Derby County v Hull City

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Arch Deacon good post..specially the bit about resting players. I stated during the Ipswich game that Thorne should have been rested, That suggestion got me flamed in the match chat during the game. I have only ever been ashamed to be a Derby fan the once before today. The Reading game a year ago which we needed just a point at home to get into the playoffs. We lost 0-3 and never looked interested. Today counts as second. Apart from the first 20 minutes, never have I seen a team put so little into such an important game. Again, in front of their home fans. I am shocked and disgusted how inept we were. Good luck in the final.

So you were not ashamed at any point during the 2007-08 season, I was all season

22 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

If Bryson is bang average, then you're going to win the Prem next season. Enjoy your moment in the spot light, cos if we don't beat you, the Wendies surely will!

So which of our midfield would you have him ahead of? Elmo? Huddlestone? Livermore? Or Snodgrass? I rest my case! 

13 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Well done to Hull, but no need to rub it in, you get your day at Wembley.

No offence intended, and no rubbing in meant. I like Derby as a club, but to appoint the U21 manager to replace Clement, who after all had got u to the top briefly, seems an odd decision. Anyway, Wembley's our 2nd home. I'm getting bored of going. UTT!!!

24 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Don't want to read this thread, because it will make me want to commit, but just a few points for me...

Hughes, why on earth was he kept in CDM when we needed a goal. It was so frustrating. It was like Wassall had told him not to move from the centre circle. Our brightest moments came from a rare venture forward. I can understand starting him there, but keeping him there was ridiculous 

Bent on with FOUR minutes to go. Wow, nice going Wass. 

Their keeper, a relative novice by all accounts despite him being 31, faced 1 shot on target in 90 minutes (a dolly). Whenever the ball went near him, he was dodgy as fook. Why on earth wasn't he tested more, even from distance? In the first 20 minutes we had SO many opportunists to shoot. But our fancy Dan football comes first, clearly. 

Top class performance from Hull, and great game management (time wasting)... Did a proper, proper job on us. Fair play to Brucie

I got hacked off with the time wasting too! I'm convinced we could have got 5 if we'd cracked on! 

Can't  belive  our performance  today. We were poor all over the park. If we could of kept it to 2-0 we may of had a chance. But 3-0 no chance. Wassall didn't  have a clue. Hope Tuesday we can play with a bit more belief and passion. Let's face it we've nothing to  loose now.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not only in the same league Ronnie, but our current squad is actually worse than the team which made the 2013/14 playoff final. And we've had so much money spent on this rabble of rubbish.

I don't agree with the Clement bashing though. I feel two 'poor spells' either side of a purple patch is pushing it really. We took four points from the opening five games but played far better than that tally, and the purple patch lasted 19 games with only one defeat among them.

I blame Clement for interfering with a winning team. It all started with the daft changes against Leeds. By the time Reading and Birmingham came around the momentum had fully halted.

The biggest underlying problem though is recruitment. It's been so bad. Johnson, Weimann, Baird, Bent, Camara and Blackman - that's a good £13m squabbled in fees alone. And the wages...

Plus another £11m on Butterfield, Ince and Shackell when in reality none have performed particularly good to say that they've arguably been worth the money spent on them. For £11m I'd expect more.

I don't agree the 2013/14 squad was better. Carson is better than grant, shackell is better than Buxton, butterfield better than dawkins, and ince better than ward. But the balance isn't right... Especially when thorne is out injured. We miss bamford tho... He could score goals which none of our back up strikers have done.

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I don't agree the 2013/14 squad was better. Carson is better than grant, shackell is better than Buxton, butterfield better than dawkins, and ince better than ward. But the balance isn't right... Especially when thorne is out injured. We miss bamford tho... He could score goals which none of our back up strikers have done.

Not arguing here Pete but..

Carson better than Grant - I'll give you - but how many times have we seen Carson beaten by a 30-35 yarder? he could have done better with both the first and the third in my humble opinion.

Shackell 3.5m v Buxton a free transfer.

Butterfield 5m v Dawkins 300k?

Ince 3.75m v Ward  300k

Are they really 12.25m better? For that money they SHOULD be head and shoulders better but to be honest there's a gnat's chuff between most of those players. (with the exception of Butterfield v Dawks) 

Personally I'd probably prefer to see Bucko and Ward ahead of Shackell and Ince.

