Benfica vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

13 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Totally agree. When I was a teacher, the pupils used to tell me that the exams were easier than the tests that I gave them. Pearson is about to increase the work rate of our players.

News Flash - ramit  (aka ramit ramitsson) joins Pearson's team in the role of drum beater for the Icelandic clapping thingy as Pearson increases our work ethic and effort..

ramit...what a drummer!

Get on the podcast already!?

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

4 nil? What a joke. These are the sort of teams we need to beating if we wanna get promoted. Nigel out. Bring back nigel.

I'm saying nothing as to our future chances, but 4-0 flattered us, Benfica sharper in every way.

7 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We need a proper Icelander dude. Sam Rush - make it so.

We never joke about the Icelandic clapping thingy, ramit.

Alright alright, ramit will doit, anything for my beloved Derby

Just now, reveldevil said:

I'm saying nothing as to our future chances, but 4-0 flattered us, Benfica sharper in every way.

To give Derby the benefit of doubt, it was our first game of pre season. Do we know how many games Benfica have played so far? I'd take a guess it isn't their first game.

4 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

No. Just highlighting if we were smarter with our spending last season we'd have less to fix this summer. Expected us to be less lethargic given the clubs overemphasis on how fit the the players are after the break. Clearly not that much. 

Think pretty much everyone knows that we didn't spend wisely last year.

There is general fitness and match fitness. Unfortunately you can only get proper match fitness from playing matches where you aren't holding back against your team mates.

The main thing I took from that is...TFFT, the football's back. It's felt like a long summer and the kids haven't even broken up yet.

And however poor Derby County might have been tonight, they are still about a thousand times better than the Labour Party about now...and Derby County will get better.

Ajax lost 4-3 to some unknown 2nd division Austrian side last week, have been completely outplayed for an hour... so don't go overboard over this result. Newcastle lost 6-1 to an MLS side the last time they were down in the championship?? before strolling it during the season. 

Its our first game and it takes time to build match sharpness, you can't just turn it on like a tap.. Nadal after coming back from injury lost to some 200th ranked player on clay.. 18 months later he's won 3 majors in a row... 

8 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

To give Derby the benefit of doubt, it was our first game of pre season. Do we know how many games Benfica have played so far? I'd take a guess it isn't their first game.

Think they're at the same stage of pre-season as us, while waiting for their internationals to rejoin training.

They're very good mind, while we're nowhere near their level.

They're a champions league outfit with budding superstars like zivkovic. Wow. They move the ball with attacking purpose and have creative flair on the ball. It was never going to be a contest . We had one player who could make their team - Will Hughes. He was class out there in his composure and his creativity but had little in terms of players that could work with him.  When measured against a Benfica our players don't stand up to the test and some - we saw who they were - are not even championship level. We would have held up better with our regular back line and Thorne were he recovered. 

10 minutes ago, Ninos said:

They're a champions league outfit with budding superstars like zivkovic. Wow. They move the ball with attacking purpose and have creative flair on the ball. It was never going to be a contest . We had one player who could make their team - Will Hughes. He was class out there in his composure and his creativity but had little in terms of players that could work with him.  When measured against a Benfica our players don't stand up to the test and some - we saw who they were - are not even championship level. We would have held up better with our regular back line and Thorne were he recovered. 

That's because our best midfield comprises of Hughes, Hendrick and Thorne.

Rubbish, Derby.

You were only playing a side who haven't finished below second place in the Portuguese leaue once in the last seven years, won eight domestic cup competitions over the same seven years, and in the same period been quarter-finalists in the Champions League twice and runners up in the Europa League twice.

We should be burying tripe like that.

I'm amazed at the reaction from some Derby fans on other forums, one bloke even going as far to say Pearson looked clueless..... :lol:

ffs man calm down its a pre season friendly match against the champions of a major footballing national league, we're unfit and trying out new tactics and formations. 

Got to love and feel sorry for some of these people tbh.. If that's the majority of Derby fans in the stadium at the start of the season I'm expecting Pearson to shout something at them no doubt about it, because their just clowns ffs. 

Archived