Captain Keogh next season?

whiteroseram

Do we think Keogh will still be skipper under NP+CP? And should he be? Will NP have anyone in mind to bring in as skipper, or will he have a look at the squad in pre season before deciding?

Pros:
Continuity

Captained his country

Multiple managers have seen him as a skipper so must be good in the dressing room

Cons:

Almost never makes a single mistake when he's not captain (didn't make many as captain last few months also imo)

Certain fans will always look for any excuse to get at him

Maybe his capancy will be to associated with the "yearly men" tag?

Thought?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd give Bryson a go.

i like Keogh. But I do think he has a vain of fallibility running through him and if we're going to be a premiership team we need to be a bit more assured at the back.

im not calling for him to be sold immediately or anything, but I don't see him as the future.

I don't know how Bryson would get on. But he seems to be commited to the club, plays with abundant energy and has respect from fans/players/media alike.

he's just a really good example of a good example.

Captain in the dressing room? Absolutely. Captain on the pitch? Not a chance.

We tried to (or at least appeared to try to) mess with the dressing room status quo last season, and it didn't work too well in the long run. Pearson is a stronger character than Clement, and if he does decide to make a change then hopefully it more respected by the squad, with fewer noses put out of joint!

8 hours ago, Coconut said:

Captain in the dressing room? Absolutely. Captain on the pitch? Not a chance.

This.

We need a leader on the pitch. Keogh was rightly POTY but when things aren't going well on the pitch, he looks lost too often.

We certainly don't need the shambles of last year when Clement appointed Chris Baird , who then wasn't able to get into the first team.

As a team we have lacked the leadership on the pitch to change or close out games. Need someone stronger.

The problem is there is no one within the present squad who stands out as a contender to replace Keogh.

It is easier to rule out those who wouldn't be captain ( Ince ,Christie, Butterfield, Johnson, Blackman,Weimann ) 

If we do sign any new players then it could well be one of them who end up as captain ?

Thorne would have been a prime candidate had it not been for his injuries. Not sure if anyone else has noticed but he is the true leader in the team, barking out orders. It has to be someone playing in the first team frequently to prevent what we had last year by appointing Baird as captain. I'd keep it with Keogh for the time being but if he wants to change it then I wouldn't mind Carson getting the captain's armband.

Can't see it being Bryson as he's not guaranteed to be a starter every game. Unlike Shackell at least Keogh cares so I'd go with Keogh for now. Oakley, Hobbs and Morgan have been his last 3 skippers so I'd expect it to be someone from that end of the pitch.

Keogh's already had the captaincy taken off him once for no good reason and he won it back through hard work and determination. If you want to make the same mistake again, so be it, but don't be surprised when Keogh is back wearing the armband at the back end of next season as he once again proves you wrong.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

Keogh's already had the captaincy taken off him once for no good reason and he won it back through hard work and determination. If you want to make the same mistake again, so be it, but don't be surprised when Keogh is back wearing the armband at the back end of next season as he once again proves you wrong.

The captain will only change if the manager changes or something happens to the original captain.

Pearson will either leave it with Keogh or bring someone in who gets it. Don't think anyone else makes a good case for it tbh

40 minutes ago, BottrillRAM said:

Thorne / Martin / Bryson / Carson would be the ones I would consider! That all depends on how much they will play under Pearson! 

I Think I'd prefer Keogh to having Martin sulk on the pitch as captain.

I think Pearson will keep Keogh, as his captain, Keogh plays with his heart on his sleeve, is always talking, putting his body on the line, plays international football, won our player of the season twice, what more would Mr Pearson want out of his captain, do not understand why some on this forum, have a problem with Keogh, since he signed for us, he has been one of our most consistent performers week in week out.

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

No good reason?. Have you forgotten just how bad his form went while he was captain previously. I'm really not trying to bash him but IMO Keogh won the armband back because it was the safest option at the time and we needed to steady the ship, after PC giving it to a different player every game.

I still believe we get the best from Keogh when he doesn't have the extra responsibility.

Pearson will make up his own mind as to who will be his captain.

However unless he brings in someone specially to do that job, he would be better off leaving things as they are (assuming Keogh gets on with his managers philosophy).

Keogh performs as captain and as we know from other teams/sports, some fall apart under the pressure and their form suffers.

So why not keep the Status Quo, at least for the time being?

If I were manager, that is what I would do.

Archived