1 hour ago, The Arch Deacon said:

A Tigers fan here that's posted previously and has more than a passing interest in Derby.

Warren, you're absolutely bang on with your assessment. I also picked up that most wanted BJ straight back in the team ahead of JB simply cos his most recent performance was decent despite being garbage for 90% of the season.

I have felt throughout that this fixture was not about Hull v Derby but Bruce v Wassall. That's why the previous results between the two counted for nowt! And in that respect it was man v boy. Way too much nouse, although I accept he is ugly and fat. I couldn't understand the many Derby fans that we're expecting a comfortable Derby win. That said I thought the 3 nil score line flattered us a little. I think 2 would have been about right. The 1st goal was a gift from BJ, the second a fluke and the 3rd a predictable breakaway against a side desperate to get something back.

Allow me to make a few points, bullet stylee!

1. Bruce has been prepping for this from about 10 games out. Once he was fairly sure autos were beyond them he started to rest key players and at the same time give them a strong message that no one was an automatic selection. Elmo, Huddlestone, Hernandez, to name a few, and probably the strongest performers today. He only re-assembled his strongest 11 in the last game or 2 to have them fresh but clicking. 

2. Surely this brings in to question playing Thorne, your only real CDM, in the irrelevant Brighton game.

3. Can you really expect promotion with a back to goal striker significantly slower than most CB's. For me, Tom Ince is better in that role (and I'm no big Ince fan by the way), particularly against our CB's who are not the quickest, but excellent in the air. It just kept being punted up to him and coming straight back.

4. Will Hughes is clearly a talent, but clearly not fully match fit. Bryson clearly bang average, and Johnson clearly crap! But all still selected ahead of JB, who is clearly your most gifted footballer and a regular scorer of worldies inc 2 at the KC.

5. Weimann? Not even on the bench? WTF!!!

You got done today by a team experienced in producing big performances on big days led by a big game manager. It's not all over, in fact it's only half time, but I can't see us not scoring at the KC. In which case you need to score at least 4. Can't see it personally.

I saw several posts offering up a combined Derby Hull 1st 11 which suggested only 2 or 3 City players would make it. I wonder how those same posters would line them up now????

Good luck Tuesday, but I think it's game over. 

Made me also shocked that a number of our fans thought we would comfortably beat you lot. Kept trying to warn them that league games mean nothing in the play offs but the overconfidence got to their head . Knew that you guys were not to be messed with as you beat burnley and boro 3-0. As for the combined 11 as you can see I put a more of Hull players in the combined 11. Really rate Snodgrass. Hated facing him since his leeds days. Good luck for the final. You will beat Wednesday easily imo. Would have liked to seen both teams face each other all at full strength, us with Thorne and Forsyth and you with Mgregor. Would have been a cracker of a game. Ah well, wasn't meant to be.

To be fair ward was let go because of his injury record more than any consideration of his ability.

I agree with the basic premise that our recruitment has been poor. It has been ill considered and seems to lack consideration of how we set up to play.

6 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Personally I'd probably prefer to see Bucko and Ward ahead of Shackell and Ince.

However back on Planet Earth.......

Just ribbing ...

I liked Bucko when he first came and everyone was giving him some stick but now I wish him the best and a lucrative move to another championship / First division club, as for ward he was a greedy injury prone also ran, where as Ince doesn't get injured :ph34r:

41 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

No offence intended, and no rubbing in meant. I like Derby as a club, but to appoint the U21 manager to replace Clement, who after all had got u to the top briefly, seems an odd decision. Anyway, Wembley's our 2nd home. I'm getting bored of going. UTT!!!

Hiring Clement was the mistake, the U21 manager has done slightly better but not good enough.

13 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Hiring Clement was the mistake, the U21 manager has done slightly better but not good enough.

Can't agree with that. Clement made 1 or 2 questionable signings and made the odd strange decision that cost points, but on the whole, seemed to have a strategy and a playing style that was still settling in when he got chopped. Waffles strategy seems to be to check on the forums to see what the fans are saying about the starting line up for the next game. I appreciate that Clement came from an assistant background but it's not like it was at a crap club. In his first attempt at management and at the half way point in the season he had Derby pushing for the auto spot. Even if he didn't do it this year, the experience gained would have made it very likely next year. Giving him half a season is just bo*****s! Look at Karanka and where are they now???

Archived