Benfica vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 22:37, lioncoeur said:

To me it looked like most of the Derby players were playing for the first time together in the same team. A quite uninspiring and weak performance. :(

They were.

Two different teams in two halves. Both full of youngsters and reserve players. All of which are playing their first game in almost 3 months. I doubt these two combinations HAVE EVER played together as teams.

Stop panicking all!!!! Benfica are a great side. You can only judge when the season starts.

Pre season friendlies are just that. There to try out new things and build up fitness.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the season Newcastle won the Championship, they lost 6-0 in their preseason opener.

I've seen us have brilliant pre-seasons, I've seen us having shockers... both had literally no bearing on the season in the slightest. If you react in any way other than "ah well, shame we couldn't have won but nevermind" then...

085fc19d7a0673262e0a0c7c7064d822.jpg

1 minute ago, Srg said:

In the season Newcastle won the Championship, they lost 6-0 in their preseason opener.

I've seen us have brilliant pre-seasons, I've seen us having shockers... both had literally no bearing on the season in the slightest. If you react in any way other than "ah well, shame we couldn't have won but nevermind" then...

085fc19d7a0673262e0a0c7c7064d822.jpg

Newcastle lost that game against an MLS team too, not a quality european team like benfica

I've just watched the highlights of the Benficia game. That really was a wake up call to Mr Pearson, 4-0 totally flattered us. Ok pre-season or not, we were played off the park with all the Derby players wandering around like lost sheep. Ok Benficia look an excellent side but that performance wasn't acceptable. It looked like the Hull home play off game all over again except to a very much classier team.

Hopefully things can only improve when the real business starts, because if we play anything like that I don't give much to our chances of anything positive from our three extremely important home games against the likes of Brighton, Villa, & Newcastle.

Lots of work to be done by our new Manager, hopefully he will be given time as I worry it could take sometime to sort.

3 minutes ago, TETRA said:

I've just watched the highlights of the Benficia game. That really was a wake up call to Mr Pearson, 4-0 totally flattered us. Ok pre-season or not, we were played off the park with all the Derby players wandering around like lost sheep. Ok Benficia look an excellent side but that performance wasn't acceptable. It looked like the Hull home play off game all over again except to a very much classier team.

Hopefully things can only improve when the real business starts, because if we play anything like that I don't give much to our chances of anything positive from our three extremely important home games against the likes of Brighton, Villa, & Newcastle.

Lots of work to be done by our new Manager, hopefully he will be given time as I worry it could take sometime to sort.

I take your points, I consider them, and then I redirect you to the post directly before yours as a response.

28 minutes ago, rynny said:

29 minutes ago, rynny said:

That makes it even worse! I must be thinking of another team then because I remember how supporters of a premier league team were calling MLS a pub league before the game and then they got battered. 

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I take your points, I consider them, and then I redirect you to the post directly before yours as a response.

Ok I take your point, let's just hope for all our sakes that was just a one off. But what really worries me is that we seem to lack strong leaders on the pitch, plus the fact that they for some very strange reason don't look a United unit. But as you say very early days from a team that's been playing together one way or the other for some time now.

Just got back from Portugal, what a great time, meeting loads of brilliant Rams fans, many of whom read this forum without having a login, more than I'd imagined. I tend to think of posts being read by fellow posters when it's many times more than that.

I can't believe the reaction to losing away to a team that must be in the top 20 in Europe, maybe the top 12 or 15. Bearing in mind we had playing returning from long term injuries in Russell and Lowe, Lowe, Elsnik, Santos and Cover making their first starts* and we were missing Keogh, Shackell, Christie, Thorne, Baird, Camara and Hendrick as well as trying a new formation. 

Some people need to lay off the mardy juice and have a pint of perspective instead. 

On 17/07/2016 at 17:03, B4ev6is said:

But also players jobs to work on things when not on the training ground perhaps they need to work

On ball control and foot work even

In there own back garden.

Most of them can't even be arsed to do this when warming up at half time so I doubt they do it in their back garden

5 hours ago, TETRA said:

Ok I take your point, let's just hope for all our sakes that was just a one off. But what really worries me is that we seem to lack strong leaders on the pitch, plus the fact that they for some very strange reason don't look a United unit. But as you say very early days from a team that's been playing together one way or the other for some time now.

Well it's not going to be a 'one off' is it? There'll be other poor performances, even in games that actually matter. I think you've peaked too early Tetra ? 

On 17/07/2016 at 17:03, B4ev6is said:

But also players jobs to work on things when not on the training ground perhaps they need to work

On ball control and foot work even

In there own back garden.

Did Connor sammon live in a flat? That must be been the problem

Archived