Captain Keogh next season?

whiteroseram

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stand this modern thing of "appointing a captain" why does anyone have to? 

As gaolebed last season, you could appoint a captain and he never get picked through injury and form of others.

the manager should just pick his starting 11 and from that one of them is captain. Let's be honest all the captain has to do is choose heads or tails and have his photo took with the sponsors and mascot.!

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I can't stand this modern thing of "appointing a captain" why does anyone have to? 

As gaolebed last season, you could appoint a captain and he never get picked through injury and form of others.

the manager should just pick his starting 11 and from that one of them is captain. Let's be honest all the captain has to do is choose heads or tails and have his photo took with the sponsors and mascot.!

Eh?

30 minutes ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

No good reason?. Have you forgotten just how bad his form went while he was captain previously. I'm really not trying to bash him but IMO Keogh won the armband back because it was the safest option at the time and we needed to steady the ship, after PC giving it to a different player every game.

I still believe we get the best from Keogh when he doesn't have the extra responsibility.

I'm a Keogh fan especially on his good days. But his biggest improvement in form came when he lost the captaincy. Some of that might have been down to having Shacks next to him though .. There was a great deal less panic and hesitancy when Shacks came on board and he took off the armband. ... But it would be interesting to understand who the inspirers are in the dressing room and who can keep their heads when all around are losing theirs. Will is probably too young but he always strikes me as a team player and a g'er upper 

2 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

Do you think he will come  ??   And could we now afford him and his wages ??

Ve hav accountants viz FFP avoidance software so Wolfgang Von Volkswagen is a nailed on cert. 

( 6'-3" ... Buzz cut, a mean looks and he brings his own arch supports ) 

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

So why not keep the Status Quo, at least for the time being?

Because for three seasons in a row the status quo has shown that when the chips are down (or the cards are the table, or maybe the keys in the fruitbowl if rumours are to be believed) it lacks a backbone and the mental strength to succeed 

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

Because for three seasons in a row the status quo has shown that when the chips are down it lacks a backbone and the mental strength to succeed 

I personally thought Keogh was one of our better players throughout.

Simply:

two seasons ago- keogh was the only constant in a ever changing back four. Christie at RB was massively inconsistent and was way out of position defensively. This meant he was trying trying to do the job of two, if not three, defenders. Couple this with a section on the fans blaming him for that mistake (which Buxton and Forsyth NEVER got flack for) and the pressure on him was too big.

Last season- massive improvement of Christie and the ever present shackell meant he could concentrate on his own game more and was so much better for it

The captaincy thing is a massive myth.

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Thorne would have been a prime candidate had it not been for his injuries. Not sure if anyone else has noticed but he is the true leader in the team, barking out orders. It has to be someone playing in the first team frequently to prevent what we had last year by appointing Baird as captain. I'd keep it with Keogh for the time being but if he wants to change it then I wouldn't mind Carson getting the captain's armband.

100% agree if thorne was always fit without a doubt. Seems to talk all the way through the game. But as we all know well be lucky to get half the games in a season. Huge shame as he is a player that the team could have been built around. Would love for us to bring another DM In and play 4231 like boro did. That way maybe thorne wouldn't be missed as much when injured. And Hanson wouldn't have as much pressure when covering

2 hours ago, jono said:

Ve hav accountants viz FFP avoidance software so Wolfgang Von Volkswagen is a nailed on cert. 

( 6'-3" ... Buzz cut, a mean looks and he brings his own arch supports ) 

He might prefer to stay where he is. He chose then over us last time he moved.  And he now has a medal..

27 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Simply:

two seasons ago- keogh was the only constant in a ever changing back four. Christie at RB was massively inconsistent and was way out of position defensively. This meant he was trying trying to do the job of two, if not three, defenders. Couple this with a section on the fans blaming him for that mistake (which Buxton and Forsyth NEVER got flack for) and the pressure on him was too big.

Last season- massive improvement of Christie and the ever present shackell meant he could concentrate on his own game more and was so much better for it

The captaincy thing is a massive myth.

Really? A myth? In your opinion. I wonder why every team in the world employs a captain, because every manager likes to have a voice on the pitch in the middle of the action. One who commands respect so that teams don't just do what they feel is right and falling into disarray? I stand to be corrected.

Just now, BathRam72 said:

Really? A myth? In your opinion. I wonder why every team in the world employs a captain, because every manager likes to have a voice on the pitch in the middle of the action. One who commands respect so that teams don't just do what they feel is right and falling into disarray? I stand to be corrected.

No, you missed my point in the post. The 'Keogh being captain caused his loss of form' was a massive myth....I'm all cool with captains

Just now, TuffLuff said:

No, you missed my point in the post. The 'Keogh being captain caused his loss of form' was a massive myth....I'm all cool with captains

Maybe I should read a bit closer.

I do feel that some players do suffer when they are appointed captain, others seem to play better when they are relieved of the pressure.

25 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

No, you missed my point in the post. The 'Keogh being captain caused his loss of form' was a massive myth....

Maybe it was just coincidence then that his form dipped alarmingly when made captain and then improved when it was taken of him. He actually didn't seem to enjoy it very much, from what I saw at games. Not worth the risk IMO and even if it is a myth, there are more vocal & better leaders on the pitch.

Thorne is the captain in waiting of this side. Until then I wouldn't be surprised if Shackell gets the job, which may cause him to actually perform for Pearson. We were all surprised when Clement shunned shacks for Baird just because shackell missed a few days of training because of the late transfer. Just as Keogh plays better without the band, Shackell could be inspired by it. 

It's really about who the other players respect and look up to.  The captain doesn't really do that much on the pitch apart from try to motivate the players before kick off and at half time maybe.  During the game, everybody has to be communicating with one another, especially defensively, in order to be an effective unit. You can't just have one man trying to organise everthing. Of course, the captain, should be someone who gives 100% for the team in every match.  I don't think anybody can doubt Keogh in that regard.  I think Pearson should keep Keogh as captain, unless he buys a perfect candidate. 

17 minutes ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

Maybe it was just coincidence then that his form dipped alarmingly when made captain and then improved when it was taken of him. He actually didn't seem to enjoy it very much, from what I saw at games. Not worth the risk IMO and even if it is a myth, there are more vocal & better leaders on the pitch.

He was made captain the moment he arrived, won player of the season the first year, was instrumental in reaching the play off final the next (yes I know Zamora) and was captain when we achieved a club record amount of consecutive clean sheets. Don't think the end of that season loss of form had much to do with being captain.

Archived