Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

What? 

Pearce barely featured for us, Blackman had one purple patch in his career and went for £2m to my surprise given what he had left on his contract.

It's very wishful thinking.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Pearce, Blackman, Shotton, Grant and Bradley Johnson for Kodjia. Sorted.

Chuck in Bryson and you've got yourself a deal, massive admirer of his; fantastic midfielder.

2 minutes ago, JJH said:

Pearce barely featured for us, Blackman had one purple patch in his career and went for £2m to my surprise given what he had left on his contract.

It's very wishful thinking.

It's not wishful thinking anyway. 

2 minutes ago, JJH said:

Chuck in Bryson and you've got yourself a deal, massive admirer of his; fantastic midfielder.

Wishful thinking :lol:

To be fair didn't 90% of the forum think Andre gray was a bad signing for burnley, yet 90% wish he would have joined us now, id love kodja here, similar type of striker (I believe), is it a coincidence the two teams that have won the last two championships play 442 with a hold up striker and a big pacy strong striker (Wilson/grey)

one quality forward for 10mil is much better business than another load of maybes ala, Baird, Pearce, Johnson and Blackman 

As much as I think he's quality he's only had one good season. I'd rather have a lower league player with a couple of good seasons under their belts if we're talking more than 4-5m for him, we can't keep chucking money at it as we've found out! Lower league bargains are the way forward. I'd like to think we'll have a two year plan for Pearson to get the team he wants, which will take a while. 

1 minute ago, Lord_Ram said:

To be fair didn't 90% of the forum think Andre gray was a bad signing for burnley, yet 90% wish he would have joined us now, id love kodja here, similar type of striker (I believe), is it a coincidence the two teams that have won the last two championships play 442 with a hold up striker and a big pacy strong striker (Wilson/grey)

one quality forward for 10mil is much better business than another load of maybes ala, Baird, Pearce, Johnson and Blackman 

I don't think 90% thought he was a bad signing, it was just the price that people were critical of, especially after Dyche made such a song and dance about us and Boro spending big.

Hi, Bristol City fan here.  Re Kodjia, he's just coming to the end of the first year of a three year contract.  City have an option of a fourth year too.  The other big thing to consider is that SC Angers (his and Camara's former club) have a 40% profit sell-on clause from the €3m (£2m approx) we paid them.

So, just assuming we sold for £6m, we'd only get £4.4m....doesn't sound likely.  Not that I have any idea as to what the City board would take for him, but I would think you have got to be looking north of £10m.  Is he worth it?  No idea, it's a supply and demand thing, and goal scorers are always in demand, but give you no guarantees.  Take Blackman.  You got him on the cheap because he was coming to the end of his contract, but his goals at Reading early doors were a bit out of kilter with the rest of his career.

Re Kodjis, the player, I think he is great, but he was the object of the City boo-boys during the middle third of the season.  He is very quick, has skill to beat a man, and create his own chances.  He also has good awareness for players in better positions, but can be greedy too.  Predominantly right footed, all of his goals came from his right peg or a couple of headers, with the exception being the one against you at our place....bit of a left foot swinger!  In his early days with us he did benefit from playing off a big man, who took the physical brunt off of him.  In the last third of the season (once he'd adapted) he benefitted massively from clever players who were in sync with his runs (Tomlin and Reid - who scored against you at our place).

He will definitely get you off your seats, and has become a cult hero here at Ashton Gate.

Personally I don't think we'd let him go to a Championship side (yes, you are much bigger than us), I still think we are a season away from being able to compete towards play off places), but I think we could resist.  I don't think we'd stand in the way of a Prem team, assuming price is right.

Hope this helps you understand what kind of player you're after (allegedly).  Nahki Wells would be a good alternative, not as skilful, but a bit smarter in the penalty area.

Good luck over the summer window.

I'd take Alex Pearce off of your hands, we need an experienced centre back, but not as a sweetener for Kodjia!!!

Stick a 4-5 million bid in, let's see if his head gets turned.

Any 27 year old who's come off the back of a season scoring twenty (?) goals in a side who's narrowly beaten relegation will believe they should be playing either at a better club gunning for promotion or in a higher division, sorry Bristol.

Shackells head got turned last summer, Thorne dropped down a league to join DCFC and we then managed to keep hold of Bryson despite Burnley at the time having the bragging rights to offer him Premiership football.

Heard all this "not for sale" ******** before n'all.

If we're going 4-4-2 and Pearson doesn't see Weimann as the man to play with Martin I'd go for a nippy goalscorer like Wells or Dwight Gayle. Kodjia would be ideal but seems like we might be priced out.  

I would say take a chance on a young foreign striker for better value but our record with foreign buys recently hasn't been good. 

Instead of wasting money last year on Johnson, Blackman, Weimann, Blackman and all clearly the man to buy was Andre Gray. Burnley got it right and got promoted and Derby got it wrong. Ship out Baird, Pearce, Shotton, Bent, Johnson, Weiman , Camara, and Blackman and start again.

Archived