Jeff Hendrick - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The proof will be in the pudding.

I just can't grasp the concept that a player that commonly goes missing in a side that usually dominates possession in the Championship, playing against a much weaker level of footballer, will suddenly become a star in a side that will struggle to obtain possession against much better opposition. I'd even argue that his fancy flicks will be an even bigger frustration than they currently are. 

He's going to have to learn to play in a two man midfield, too, and I don't see that working in his favour. 

He's going to be brought in to be their creative presence in the middle of the park, perhaps even the goalscorer from midfield. I'd be beyond surprised to see him contribute even 10 goals - scored or assisted - this season. In fact, I'd have been surprised if he had done that for us at our level - he managed 5 (two goals, three assists) in 33 games last season. 

Every word of this! 

10m for a player that is a debatable starting XI player for us in a lower league is an absolute pants down job. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Every word of this! 

10m for a player that is a debatable starting XI player for us in a lower league is an absolute pants down job. 

but but but but................he had a good euros.............

I wish him well, we got a very good price for him and hope he does find some consistency. 

In other news, have the details of the memorial service for the outgoing pounds been confirmed yet? "we are gathered here to day to remember the pounds, shillings and pence which have departed the coffers for a better life in Derbyshire. We will sing hymns of begrudging, share stories of how small and poor Burnley FC is, but now, to read the first grievance, Burnley manager and "Ginger Mourinho", Sean Dyche."

PistoldPete2

However good business this may seem ( and it seems like less good business in the context of the kodjia and Burke transfer fees for example) selling a player on transfer deadline day for a big fee is a big risk. What do you do with the money ? A side bidding for promotion is weakening its squad with no immediate prospect of strngthening it elsewhere. If we sign someone else today then fine it may make sense. Otherwise we will have to accept that the club is not planning or expecting us to get promoted this year... Maybe another three year plan?

I hear from a Burnley supporter mate they were after either Jeff Hendrick or Dale Stephens at Brighton. They made a fifth bid for Stephens yesterday morning of in excess of £7 Million after a fourth bid on Monday. Brighton not only rejected it again outright, but Burnley were told in no uncertain terms don't come back again before the deadline closes with any other offers for Stephens because he's just not for sale. Interesting, as I'm led to believe Stephens is out of contract next June.

26 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

However good business this may seem ( and it seems like less good business in the context of the kodjia and Burke transfer fees for example) selling a player on transfer deadline day for a big fee is a big risk. What do you do with the money ? A side bidding for promotion is weakening its squad with no immediate prospect of strngthening it elsewhere. If we sign someone else today then fine it may make sense. Otherwise we will have to accept that the club is not planning or expecting us to get promoted this year... Maybe another three year plan?

True, but you could argue that..

A. If he's playing roughly a 442 system we have enough CM players in Bryson,Hughes,Butters,Johnson,Thorne, They all can't play.

B. We don't know whats going to happen today, we may have 1 or 2 players coming in, just because we don't hear about them doesn't mean we're not in for anyone.

That's what I think any road :p

He's still only 24, best years ahead of him. Derby have developed him, put up with inconsistent Jeff, now he'll leave and do well in the prem. He won't become any more than a mid table premier league player but that's way ahead of where we are right now.

Convinced this was going to be his season, and of all our midfielders he's actually the best suited to a 4-4-2! It's therefore a strange move from Derby unless someone is coming in. Butterfield Johnson are just not up to it, Bryson and Hughes are lightweight. If we don't sort out midfield, a CDM or a direct Jeff replacement (Mutch for example), we've just weakened our squad on deadline day when our rivals have strengthened theirs.

£10m is only good business if we sign suitable replacements.

22 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He's still only 24, best years ahead of him. Derby have developed him, put up with inconsistent Jeff, now he'll leave and do well in the prem. He won't become any more than a mid table premier league player but that's way ahead of where we are right now.

Convinced this was going to be his season, and of all our midfielders he's actually the best suited to a 4-4-2! It's therefore a strange move from Derby unless someone is coming in. Butterfield Johnson are just not up to it, Bryson and Hughes are lightweight. If we don't sort out midfield, a CDM or a direct Jeff replacement (Mutch for example), we've just weakened our squad on deadline day when our rivals have strengthened theirs.

£10m is only good business if we sign suitable replacements.

If NP can get Johnson's confidence back, him & hughes as a midfield 2 would be brilliant.

Getting his confidence back though is another thing, especially when our collection of knuckle draggers cheer his substitutions!!.

My the Burnley forum is a cocky one, rapidly disliking Burnley as a team, they think we have to sell and are now Panicking to sell Jeff , don't know whey he wouldn't want to play for a prem team. Also say £10m+ as well as add ons 

not sure what he will think when he turns up at the training ground, might think he has turned up at the u11s

9 hours ago, eddie said:

What I mean is that if you have a meltdown (I think that was the word) over a club's transfer success or failure, then really you don't have two neurons to rub together in order to make a synapse.

Synapses are not made up of neurons. 

On thread, is there not a strong likelihood Jeff might wind up in prison? His case was transferred from their equivalents of magistrates to crown courts. This might well preface a custodial sentence.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I just can't grasp the concept that a player that commonly goes missing in a side that usually dominates possession in the Championship, playing against a much weaker level of footballer, will suddenly become a star in a side that will struggle to obtain possession against much better opposition. I'd even argue that his fancy flicks will be an even bigger frustration than they currently are. 

He's going to have to learn to play in a two man midfield, too, and I don't see that working in his favour. 

He's going to be brought in to be their creative presence in the middle of the park, perhaps even the goalscorer from midfield. I'd be beyond surprised to see him contribute even 10 goals - scored or assisted - this season. In fact, I'd have been surprised if he had done that for us at our level - he managed 5 (two goals, three assists) in 33 games last season. 

I think we know he has the ability to make things happen. Albeit not as consistently as we'd like. 

The difference between the prem and the championship is apparently time on the ball. There has always been this opinion that skilful players flourish in the Orem rather than the championship because they get longer on the ball without being hounded off it. 

Things work very slowly over there..... or the Courts are very full. Hearing not now until NEXT summer so they will get a clear season out of him !!

He performs well for Keane so should do well for Dyche . All the best Jeff and thanks for the money.........

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Most top players shine when they play with better players. He has serious skill but doesn't use it much with us.

If there's a common depressing theme for us in the past few years it's not so much the fact that we haven't been promoted it's the fact that managers have been unable to make players like Hendrick shine game in game out. We have failed epically to bring the best out of our better players over and over. Hendrick is the most perfect example. He will shine both in his creativity and his ability to score key goals in the PL. Dyche knows all this and knows he can bring the best out of him. And he will. 

Hendrick was started ahead of Hughes this season by Pearson. Got injured at Barnsley early. Then Hughes,Bryson and Butterfield have been woeful. Hendrick is about fit then we sell him. Have fans not watched how poor we have been? I hope he fails his medical.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

True, but you could argue that..

A. If he's playing roughly a 442 system we have enough CM players in Bryson,Hughes,Butters,Johnson,Thorne, They all can't play.

B. We don't know whats going to happen today, we may have 1 or 2 players coming in, just because we don't hear about them doesn't mean we're not in for anyone.

That's what I think any road :p

Well it's been said we have enough in midfield... Didn't look like that v burton. We have only 3 fit midfielders and none of them are in form. 

Archived