Wassall returns to the academy

Cam the Ram

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope he IS actually staying and this isn't just a technicality. Yes, he's "returned to his previous role" but only as we've now appointed a new manager - where else is there for him to go unless he is officially sacked/quits? Maybe this is just a statement that needed to be made until he's secured a manager's job somewhere else?

Like I say, I hope not. But wouldn't begrudge him a shot at managing elsewhere.

shows class, integrity and strong will to step back in given the despicable lack of respect shown to him before a ball had even been kicked under his leadership. I am convinced if he'd said the things he said with a deep Glaswegian accent or even an Italian accent, his passion would not have been ridiculed.

Let's remember, the bloke never bought a player, never had chance to instil his own style on the team and ultimately knew he was temporary, yet managed to sustain and maintain a standard of dedication, attitude and results. I think this should not be overlooked. 

To discredit him for making mistakes, which ALL managers make, and some more often, AND for needing help from Harry Redknapp, when ALL managers need a good team around them, shows ignorance from those doing so.

For me, whilst unspectacular, I find it hard to find proper criticisms for Wassall's short tenure. Anything he got wrong, you'd expect from any manager in his first 3 months in the job, regardless of level of experience.

I would like to say thank you to Darren Wassall for stepping in this season. He has stepped up to the mark when required and in fairness I saw a few cracking matches the Hull league at home and play off semi away at Hull were probably the best two games of the season. Also Cardiff away and Hull play off semi at home were probably our worst. Rotherham away was the best 80 minute game we played. When all is said he didn't set the team on fire but we did see it in glimpses. Inconsistency let him down.

1 hour ago, davenportram said:

wonder if he got a pay out after signing that contract months ago.

:lol: Brilliant.

It's amusing the amount of bull that various head-the-balls came out with over the last few months. I thnk that at this moment in time, we ought to bear in mind that so many members will never be seen on here again, so I ask that we have a second or two in contemplation, charge our glasses and raise them in a traditional toast to...

Absent Friends.

(and Herbert Lom).

I'm as pleased with this news as I am with the new appointments.

I'm sure the experience DW has gained will stand him and our club in good stead for the future. He has shown that he is a great bloke to have around the club and someone who will try to do the best he can in whatever role he is given.

I am genuinely baffled at how so many fans were determined to make their own story up about Wassall. 

'Will take charge of first team affairs until the end of the season' 

OK, what's difficult to understand I wonder. He did that, he didn't pretend to be our new long term manager did he? He didn't fall short, we ended up in the play offs and on the last day of our season his job was done as planned. We weren't good enough to win the league, not down to Wassall, we could have had Alex Ferguson in charge, even he can't polish a turd. (Ok that's a bit ott but I made my point). 

3 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

I like Darren, he comes across as a very decent hardworking bloke. We need people like him at this football club. He really cares.

Keep up the great work Darren.

He was passionate too.

Respect for him working his way through that pitch invasion at Hull to applaud the Derby fans

Also we need to remember he got us in the play offs

Archived