No new signings will we be able to compete?

toddy

For my money, if the squad plays to potential, the management gets more right than wrong and we get a bit of luck, we should finish around fourth to sixth. 

I think Newcastle, Norwich and Brighton will be a shade too strong over the course of 46 games and finish in the top three. Derby will be slugging it out with Sheffield Wednesday and whoever makes the seemingly traditional late season run up the ladder. 

Just my opinion though...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CastletonRam said:

Norwich and Newcastle have stronger squads than us and Brighton and Sheff Wednesday have strengthened, so will Villa and Wolves. 

Who have they strengthened with? We used £25m to "strengthen" last summer. Spending money isn't always strengthening 

2 hours ago, curtains said:

Click on each team 

example Norwich have signed  Canos from Liverpool for 2.5 Million and already have a great squad.

McGovern also on a free to Norwich  

Click on Newcastle. .

http://www.skysports.com/football/team-transfers-championship

Do you know much about Canos? Would you prefer him here and if so based on what? You were telling people to back the manager the other day. You're questioning him and we've not played yer. 

2015 on another thread on another forum for another club

"How can we compete with clubs like Derby who have spent £25m on a team that spent most of last season in the top 3 and finished 3rd the season before?"

I really, really, really, really hate transfer windows. It sends people nuts. 

How much money did Leicester spend under Sven? And how much did they spend last summer? No matter how many cases there are of clubs wasting money people still **** themselves if their club hasn't spent as much as a rival.

£10m last summer on central midfielders and you ask Derby fans who they'd start on Saturday from a fully fit squad and most will pick lads that have been here years. Is that strengthening?

And when all this transfer garbage ends we get people announcing league Champions in September.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Who have they strengthened with? We used £25m to "strengthen" last summer. Spending money isn't always strengthening 

Do you know much about Canos? Would you prefer him here and if so based on what? You were telling people to back the manager the other day. You're questioning him and we've not played yer. 

2015 on another thread on another forum for another club

"How can we compete with clubs like Derby who have spent £25m on a team that spent most of last season in the top 3 and finished 3rd the season before?"

I really, really, really, really hate transfer windows. It sends people nuts. 

How much money did Leicester spend under Sven? And how much did they spend last summer? No matter how many cases there are of clubs wasting money people still **** themselves if their club hasn't spent as much as a rival.

£10m last summer on central midfielders and you ask Derby fans who they'd start on Saturday from a fully fit squad and most will pick lads that have been here years. Is that strengthening?

And when all this transfer garbage ends we get people announcing league Champions in September.

Hughes and Bryson injured 1st game last season so we were short of midfielders and had to get replacements and it is a fact of life that the transfer market is necessary in modern football  even though prices are inflated  .

Hughes and Bryson missed a lot of last season  in fact nearly all of it .

I  still don't think our strikers are good enough (Andre Gray please last season ) and I don't think our team is good enough to finish top 2 .

Noticed you said you were going 0-0 against Brighton  why was that ! 

Do you think we can't score goals  

Football is a crazy game anyway at the moment 

100 million for a player being advocated  (Man U ) 

Whise fault is that  .

Mine I suppose .

You have to compete in Football  otherwise what's the point  .

Maybe people don't like the game anymore .

Complaining about ticket prices etc etc  

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Hughes and Bryson injured 1st game last season so we were short of midfielders and had to get replacements and it is a fact of life that the transfer market is necessary in modern football  even though prices are inflated  .

Hughes and Bryson missed a lot of last season  in fact nearly all of it .

I  still don't think our strikers are good enough (Andre Gray please last season ) and I don't think our team is good enough to finish top 2 .

Noticed you said you were going 0-0 against Brighton  why was that ! 

Do you think we can't score goals  

Football is a crazy game anyway at the moment 

100 million for a player being advocated  (Man U ) 

Whise fault is that  .

Mine I suppose .

You have to compete in Football  otherwise what's the point  .

Maybe people don't like the game anymore .

Complaining about ticket prices etc etc  

Firstly I predicted 0-0 because I don't think anybody will won every game and Brighton are good, Derby are good, opening day pressure.... Nothing to do with a goal drought

Is it your fault Man United are spending £100m on a player? I'm gonna go with a 'no' on this? 

Yeah you do have to compete in football. It's not a game of who spends the most wins though. It's played on a pitch. Where one of the biggest spending clubs in this league last year finished 5th, one of the lowest spending in the PL won the league. One of the richest clubs in the world failed to qualify for Europe and Athletico Madrid played in their 2nd Champions League Final in 2/3 years. Can Man City match that? Spending money is not a recipe for success. Having a role to fill and filling it with the best man for the job is a recipe for success. 

So why don't you answer what @rynny and @Srg were after... who have we missed out on that's available? 

And are you still asking us to back a manager while criticising his transfer activity. And has the £25 - £30 million spent since the play off final improved Derby?

