No new signings will we be able to compete?

toddy

Like many I have been watching the teams that i think will be in and around the top 6 bringing in new signings this summer.  

With the likes of Pritchard going to Brighton, McCormack going to Villa or Norwich, Newcastle buying players as though they are going out of fashion, even Leeds are getting players in. It does look like teams around us are becoming a bit more stronger.

We weren't good enough or had a big enough squad in depth last season. Yes, I know we have the dream team 2 in charge, but we still have the same players as last season.

I thought we would ship a few out and NP would bring in one or two new faces, but that is now looking unlikely, 

So are we being left behind?

Will we be good enough to compete for top 2?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will we be able to compete? 2 answers.

short answer - we will find out in May.

Answer B (more of an answer) yes, because when has the championship ever been as straight forward as the teams with most money and signing big names will guarantee league position? 

You can guarantee there will be at least team near the top this season who few people were talking about, and one of the big teams will flop and underachieve.

Focussing on us, this squad is good enough for top 6, which should be the aim. I'm not gonna say I'll be happy with a rebuilding year and mid table finish, cos I would be lying. I want top 6. I expect 8th as minimum at this moment in time. I will support Pearson and the team regardless, and my expectation comes from the quality we have in our squad and the fact that we have been a top 8 team for 3 seasons, and at least 1 of those was an underachievement.

People have more optimism than is justified with this group of players  

We failed in the playoffs last season and losing to Hull 3-0 at home was totally unacceptable. 

We will soon find out how good we are as we have difficult start to the campaign. 

Other teams have strengthened considerably. 

We also seem to self destruct after Xmas. 

12 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

No. Our rivals have strengthened while Mel and Sam have been happy to do nothing. It's going to be a long season, 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

People have more optimism than is justified with this group of players  

We failed in the playoffs last season and losing to Hull 3-0 at home was totally unacceptable. 

We will soon find out how good we are as we have difficult start to the campaign. 

Other teams have strengthened considerably. 

So who would you have brought in that has gone to our rivals? What teams that finished below us last season have over taken us with their signings?

I've think we've seen more than enough to know this team can "compete". Whether they can get over the line remains to be seen, but we haven't come far short 2 out of 3 seasons, so there's no reason to say we couldn't. 

Having shiny new toys is all fun and exciting, and can look great on paper but that's not where football is played. 

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

So who would you have brought in that has gone to our rivals? What teams that finished below us last season have over taken us with their signings?

Is not my job to know who to bring in that's the Manager and the Clubs job. 

They obviously have faith in these players . 

Lets see if it's justified. 

Last season we were Top at Xmas and missed out in the playoffs with this squad. 

Pearson and Powell may be the answer who knows but if you ask me this squad won't make Top 2  but we still have until the end of August for them to tweak the squad. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Is not my job to know who to bring in that's the Manager and the Clubs job. 

They obviously have faith in these players . 

Lets see if it's justified. 

So what players have other teams brought in that made you think wow that's a great signing I wish Derby had signed them? What players have other teams signed that have made them stronger than us?

1 minute ago, rynny said:

So what players have other teams brought in that made you think wow that's a great signing I wish Derby had signed them? What players have other teams signed that have made them stronger than us?

How can he answer that? He's not qualified apparently, but can still say we've done the wrong thing. 

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

McCormack is going to Norwich . 

Newcastle have signed a load of quality . 

Brighton are signing Pritchard .

Wolves will make signings. 

I know your totally confident mate so let's wait and see if your right. 

http://www.skysports.com/sheffield-wednesday-transfers

I'd back Darren Wassall and Paul Clement to get this Derby side into the play-offs, without question. 

As long as Nigel Pearson has more about him than the two above, which I'm sure he will have, then it shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure we will sign someone somewhere along the way. I expect us to be a flat track bully, of sorts. I expect us to pick up the wins that we just wouldn't have in the previous two years. On the other hand, I doubt we will see the type of football McClaren brought to the club. 

I think we'll be a lot more pragmatic, definitely more exciting and cutting with our attacking play, but not quite as easy on the eye. 

The only worry I do have is that the formation change isn't going to suit our players or style of play. I guess we will have to wait and see about that, though. 

Just now, curtains said:

McCormack is going to Norwich . 

Newcastle have signed a load of quality . 

Brighton are signing Pritchard .

Wolves will make signings. 

Mccormack is going to Villa isn't he? £12m for a soon to be 30 year old?

Who have Newcastle signed that are quality other than Ritchie?

Agreed about Pritchard but he hasn't agreed to go yet and he may wait for a prem team to come in for him.

Who are Wolves signing?

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Mccormack is going to Villa isn't he? £12m for a soon to be 30 year old?

Who have Newcastle signed that are quality other than Ritchie?

Agreed about Pritchard but he hasn't agreed to go yet and he may wait for a prem team to come in for him.

Who are Wolves signing?

Look yourself then lol  

http://www.skysports.com/football/team-transfers-championship

Archived