George Thorne

Kernow

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Is there a rule that medics have to saunter about like they are out for a sunday afternoon stroll?

Even a couple of Ipswich players were shouting at them to move quicker.

If there can be a positive from today, all of Thorne's teammates looked upset and many gathered around to help. Maybe it could be that thing which bonds them all a little tighter together and gets really up for the play-offs.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
Just now, CornwallRam said:

Even a couple of Ipswich players were shouting at them to move quicker.

If there can be a positive from today, all of Thorne's teammates looked upset and many gathered around to help. Maybe it could be that thing which bonds them all a little tighter together and gets really up for the play-offs.

Agree #doitforthorne

Thorne's injury can either go 2 ways. It either helps the team have a greater bond and the "do it for george" mentality per se. Or it could make the team completely crumble mentally and feel sorry for themselves just like it did for the arsenal plays in 07/08 when eduardo broke his leg. I guess this injury will test the players' mental strength

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Quoted the above as this isn't hindsight. Yes it was partly bad luck, but it was also foreseeable. Do you guys not remember in March Wassall dropped Thorne completely from the 18 because of his struggle with fitness? Ever since he came back he's not been able to play a lot of games in succession. And it's when the body is under strain that injuries often occur. That was why I said what I did, and what I said about Will also applied to George. The Ipswich team selection wasn't just about today - by playing both today we're insisting they play a further three matches in a row including the possibility of 120 minutes at Wembley.

Ipswich was the only opportunity to take a break. I understand the fans not always appreciating this, but I expect a level of professionalim from the management that wasn't there. As an example of fan madness, I was incredulous on here when some were saying we had to play a full strength team against Brighton because otherwise "it would be unfair to Boro and Burnley". Frankly, I couldn't care less about any other team and we needed to do everything possible to give ourselves an advantage and I always want the club to do that.

Nothing was to be gained by playing the full strength playoff starting 11 and we had everything to lose. Some on here are saying "But Hull played a full strength 11". Of course they did. They have been woefully out of form and were desperate for one decent match from their first-choice 11 before meeting us. A totally different scenario. Boy are they laughing at us now.

Wassall and Rednapp got it badly wrong, but I'm disappointed by the unprofessionalism and lack of intelligence of the players too. Getting unnecessary bookings meant Keogh and Martin had to come off, denying us the chance to substitute both Hughes and Thorne as the game went on. Neither management nor players thinking it through and considering the consequences of their actions.

Let's hope by some miracle George's injury isn't as bad as it looks. If it is, all we can do now is hope that it brings the squad closer together and they're determined to win promotion for him, but I'd rather see him in the quaterback position at Wembley than one of Baird or Johnson, or having to drop Hughes back to take over there.

I am so gutted after such a disappointing day. COYR, but we really haven't helped ourselves.

You don't sound too gutted. You sound delighted and smug because you think you're right.

Except you're not because fatigue has no bearing on a dirty ******* coached by Mick McCarthy snapping your shins in two.

6 minutes ago, Tombo said:

You don't sound too gutted. You sound delighted and smug because you think you're right.

Except you're not because fatigue has no bearing on a dirty ******* coached by Mick McCarthy snapping your shins in two.

You're completely wrong. I'm gutted but I'm also furious. I expect Mel's furious too. I wish people had been able to come on here after the match and ridicule those of us who said we should have rested players. I'm going to have a miserable few days/weeks because of this, but I'm annoyed because it was clearly such a bad call, as commented at the time.

On 04/05/2016 at 13:58, Rampage said:

Blatantly obvious. Absolute common sense. I agree 100%, Carl.

Worst scenario - we keep our momentum and lose two key players. Hull would laugh their heads off. They made six changes last time out and lost to Bolton. are they bothered? They are not.

Sith Happens

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

You're completely wrong. I'm gutted but I'm also furious. I expect Mel's furious too. I wish people had been able to come on here after the match and ridicule those of us who said we should have rested players. I'm going to have a miserable few days/weeks because of this, but I'm annoyed because it was clearly such a bad call, as commented at the time.

I would expect Mel is concerned about George, and hoping he makes a rapid recovery, I don't think Mel is a member of the I told you so club.

This season has been jinxed for our midfielders. We all know what happened  first game of the season loosing  bryson and Hughes at Bolton. Then last game and this happens to poor George.  Absolutely  gutted for him.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I would expect Mel is concerned about George, and hoping he makes a rapid recovery, I don't think Mel is a member of the I told you so club.

He won't be a member of that "club" but I guarantee he will be furious that we played him today in a meaningless game but we can't do anything about it now.

A great shame. Thorne is a really valuable player for us and he's had way too many injury issues already over his young career. Not good news at all for him or DCFC.

Johnson will hopefully be a pretty capable replacement. Before he got injured, he looked like he was finally putting it all together in Wassall's system. Let's not forget that he absolutely destroyed Hull last time we played them and - unlike a lot of our players - he has gotten promotion out of this league before, through the playoffs.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He won't be a member of that "club" but I guarantee he will be furious that we played him today in a meaningless game but we can't do anything about it now.

I think he will be disappointed he is injured, I very much doubt he is furious.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You really think that Mel will be furious about that decision to play him ? Mel's an intelligent man and he will know exactly why Wass played George today . 

Absolutely gutted for the lad, first time I've been almost in tears at an injury, George deserves some luck soon surely. Got to say though how nice it was to see Johnny, Benty and Shacks comforting their mate, showed proper togetherness that did. You knew it was very bad from their reactions. But does it have to take so long to get the medical stuff onto the pitch, seeing Russell screaming at them to hurry does not reflect well however H&S rules are applied.

Left the ground feeling right down and like the season was over this afternoon, so anything else on Saturday is a bonus now for me, lets get behind 'em and "do it for George"! Fingers crossed we see him back on the pitch next season, fit and raring to go!

1 hour ago, rynny said:

So what is his position?

People say he isn't a LM when he is played there and now he isn't a CM.

Sorry.. I meant DM. He is an all round attacking mid playing high up in midfield looking for stray balls or intelligent passes in and around the penalty area. 

Archived