Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll summarise this one:

Shackell and Guy were the standouts, the magic of Chris Weale on show for their first two, it was genuinely amusing to watch. Let the first one go through him and the second I've no idea what he was doing with. He almost gave them a third late on and injured himself saving the situation. 

Guy looked very talented, lots of nice touches. The lads attempted to play football and when airline improved Bennett did a lot of good with what service he did get, very tidy and won a fair few 50/50's to build from. 

Weimann still trying as ever, put himself around, got very lucky with his goal but still had to shoot. It wasn't a penalty, he wasted the opportunity by cutting in. 

All in all a good experience for them, well worth a fiver entry though most of the crowd had lost the feeling in most limbs by the end. It was freezing, all hail the new heating system. 

Oh, and the ref was surprisingly naff. All sorts of odd decisions going on. 

12 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Kelle Roos subbed for Brizzle. Injured. Not sure the extent of the injury though.

He's not really injured mate. It's to avoid the fine. 

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Seriously?!

Apologies all for duff info. :unsure:

Cheers for that DEL.

Rules stating 5 of the players from the previous game had to play in this one  Early sub to "get around" the rules

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3918064/Bristol-Rovers-substitute-keeper-Kelle-Roos-minute-lowest-post-war-Portsmouth-crowd-EFL-Trophy-descends-farce-again.html

14 hours ago, Alex W said:

I'll summarise this one:

Shackell and Guy were the standouts, the magic of Chris Weale on show for their first two, it was genuinely amusing to watch. Let the first one go through him and the second I've no idea what he was doing with. He almost gave them a third late on and injured himself saving the situation. 

Guy looked very talented, lots of nice touches. The lads attempted to play football and when airline improved Bennett did a lot of good with what service he did get, very tidy and won a fair few 50/50's to build from. 

Weimann still trying as ever, put himself around, got very lucky with his goal but still had to shoot. It wasn't a penalty, he wasted the opportunity by cutting in. 

All in all a good experience for them, well worth a fiver entry though most of the crowd had lost the feeling in most limbs by the end. It was freezing, all hail the new heating system. 

Games I've seen, Guy is the one who has impressed me most. And impressed so much that I'm surprised he isn't regularly in the first team squad.

14 hours ago, Alex W said:

I'll summarise this one:

I thought Guy did soem good work but gave the ball away a lot too. I would also suggest that Shackell must take soe blame for their first goal. For me, Vernam was our best player, would have liked to see him further forward. 

15 hours ago, Alex W said:

I'll summarise this one:

Thanks for the summary, just to compare to what RD described when I listened live

Agreed Guy was passing well but give the ball away a few times then obviously went off injured. But they weren't so complimentary, kept saying he was too deep and either dragging rest of the defence deep or playing people onside, don't know what you'd say to that having been there?

They Mentioned Weimann's hard work (as we expect of him now) but also mentioned that Baird's body language looked awful! They weren't happy with how little he and some other seniors were helping the young lads. 

Although it didn't sound like the best performance (don't need to mention Weale, we all know), there was some good moves on show and they held particular praise for charles vernam and how he linked well with Weimann. And when CV came off 17year old Lewis Walker sounded like he made a positive impression in his short time on the field. 

Struggling to understand why we would play a 34 year old that isn't performing/assisting in the development of the U21/23's. We played Shackell, Rawson and Baird in a defence that could nurse a young GK through a game. I'd rather see Ravas fluff his lines than a 34 year old that has played enough games to know better.

As for Mansfield's winner. Fabulous goal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2016 at 16:47, Ramchester said:

Struggling to understand why we would play a 34 year old that isn't performing/assisting in the development of the U21/23's. We played Shackell, Rawson and Baird in a defence that could nurse a young GK through a game. I'd rather see Ravas fluff his lines than a 34 year old that has played enough games to know better.

As for Mansfield's winner. Fabulous goal. 

We played Baird because he needed 90 minutes under his belt. Even though the development of the young players is paramount to the club's future, the needs of the first XI were more immediate. Baird's performance on Saturday totally justified giving him a run-out in the U23s.

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

We played Baird because he needed 90 minutes under his belt. Even though the development of the young players is paramount to the club's future, the needs of the first XI were more immediate. Baird's performance on Saturday totally justified giving him a run-out in the U23s.

He is on about Weale.

6 hours ago, eddie said:

I've no issue with Baird playing in this game, like you say made perfect sense pre Rotherham. My gripe is playing Weale in a development game where he isn't going to be anywhere near the first team unless of an injury to Carson or Mitchell.

U23 Div 1 Table

Pos Team                           P  W D L  F  A   +_   Pts

7 Arsenal U23                    10  4 1 5  12 14  -2  13

8 Manchester United U23   10  3 4 3   9 12   -3  13

9 Leicester City U23           10  3 3 4  16 17  -1  12

10 Reading U23                  10  3 1 6  16  24  -8  10

11 Derby County U23          10  2 2 6  14  23  -9   8

12 Tottenham Hotspur U23  10  2 1 7   1  21 -10   7

Use some more first team players to stay up -  Hello

Quite a few at the match tonight. I think it must be live on Liverpool TV as large camera  here.

Olsson,  Bryson, Camara all started. Jonathan Mitchell has made several good saves. Camara with our best chance just over. Vernam working hard but not much support. 

0-0 at half time. 

Will Hughes watching the game.

Archived