Early thoughts on Pearson's tenure

Rample

I know it's early days and this is by no means a he's out saviour/pants thread. I just wanted to put a few collected thoughts down.

Friendlies. Hopefully pre-season can start properly from this weekend but you have to say the Portugal trip was too much too soon in terms of opposition. I'm guessing the trip was about more than matches. A way to assess not only the ability of the squad but team unity etc. Definitely feel he will have learnt a lot though.

Squad. Obviously he's been told youth is a must and nice to see he's taken that seriously on the Portugal trip allowing a handful of youngsters a chance to impress. Overall it's good to see he is really looking at what we have before making any changes. Imagine he's not found any major causes for concern due to lack of movement. Not that there are really questions about depth or quality, just formations and suitable players.

Tactics. Early days but good to already see experimentation. An indication he isn't looking to impose a formation on us from the off. 3-5-2 shows he has looked at our full backs and seen a possibility there. Changing part way through a game shows we may for once have a plan b.

Ins/outs . For me he's taken an almost not signing/selling anyone until he wants to approach. If he wanted to cash in on 2 or 3 he has had the chance, likewise if he wanted to sign players we could have brought 3 or 4 in just from those we were linked with. I don't think we've missed out on anything worthwhile just as I doubt we've rejected bids we'll never see again. It backs up that he is putting everything else firmly in place first. 

So overall it's seemed a little quiet from over here but it looks like we're making good behind the scenes and Pearson is largely doing everything right.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to put my few bob in. He's the mothers second cousin and my Dad used to play football with him. He's a quite straight person and knows exactly what he wants. He doesn't take any ****.

I guess you'll know this any way by his interviews and by what others say. I'm just glad we have a manager with a voice and not a yes man.

8 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

He has the highest loss percentage of any Derby manager ever. I don't understand why he's still here? 

Sack him and bring in David Lowe. Best Derby manager in my lifetime.

My initial thoughts are that i like him, he appears to be a straight shooter, a determined and ambitious fellow who knows how to get the players focused on the job at hand.  Throwing them early up against a high class Benfica side was a clever play IMO and i'm thinking he was pleased they got trounced and so making them more receptive to the hard work ahead.  That exhibits a devious mind and understanding of psychology, i was well impressed with that.  He seems a fiery fellow, so having Chris Powell at his side, an amiable but determined guy with Derby blood running through him could be a really good combination.  As long as he doesn't strangle any more opposition players i am all for him.

I think he has taken his time. He is getting to understand the team and he will know how we play. He will be looking at how he can improve things and deciding if we need new players and where we need them. He hasn't walked into a club that needs 11 new players. He hasn't walked into a club that needs to sell to balance the books. 

Overall he has been pretty quiet and not made any big statements or signings and is still understanding what we are.

It's a lot better than signing players because he can. I trust him to move things forward. I'd even lend him a fiver if he asked. I think he's honest enough to pay me back.

1 hour ago, ramit said:

My initial thoughts are that i like him, he appears to be a straight shooter, a determined and ambitious fellow who knows how to get the players focused on the job at hand.  Throwing them early up against a high class Benfica side was a clever play IMO and i'm thinking he was pleased they got trounced and so making them more receptive to the hard work ahead.  That exhibits a devious mind and understanding of psychology, i was well impressed with that.  He seems a fiery fellow, so having Chris Powell at his side, an amiable but determined guy with Derby blood running through him could be a really good combination.  As long as he doesn't strangle any more opposition players i am all for him.

Depends on the player for me, Gunter or a forest player would be fine by me ?

9 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Well I think he's made pre season boring by not frittering away millions of Mels money. I wish he wasn't so proffesional and such an astute manager.

get the dream team back of Jewell and clement and just sign anyone with a pulse ?

Oh some of our latter signings have a pulse,cant say i had noticed.

Leicester fans did say he's not the money splashing type.. some seem to think it was him who chucked millions at it to get Leicester up, but most of the spending was done on Sven and Sousas watch, it was Pearson who had to sort the mess out when he returned. 

Which is why we need to give him time here, there's a fair few players that need to be moved on, I don't see any 6m pound players arriving tbh, might get 1 or 2 loans but can't see any big money signings. 

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Couple things I've liked so far:

1) Signing Powell

2) Long rest. We've had some mentally tough and frustrating seasons behind so makes sense.

3) He hasn't choked anyone yet.

That's three ..

4 hours ago, ramit said:

Yes yes yes. 

But would he know the right cutlery to use for roast puffin or braised seal flipper?

No? Well I rest my case :thumbsup:

Archived