Recruitment

CastletonRam

Newcastle have signed already signed Richie, Gayle and now Gamez from Atletico. Conversely we've been very quiet on the transfer front, both with incomings and outgoings. The squad is still far too big and needs aggressive pruning. I fear that nobody wants our players, (Albentosa's move fell though yesterday). 

I'm glad we're not gung-ho and signing personal for the sake of it like last summer but no movement whatsoever this time around is equally frustrating. Either recruitment is biding their time and thinking about things, or they've run out of ideas. The O'Dowda link tells me we're just going over old ground. 

Hope to see some movement soon. Or we risk getting left behind while our rivals sail past the horizon. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lack of movement does bring up the question on whether or not NP is involved with signings.

This time yesterday I would have said I was 100% confident he had alot of say in transfers.

However with the O'Dowda thing creeping back up again it questions this theory.

O'Dowda looks a good young youth player but surely doesn't improve our current team or even the U-21's.

We need a striker and that is apparent, we cannot go into this season without investing in a mobile striker. 

People argue that Weimann can play that role, I agree with this. But would he prolific? I don't think so. 

I do not have any confidence in the current recruitment team. 

Or the business is being conducted behind closed doors and we will know once a player is signed? (Apart from SDSR LOL)

I'm not worried in the slightest about other clubs signing players. We will have targets, don't worry about that, and some of them we will sign before the season starts.

Sit back, enjoy the summer and don't get worked up about it.

2 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

The lack of movement does bring up the question on whether or not NP is involved with signings.

This time yesterday I would have said I was 100% confident he had alot of say in transfers.

O'Dowda looks a good young youth player but surely doesn't improve our current team or even the U-21's.

We need a striker and that is apparent, we cannot go into this season without investing in a mobile striker. 

People argue that Weimann can play that role, I agree with this. But would he prolific? I don't think so. 

Absolutely improves our U21s. 100%. Would also get opportunity to win places in matchday squad, as would our other top tier youths.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Absolutely improves our U21s. 100%. Would also get opportunity to win places in matchday squad, as would our other top tier youths.

Would you push Mason Bennett out of the team to make way for him?

3 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Think Pearson will let the team get a few games under their belt until he does something. I'm more than happy not signing anyone until we've off loaded and he's had plenty of time to assess the squad. 

He's already a month to watch footage from last season and realise what went wrong. We all know it as well. 

7 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

If anything the lack of movement would suggest NP has a great deal of involvement with signings. If we had signed a load of players before he had even had a look at the squad that would tell me he had no control over it.

Our squad is large and plenty good enough for top 6. We don't need a raft of signings, we need deadwood out (Shotton, Baird, Albentosa...) and then if the right player comes along with the right quality we add one or two better than what we've got. Pearson needs time to assess that.

If we go into the season without a single signing I won't be disheartened. 

I don't see what the panic is, we've only been back a matter of days.  He can take as long as he needs to assess the squad for me, in fact his record suggests he will still be finalising it up until the window closes.  Bear in mind Benitez had the tail end of last season to assess Newcastle's squad so can move that bit quicker. 

It's not just as simple as a quick training session and deciding they're good/they're bad. Once he's assessed the players he needs to work out whether to fit a formation to them or them to a formation, and only then, which may be in several weeks after the Portugal trip and a few friendlies, can he decide how he needs to boost that and subsequently who is surplus to requirements.

I don't see us missing out on anybody amazing so far, and on the flip side I'm also glad we're not just selling off our assets for a total squad change.  We all need to be patient with this appointment, possibly a lot longer than just pre-season.  

7 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Why is it apparent? We are fine at scoring goals.

Not worried in the slightest. Start the season tomorrow as we are for me. 

It's not often a manager can walk into a Championship team with the squad we have available to them. 

Probably licking his lips right now thinking of all the options he has, some of which are not even back from training yet.

I would be disappointed if we start signing players before we come back from Portugal. 

Newcastle have had Benitez in since the back end of last season so he's had plenty of time to evaluate their squad and decide what needs changing. Add to that the fact they're in a completely different league so they're likely to have plenty of last season's first team players leave so it's no surprise they're signing players before we are. Pearson has had 5 days to watch the players train. Do you want us to just sign players for the sake of it before the manager has even had chance to work out what areas need improvement? As we saw last season, that's not the smartest thing to do as we can sign players who just don't fit our system, or we can overpay for players because we rush things.

And as for players leaving, Warnock, Sammon and Shotton's departures probably freed up 50k a weeks wages. Albentosa's move fell through but there's still numerous Spanish clubs interested in him so he'll likely be gone. Buxton has been linked with a move away but according to Nixon 'wants to fight for his place,' and there's been plenty of interest in Hendrick and Hughes. 

2 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

We scored 19 less 2015/16 season than we did in 2014/15. Of course another striker is a priority. 

With over half a season passing it round aimlessly under Clement.

Archived