup on his own in 1986.

Cannot remember how young/old you are, but I would hazard a guess that Maradonna was a bit before your conscious football-loving time.

It's all subjective anyway.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Maradonna is one of those that achieved greatness AND never realised his true potential. There's a couple of documentaries about him, and he's totally bonkers.

I wonder how he would fare in the game today, but my opinion is that Maradonna at his best, is better than Messi at his best. I think Diego won the world cup on his own in 1986.

Cannot remember how young/old you are, but I would hazard a guess that Maradonna was a bit before your conscious football-loving time.

It's all subjective anyway.

Everyone has opinions but IMO there is no point looking at team titles when discussing the quality of an individual player. Messi is just a phenonemon - scoring, passing, dribbling, vision, will to win, movement.

Maradona got absoloutely nowhere near the amount of goals and assists that Messi has.

When people talk about him winning the World Cup on his own, that's absoloute rubbish. Maradona had absoloutely nothing to do with how well Argentina's defence played, or how many chances the opposition missed.

It's a team game and you can make crucial contributions, as Maradona did. But ultimately you can't win competitions without your teammates doing their job.

Messi would be a World Cup winner and two-time Copa Americawinner if Higuain hadn't missed absoloute sitters in each final. One player shouldn't define the greatness of another.

Maradona only broke the 20-goal record in one of his ten seasons in Europe. You could argue he wasn't an out-an-out striker, but neither is Messi. Messi is practically playing as a midfielder this season, and he's the top scorer in Europe. That's insane.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Everyone has opinions but IMO there is no point looking at team titles when discussing the quality of an individual player. Messi is just a phenonemon - scoring, passing, dribbling, vision, will to win, movement.

Maradona got absoloutely nowhere near the amount of goals and assists that Messi has.

When people talk about him winning the World Cup on his own, that's absoloute rubbish. Maradona had absoloutely nothing to do with how well Argentina's defence played, or how many chances the opposition missed.

It's a team game and you can make crucial contributions, as Maradona did. But ultimately you can't win competitions without your teammates doing their job.

Messi would be a World Cup winner and two-time Copa Americawinner if Higuain hadn't missed absoloute sitters in each final. One player shouldn't define the greatness of another.

Maradona only broke the 20-goal record in one of his ten seasons in Europe. You could argue he wasn't an out-an-out striker, but neither is Messi. Messi is practically playing as a midfielder this season, and he's the top scorer in Europe. That's insane.

Does Messi stand out at international level?

I don't know the answer as I very rarely see Argentina play.

The times I have seen him play in the World Cup he was ok but not the performances you would expect from the best player ever.

Congratulations Newcastle on the promotion and if keep same squad then please get at least 5 points next season. #ComingBackDownAgainLOL

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Does Messi stand out at international level?

I don't know the answer as I very rarely see Argentina play.

The times I have seen him play in the World Cup he was ok but not the performances you would expect from the best player ever.

He won player of the tournament at World Cup Brazil 2014, player of the tournament at the Copa America 2015 and finished second top scorer at Copa America 2016 playing two games less.

Messi has a 1 in 2 record for Argentina which is pretty amazing considering he mostly plays in midfield for them. He is Argentina's all-time top scorer and their best ever scorer in a calender year.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Congratulations Newcastle on the promotion and if keep same squad then please get at least 5 points next season. #ComingBackDownAgainLOL

They've been promoted, but really, with the amount of money they've chucked at it, and the fact that they've a got a champions league winning manager, they ought to be hanging their head in shame that they didn't walk this league. 2nd is the absolute minimum their fans should've been expecting from then this season. 

I know nothing is ever guaranteed in the championship. But I don't think you would've won much money if you bet on Newcastle being promoted this season. The only shockercis that's they haven't done first. 

21 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

They've been promoted, but really, with the amount of money they've chucked at it, and the fact that they've a got a champions league winning manager, they ought to be hanging their head in shame that they didn't walk this league. 2nd is the absolute minimum their fans should've been expecting from then this season. 

I know nothing is ever guaranteed in the championship. But I don't think you would've won much money if you bet on Newcastle being promoted this season. The only shockercis that's they haven't done first. 

Spot on.

Can't imagine the premier league will be quaking at that team. Plenty of weaknesses for Rafa to work on.

Archived