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Firstly I predicted 0-0 because I don't think anybody will won every game and Brighton are good, Derby are good, opening day pressure.... Nothing to do with a goal drought

Is it your fault Man United are spending £100m on a player? I'm gonna go with a 'no' on this? 

Yeah you do have to compete in football. It's not a game of who spends the most wins though. It's played on a pitch. Where one of the biggest spending clubs in this league last year finished 5th, one of the lowest spending in the PL won the league. One of the richest clubs in the world failed to qualify for Europe and Athletico Madrid played in their 2nd Champions League Final in 2/3 years. Can Man City match that? Spending money is not a recipe for success. Having a role to fill and filling it with the best man for the job is a recipe for success. 

So why don't you answer what @rynny and @Srg were after... who have we missed out on that's available? 

And are you still asking us to back a manager while criticising his transfer activity. And has the £25 - £30 million spent since the play off final improved Derby?

I feel your pain. 

Spending money hasn't proved successful for DCFC   .

Lets  hope DCFC hang on to Will Hughes because other teams might spend money on him soon if we fail to go up this season .

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I feel your pain. 

No pain dude. Just a bunch of people having a chat about a game. 

All have opinions. Don't all agree on what we want from our team. 

But it passes the time and we enjoy it. We enjoy moaning about it too. And moaning about moaning about it. And paying out our hard earned on it. And moaning about paying out for it.

Football is a religion. And religion is ******!! 

If Pearson can sign a pacey striker and a solid centre half  I will be happy. Brighton are short on decent defenders ,both Dunk and Stevens are within the last year of their contracts and could go, and Brighton start the season with several injured players, Newcastle are likely to lose players before the season starts, Norwich have lost Redmond who is better than McCormick, Wednesday have signed a player they already had plus Abdi from Watford, Villa have sold players without replacing them, We have players who are yet to be proven such as Blackman and Camara, and Hughes who was absent for most of last season.

Compared to last season it will be like having new signings in Hughes, Bryson, Bent, Weimann and Blackman. 

Five very good players at this level who due to various reasons didn't feature but who should make the core of last year's team stronger if they are used properly.

Camara might be good as well, haven't seen enough of him to know. Add them to the mix and we should be good for top 6. Top 2? Anyone's guess but you've got to try.

8 hours ago, toddy said:

Like many I have been watching the teams that i think will be in and around the top 6 bringing in new signings this summer.  

With the likes of Pritchard going to Brighton, McCormack going to Villa or Norwich, Newcastle buying players as though they are going out of fashion, even Leeds are getting players in. It does look like teams around us are becoming a bit more stronger.

We weren't good enough or had a big enough squad in depth last season. Yes, I know we have the dream team 2 in charge, but we still have the same players as last season.

I thought we would ship a few out and NP would bring in one or two new faces, but that is now looking unlikely, 

So are we being left behind?

Will we be good enough to compete for top 2?

I've always said we have the squad to win this league, problem is getting a manager to get them to play consistently ALL season, not for just a few games here and there.

I think Pearson will get this out of the players.

So i'm pleased we haven't signed anyone, shows that Nige has belief in what we have. 

If some don't cut it for him i'm sure he will have the funds to strengthen.

Bringing in one or two players can strengthen any team (if they fit in with your current system) this as we have seen in the past is not always the case.

Also, bring in too many like Newcastle can also be disruptive (weren't we guilty of this last year?

Keeping a cre squad who know each other, bonding that team and building team spirit (with a good squad like ours) can be priceless.

I am sure Pearson will identify any weak areas over the coming weeks and buy in IF necessary. 

I think Pride Park must have been built on an old pagan graveyard or something. We need to sort out these end of season collapses/crunch matches/last minute goal situations we limply succumb to, year in, year out.

We've been pretty tish since we left the Baseball Ground.

8 minutes ago, Muskination said:

I think Pride Park must have been built on an old pagan graveyard or something. We need to sort out these end of season collapses/crunch matches/last minute goal situations we limply succumb to, year in, year out.

We've been pretty tish since we left the Baseball Ground.

It's the pre-season collapses of the mentality of the fanbase that makes me doubt the sanity of some. Such predictable hand-wringing from the False Entitlement Brigade. If we lose on Saturday, razor blade sales will soar.

Think we will make a signing or two, but only once we have played a game or two and know what we need. We may need a a striker, but Bent may have revived himself. Equally may need a winger, but maybe existing resources are up to it. No idea.

Considering the squad we have I am glad we haven't made any big moves before a ball has been kicked, we chucked money into the wishing well last season with no idea what we were trying to achieve.

if we had got Pritchard at £5m and a big salary we would be done, with no idea if he actually resolves a problem.

I'm quite impressed that Pearson hasn't gone and started chucking money around or bringing in allies who have previously played for him (so far at least). I think it shows a strength of character and a good level of confidence to take the current squad and back yourself to do better than the previous manager. Even if it doesn't work out that way this season I still think a more measured approach where the manager takes time to properly assess the players he currently has is far more sensible than hurling more money at the problem, before even establishing what the problem is.

Archived