Recruitment

CastletonRam

There's been so much talk about new players, selling players and new formations.

Wiemann, Blackman, Albentosa & Camara are players in all honesty we really haven't either had long enough to judge or seen in their preferred starting position. 

Same can be said for a few others. Ince, Johnson, Butterfield, Hendrick (here for his inconsistancy) etc

On a personal note the only area i believe we need a new face is up front. To get out of this league you need a pacey strong striker....although we may have a balance with what we have now.

Pearson may be loving the fact he has chance to work with this team. There will no doubt be a surprise or two but we really need to be patient and bloody realistic. 

We really need a consistent team building. I am sure Pearson is the right man to do this....it just depends on whether the current squad can do what he asks. He wont find that out till the next transfer window in Jan.

The only way i see any movement is if we get good offers for either Hughes or Hendrick

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ElBeef said:

Wiemann, Blackman, Albentosa & Camara are players in all honesty we really haven't either had long enough to judge or seen in their preferred starting position. 

That's still the fault of recruitment. That's nearly £10m worth of player we've signed in those four alone, and yet we've only thought about their place in the team after we've signed them.

Shouldn't be putting square pegs in round holes with the money we have. Identify a position that needs filling, and fill it with a player who can play there.

Really shouldn't be rocket science, but it's apparently an impossible ask for the recruitment team - last season at least.

I dont see why people are getting tetchy about us not signing anyone. Most people ageeed last year was a gung how now we have look what we really have available to us and what little bit extra we need to improve this very capabale squad.

There is still a month and half to go until the windoe shuts and I would be worried if Pearson had bought any players in without looking at his squad first. I am more than happy to wait I am sure de laet and Wells will be along soon ;).

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

The lack of movement does bring up the question on whether or not NP is involved with signings.

This time yesterday I would have said I was 100% confident he had alot of say in transfers.

However with the O'Dowda thing creeping back up again it questions this theory.

O'Dowda looks a good young youth player but surely doesn't improve our current team or even the U-21's.

We need a striker and that is apparent, we cannot go into this season without investing in a mobile striker. 

People argue that Weimann can play that role, I agree with this. But would he prolific? I don't think so. 

I do not have any confidence in the current recruitment team. 

In your opinion. 

Have a look at the teams that have won promotion the last couple of seasons. Then single out the ones that bought a large number of players the summer before. The list won't be that big.

Sure, a lot of different teams have gone up, with different philosophies. Yet alot of them have at least had consistency with their squad, a group of players who knew each others games and the way the team played. You could argue that our players may need to adjust to a new system if Pearson brings one, thats ok. Adding a bunch of new players will just add to that adjustment though.

Quantity over quality. I would like what many other sensible heads are saying. A couple of signings, very good at their positions that can come in and challenge for a starting XI spot, along with maybe a few U21's that can do likewise in that squad, and moving on a few of the players on the periphery that want to go.

To the OP, we weren't in the market for any of Newcastle's signings, so why does it matter that they've signed them...?

1 hour ago, CastletonRam said:

We scored 19 less 2015/16 season than we did in 2014/15. Of course another striker is a priority. 

Maybe that's because of the way the team was set up under Clement.

We scored more goals per game under Wassall than Clement and we didn't even click under Wassall until about eight games into his spell.

2 hours ago, Derbyram1983 said:

As it stands we have bent, Blackman, Weiman and Martin as strikers. How could any team justify signing another? One or two would have to go first. I don't rate the rest other than Martin but we can't keep adding 

Yep I agree with that but in addition there has to be a route for the young ones who can prove if they are good enough or not

2 hours ago, CastletonRam said:

We scored 19 less 2015/16 season than we did in 2014/15. Of course another striker is a priority. 

To be fair I don't believe we were allowed to attack to any great extent under clement which would have had an effect on our goal scoring 

56 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

To be fair I don't believe we were allowed to attack to any great extent under clement which would have had an effect on our goal scoring 

Clement's idea of 'going for it' was to push the full-back's further up the pitch and to put Christie on for Baird!

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Upgrade on Martin and get a right back (cover or improvement) I wouldn't see the need to sign anyone else unless we got a few substantial outs.

Going to be hard to upgrade a guy who's not only a playmaker but has scored about 60 goals in 3 seasons including a fairly lengthy spell out injured in 2015

So much tripe in one thread. I guess the new FIFA game must be out, given the number of wannabe managers posting.

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

So much tripe in one thread. I guess the new FIFA game must be out, given the number of wannabe managers posting.

No need for this comment. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. No-ones opinion is more valid than another on here. I disagree with some people's views in this topic but I'll respect them. The only opinions that really matter are Pearson's and the Derby board at the end of the day.

4 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

The players that would have been perfect were

Jordan Ibe - Matty Phillips - Another Striker. 

So you would be prepared to fork out more than 15m on Jordon Ibe?

Oh dear.

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Going to be hard to upgrade a guy who's not only a playmaker but has scored about 60 goals in 3 seasons including a fairly lengthy spell out injured in 2015

I had this exact argument with a mate the other day. His point was that Martin was a free transfer signing who couldn't get in the Swindon Town team, that most of his Derby goals are 'lucky tap ins' and that he gets assists as 'he's the only striker that plays'.

As you say, Chris Martin has directly provided over 75 league goals for Derby in 3 seasons. Circa 60 goals and at least 15 assists. Derby have scored 235 league goals over the last 3 seasons. Therefore, Martin is responsible for a third of all goals.

Rhodes and McCormack have very similar ratios, and are rated at circa £15m each. Rhodes is 26, Martin 27 and McCormack 29 (30 in next month).

This surely puts Martin in the £15m price bracket. If people are willing to offer that for incoming players, surely it has to be a similar price if we sold.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

No need for this comment. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. No-ones opinion is more valid than another on here. I disagree with some people's views in this topic but I'll respect them. The only opinions that really matter are Pearson's and the Derby board at the end of the day.

Respect people who would be prepared to pay 15m on Ibe? Are you insane? Oh wait, we know the answer to that.

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

Respect people who would be prepared to pay 15m on Ibe? Are you insane? Oh wait, we know the answer to that.

Seriously why can't you just learn to respect people? I'm sure you're a nice guy outside the world of the internet but you come across as really vicious to anyone who disagrees with you. He didn't say that he would have liked us to spend 15 million on Ibe, he said in an ideal world he would have liked Ibe to return as would the majority of us, I don't think you can dispute that. There are other ways around transfers. I'm not saying there was a chance of us getting Ibe, in fact the chance of us getting him was 1% if that but there are always ways around potential transfers, e.g. loan with a  clause to buy him if we get promoted. Transfers aren't always black and white

Archived