Benfica vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

For those who didn't twig the matchthreads are all in Rams Talk for the new season. And we need another one sharpish! Here's some buildup talk about tomorrow's game with Benfica, taken from the DET: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/8203-derby-county-s-craig-forsyth-in-line-for-comeback-against-benfica/story-29517789-detail/story.html

"We are going to give almost all of the players 45 minutes," said Pearson.

"We have got some under-21 players topping us up because we are still short of some players from the squad and we also have to manage the players who are not quite ready to play as long.

"Forty five minutes each is the ideal scenario in a game like this. These games are still very much training sessions, it is not a case of preparing for a game in the way we would during the season.

The players who will not be involved against Benfica are Richard Keogh, Jeff Hendrick, Cyrus Christie, Chris Baird, George Thorne, Jamie Hanson, Mason Bennett and Abdoul Camara.

Keogh, Hendrick, Christie and Baird return to training next week after being on international duty at the European Championships in France.

Thorne (broken leg) and Hanson (shoulder) continue their rehabilitation from injury. Camara has a groin strain and Bennett is recovering from a thigh injury.

Benfica kicked off the Algarve Cup tournament with a goalless draw against another Portuguese side, Vitoria Setubal. The game went to penalties and ended 3-3 after five spot kicks each.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I read Pearson's quote as "we're going to try and give all 45 players minutes" which led me to try and picture a game in which 1,980 players all played 1 minute of football each. I would absolutely watch that.

Oh yeah,  1-1 for the benfica game. Bent.

59 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

For some reason I read Pearson's quote as "we're going to try and give all 45 players minutes" which led me to try and picture a game in which 1,980 players all played 1 minute of football each. I would absolutely watch that.

Oh yeah,  1-1 for the benfica game. Bent.

Don't think you've accounted for the 30 seconds refs add on for substitutions. We can get loads more on in time added on. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not a stream but a video of the last time we played Benfica (at home - drew the away leg 0-0).

If only we were so lethal with corners nowadays!

For a moment i thought where are they playing the BBG only had grass on the first game of the season.

Archived