George Thorne

Kernow

3 minutes ago, Edinburgh ram said:

hopefully just a bruised toe

Or more preferable, just a few hairs out of place. 

A break is not the end of the world. 

The players looked gutted, can only hope this brings an extra 10% out of them to do it for George.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Gutted for him, just hope its not as bad as it looks, broken bone will be better than his knee surely. Both keogh and wassall suggest a bad tackle but i couldnt really tell as just loads going off at the time.

3 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

Bad injury. Wish him the best. But he will be a Premiership player with Derby when he returns next season.

Are we selling him then ? Because according to Lord and Lady Hindsight in the match thread that's it, we're done.

Hull scored 5 today you know.

2 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Are we selling him then ? Because according to Lord and Lady Hindsight in the match thread that's it, we're done.

Hull scored 5 today you know.

and they will all disappear when we beat Hull. :-)

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I know thats not good, but surely its got to be better than what he had before? Anyone know how long these normally take? i thought they were a few weeks tops?

Just now, Paul71 said:

I know thats not good, but surely its got to be better than what he had before? Anyone know how long these normally take? i thought they were a few weeks tops?

Lots of ifs and buts surrounding the recovery. Depends what type of fracture it is, how well his healing process goes and how well surgery goes (if he has it) .... but it's likely to be 4-6 months minimum I believe, which is better than his previous two bad injuries, but still awful news.

Horrible news, but in a way I'm glad it isn't a ligament injury. A third in as many years and you would perhaps question if his career would ever take off. Didn't Johnny have a fractured bone at some point? It's one of those where it's not anything to do with your ligaments or muscles, you can't be prone to them, it just happens.

A quick google suggests 4-6 months. Such a shame.

I take comfort from our Thorne-less performance against Sheffield Wednesday. Felt we played very well that day. I'm unsure who I'd play in CDM to be honest. Hendrick - no. Bryson - no. Johnson - supposedly one of his best positions, but I prefer further forward. Hughes - has played there before, but again, better further forward. Butterfield - no.

If I had to choose right now I'd go Johnson (if fit) as holding with Hughes and Bryson. If he's not fit then Hughes holding with Butters and Bryson.

PistoldPete2

Awful news for him and for Derby. With Hanson out as we'll and Johnson still out. We've been plagued by midfield injuries all season. 

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I take comfort from our Thorne-less performance against Sheffield Wednesday. Felt we played very well that day. I'm unsure who I'd play in CDM to be honest. Hendrick - no. Bryson - no. Johnson - supposedly one of his best positions, but I prefer further forward. Hughes - has played there before, but again, better further forward. Butterfield - no.

If I had to choose right now I'd go Johnson (if fit) as holding with Hughes and Bryson. If he's not fit then Hughes holding with Butters and Bryson.

Hull tend to play with 2 very slow midfielders in there - I'd let Hughes sit and be the spare man an have Hendrick and Bryson making runs off their 2.  If we get a decent lead, we can consider using Johnson so sit and protect in the away leg.

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

Hull tend to play with 2 very slow midfielders in there - I'd let Hughes sit and be the spare man an have Hendrick and Bryson making runs off their 2.  If we get a decent lead, we can consider using Johnson so sit and protect in the away leg.

I've never personally been a fan of the Hendrick-Bryson combination. Feel it doesn't work as well as other possible combos we can play but that's just me.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I've never personally been a fan of the Hendrick-Bryson combination. Feel it doesn't work as well as other possible combos we can play but that's just me.

I think it works fine if you have a passer in behind them.  We've had problems when we had Eustace in there, or when we've tried to play them as a 2 in a 442, as they aren't technically good enough to keep the ball and move it quickly.  With Hughes or Thorne in behind them, I think it works, especially if we have an extra man.  That said, I wouldn't have a problem using Butterfield instead of Hendrick.

On 04/05/2016 at 13:15, Carl Sagan said:

I'd far rather he kept it going beyond Wembley and well into next season. Getting to the place isn't enough.

I'd play all the backups to give them a bit of fitness and sharpness in case they're needed for the mini-campaign ahead. For instance, do you really want Jon Mitchell stepping out at Wembley without having played a full league game for us? If Bucko needs to play 120 minutes, isn't it good for him to have 90 now?

Can Hughes come back from eight months out and play six full games in a row? Of course not. And haven't we seen Thorne struggling and go off the boil when playing too much - wrap him in cotton wool and give him a rest.

On 04/05/2016 at 02:17, Carl Sagan said:

Wednesday before the last game of the regular season and still no match thread?

• Rest George. He needs to be in cotton wool and save his strength for the playoffs
  • Rest Will. He's started two and got through them, but again needs a breather before the big push.
  • Bradley could actually make it back so it will help to have him getting minutes under his belt.
  • Rest Carson. If Mitchell needs to come on or start in the playoffs, another full match will do him the world of good.
  • Bucko needs a full match in case; I'd give Shackell a breather.
  • Baird has been recalled and needs a fll match, again just in case we need him. If Johnson's able to play, I'd have him as the CDM and Baird at right back and take the opportunity to give Christie a break. If not, play Baird at CDM and keep Christie in the team.
  • Up front is the toughest. I would probably hold back all of our regular forward line on the bench (in case Hull end up losing at home to Rotherham) and give three of Bent, Weimann, Blackman and Camara a game.

Mitchell

Baird/(Christie)     Keogh     Buxton     Olsson

Johnson/(Baird)

Bryson     Butterfield

Blackman     Bent     Weimann

Bench: Carson  Stabana   Rawson   Hughes   Martin   Ince   Russell

Fully rested: Thorne Shackell (Christie)

Quoted the above as this isn't hindsight. Yes it was partly bad luck, but it was also foreseeable. Do you guys not remember in March Wassall dropped Thorne completely from the 18 because of his struggle with fitness? Ever since he came back he's not been able to play a lot of games in succession. And it's when the body is under strain that injuries often occur. That was why I said what I did, and what I said about Will also applied to George. The Ipswich team selection wasn't just about today - by playing both today we're insisting they play a further three matches in a row including the possibility of 120 minutes at Wembley.

Ipswich was the only opportunity to take a break. I understand the fans not always appreciating this, but I expect a level of professionalim from the management that wasn't there. As an example of fan madness, I was incredulous on here when some were saying we had to play a full strength team against Brighton because otherwise "it would be unfair to Boro and Burnley". Frankly, I couldn't care less about any other team and we needed to do everything possible to give ourselves an advantage and I always want the club to do that.

Nothing was to be gained by playing the full strength playoff starting 11 and we had everything to lose. Some on here are saying "But Hull played a full strength 11". Of course they did. They have been woefully out of form and were desperate for one decent match from their first-choice 11 before meeting us. A totally different scenario. Boy are they laughing at us now.

Wassall and Rednapp got it badly wrong, but I'm disappointed by the unprofessionalism and lack of intelligence of the players too. Getting unnecessary bookings meant Keogh and Martin had to come off, denying us the chance to substitute both Hughes and Thorne as the game went on. Neither management nor players thinking it through and considering the consequences of their actions.

Let's hope by some miracle George's injury isn't as bad as it looks. If it is, all we can do now is hope that it brings the squad closer together and they're determined to win promotion for him, but I'd rather see him in the quaterback position at Wembley than one of Baird or Johnson, or having to drop Hughes back to take over there.

I am so gutted after such a disappointing day. COYR, but we really haven't helped ourselves.

Archived