Recruitment

CastletonRam

3 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

I had this exact argument with a mate the other day. His point was that Martin was a free transfer signing who couldn't get in the Swindon Town team, that most of his Derby goals are 'lucky tap ins' and that he gets assists as 'he's the only striker that plays'.

As you say, Chris Martin has directly provided over 75 league goals for Derby in 3 seasons. Circa 60 goals and at least 15 assists. Derby have scored 235 league goals over the last 3 seasons. Therefore, Martin is responsible for a third of all goals.

Rhodes and McCormack have very similar ratios, and are rated at circa £15m each. Rhodes is 26, Martin 27 and McCormack 29 (30 in next month).

This surely puts Martin in the £15m price bracket. If people are willing to offer that for incoming players, surely it has to be a similar price if we sold.

Don't want to get rid of Martin myself. Rather we signed another striker and play them in a front two. Scores goals as a lone striker but teams can isolate him with the right tactics. Been found out too often last season, had a big dry spell between November and Feb. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin around a pacy quality striker could be a force to be reckoned with in this league. Having another goalscorer who can score 20-25 goals in this league would take the pressure of Martin and leave him less isolated. That's presuming we are changing the formation this season, which I suspect we are.

8 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Last two teams to win Champ titles both had pacy forwards who gave defenders a headache. Bournemouth with Wilson and Burnely with Gray, need that type if we want autos. 

There is no magic formula to winning the Championship. 

We shouldn't have a pacey striker just because it works for other teams, we should have whatever type of striker and whatever number of strikers on the pitch which is of the benefit to the team. 

10 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Last two teams to win Champ titles both had pacy forwards who gave defenders a headache. Bournemouth with Wilson and Burnely with Gray, need that type if we want autos. 

There's no secret ingredient to getting promotion. I'm sure there's plenty of teams that have won promotion with fat strikers, small strikers, tall strikers.. etc

Even strikers that don't score. 

We've had pace up front over recent years. But this isn't racing and they were all crap. 

Sammon physically should be a beast. Rapid, tall, strong, awesome stamina. 

Out of all that pace we has with Sunu, Robinson, Moore, Sammon, Tyson, Bennett etc etc the best of the lot was fat slow Kuqi. Who was the best footballer. 

Martin has scored about 60 Champ goals in 3 seasons. 60! I don't think pace up front has been a problem for us. 

Injuries, crap slow Football, bad luck, off pitch distractions, poor defending, poor goalkeeping. All have shown their ugly face a bit too much during the last 3 seasons. 

55 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

We had Theo Robinson and Nathan Tyson as strikers a few seasons ago, why didn't we get promoted then? They are pacey strikers right? What about Conor Sammon? He was a pacey striker too. ?

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

We had Theo Robinson and Nathan Tyson as strikers a few seasons ago, why didn't we get promoted then? They are pacey strikers right? What about Conor Sammon? He was a pacey striker too. ?

You missed out 'Who gave defenders a headache'. Neither of them did that. 

The reason why I'd prefer a striker with pace and quality to partner Martin is because teams wouldn't be able to play high line. Having a striker with PACE + QUALITY I must stress would make opposition teams think twice knowing they might be vulnerable in behind whereas if we had another slow striker alongside Martin the opposition could play a high line which would completely nulify both strikers. Rosler was the expert at this because it's no coincidence that Martin was pretty quiet against Rosler teams, as he played a high line knowing Martin wouldn't run in behind the defence. Rio Ferdinand referred to this the other day when talking about Giroud, that he loved playing against him 1v1 because Giroud wouldn't outsprint him or match him physically which would enable him to pressure high up whereas having a quick,nippy strike partner would make him think twice before pushing up. Giroud looks a lot better with Griezmann playing next to him. 

5 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

The lack of movement does bring up the question on whether or not NP is involved with signings.

This time yesterday I would have said I was 100% confident he had alot of say in transfers.

However with the O'Dowda thing creeping back up again it questions this theory.

O'Dowda looks a good young youth player but surely doesn't improve our current team or even the U-21's.

We need a striker and that is apparent, we cannot go into this season without investing in a mobile striker. 

People argue that Weimann can play that role, I agree with this. But would he prolific? I don't think so. 

I do not have any confidence in the current recruitment team. 

Another crock of sh1te post.

Do you even read the crap you type?

Let's have a look line by line.

You say the lack of movement brings up the question whether NP is involved or not? How does it? You have no evidence or even a line of reasoning. 

Then you say yesterday you were 100% confident he was. Has there been any additional lack of movement in the last 24 hours?

Then you suggest a rumour in the paper means NP hasn't an input in transfers, a rumour!!, not an actual fact or transaction, a rumour!!

Then we cannot go into this season without investing in a mobile striker. Why can't we? Where is the evidence or line of reasoning. Opinion isn't fact, especially your opinion.

Your next line changes direction 4 times and ignores Bent and Blackman. There isn't a massive groundswell of opinion to support your Weimann claims. Then you say he could play that role, but maybe not prolifically. Not cast iron evidence that we 'cannot go into this season...'

Then you say you have no confidence in the current recruitment team after earlier admitting you don't know who is in that team and based on one transaction, the sale of shotton. Pearson has said he wants to look at everyone pre-season, so a lack of movement isn't massively surprising nor is it a sign he has no influence on recruitment.

27 minutes ago, sage said:

Another crock of sh1te post.

Do you even read the crap you type?

Let's have a look line by line.

You say the lack of movement brings up the question whether NP is involved or not? How does it? You have no evidence or even a line of reasoning. 

Then you say yesterday you were 100% confident he was. Has there been any additional lack of movement in the last 24 hours?

Then you suggest a rumour in the paper means NP hasn't an input in transfers, a rumour!!, not an actual fact or transaction, a rumour!!

Then we cannot go into this season without investing in a mobile striker. Why can't we? Where is the evidence or line of reasoning. Opinion isn't fact, especially your opinion.

Your next line changes direction 4 times and ignores Bent and Blackman. There isn't a massive groundswell of opinion to support your Weimann claims. Then you say he could play that role, but maybe not prolifically. Not cast iron evidence that we 'cannot go into this season...'

Then you say you have no confidence in the current recruitment team after earlier admitting you don't know who is in that team and based on one transaction, the sale of shotton. Pearson has said he wants to look at everyone pre-season, so a lack of movement isn't massively surprising nor is it a sign he has no influence on recruitment.

Excellent post Sage. ??????

To be fair the lack of transfer activity doesnt concern me for two reasons

1-we probably only need one or two additions

2- if pearson can get the best out of this squad (second leg against hull) week in week out then we already have enough talent to get out of this division. Clement never really got the best out of this bunch and we showed some decent stuff in patches under wassall. We now have a proper manager and a decent coaching team we'll walk it if we get maximimum out of this squad on a weekly basis. 

Each one of our first team players is arguably the best in their position in this division. Not many keepers better than carson, not many CB's better than shack & keogh and so on for every position. 

4 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

2- if pearson can get the best out of this squad (second leg against hull) week in week out then we already have enough talent to get out of this division. Clement never really got the best out of this bunch and we showed some decent stuff in patches under wassall. We now have a proper manager and a decent coaching team we'll walk it if we get maximimum out of this squad on a weekly basis. 

Each one of our first team players is arguably the best in their position in this division. Not many keepers better than carson, not many CB's better than shack & keogh and so on for every position. 

Agreed but there were Four teams better than us though, G-ram

10 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Great joke. 

Archived