Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

Don't Chelsea steal all the brilliant youth players and sell them a million or two here a million or two there as a way of staying the right side of FFP? 

I was under the impression they routinely win all youth competitions because of this stock pile of talent so a draw with these is an excellent step in the right direction. Especially considering they had Zouma playing for them... A big money first team signing. 

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Don't Chelsea steal all the brilliant youth players and sell them a million or two here a million or two there as a way of staying the right side of FFP? 

I was under the impression they routinely win all youth competitions because of this stock pile of talent so a draw with these is an excellent step in the right direction. Especially considering they had Zouma playing for them... A big money first team signing. 

Chelsea have been one of the most consistent academy teams recently, but this is mainly down to their extensive scouting network and loan policy. Many of their loaned out players could walk in to any Premier League sides such as Christensen. They also have a strong English core with talents such as Solanke coming through.

10 hours ago, Waffle said:

Chelsea have been one of the most consistent academy teams recently, but this is mainly down to their extensive scouting network and loan policy. Many of their loaned out players could walk in to any Premier League sides such as Christensen. They also have a strong English core with talents such as Solanke coming through.

So it stands that this is a great result? 

I've seen rumours for what they're paying those youngsters though. Makes my eyes water. 

Surely time to have something in place that tapers wages according to  first team appearances... More likely to be given a chance in the cups then so they can be paid handsomely to ward off interest from other clubs.

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

So it stands that this is a great result? 

I've seen rumours for what they're paying those youngsters though. Makes my eyes water. 

Surely time to have something in place that tapers wages according to  first team appearances... More likely to be given a chance in the cups then so they can be paid handsomely to ward off interest from other clubs.

They earn a lot more than I do. Even the likes of Jamie Hanson do. But yes, it's a good result, to say that we didn't really field many senior players.

2-0 to us at half time. After a bit of pressure against us early doors we are the stronger side. Elsnik and Vernam looking good, Bennett strong in the challenge.  Weimann scored the first charging down a goalkeeping clearance - looked like it hurt him. Lovely move for second which Elsnik finished well.

Weimann lively, Shackell organising defence, Baird sitting in front of defence doing a good job. 

Their main threat down the left, their winger has got in behind Stabana but not made most of chances. They did hit bar a couple of times though!

Second half no major action, thought we did a good containing job on them and had a few half chances  ourselves.

Lowe didn’t come out for second half - hope that means that he is being kept fresh for Saturday and not that he took a knock.

Vernam went off with cramp after about 80 minutes. Played very well, along with Elsnik.

Shackell, Baird and Weimann completed a full 90, Shackell looked like he was feeling it a bit towards the end. 

Enjoyable game, we passed it about quickly on the grass and covered well for each other. 

Archived