OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

11 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Ryan Giggs is out of a job?

He would be my dream candidate.

Big name to draw in players

Looks to be a motivator whilst having a great footballing brain

How on earth do we know that he has a 'great footballing brain' ?

Great footballing feet !    No question.  But they wouldn't be much good to us while he was standing on the touchline. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I think the Irish players who played in 2012 would like to forget about it too.   O'Neill seems to be enjoying his time as ROI manager, but i have a feeling he would like to return to club management as some stage.  He has spoken highly of Derby County in the past and I'm sure he would see the potential of a return to the Premier League, so i think he would at least seriously consider a move here.  However I'm not sure he is the sort of manager Mel is looking for.  O'Neill's football is typically very direct.

Too many cobwebs. Been a while since he has been a day to day manager.

20 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I think the Irish players who played in 2012 would like to forget about it too.   O'Neill seems to be enjoying his time as ROI manager, but i have a feeling he would like to return to club management as some stage.  He has spoken highly of Derby County in the past and I'm sure he would see the potential of a return to the Premier League, so i think he would at least seriously consider a move here.  However I'm not sure he is the sort of manager Mel is looking for.  O'Neill's football is typically very direct.

his leicester side was big lumps at the back (Elliott/Taggatt) and big lump (Heskey) up top with terriers in the middle (Lennon/Savage) - not the Derby way so think your bang on with that

3 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Just another thing, I've seen loads of people moaning on here and on Twitter that Mel and Sam aren't doing their jobs properly and that they should have made a statement by now. Let me assure you, the process is well underway and people at the club are working so hard to get the right man appointed. There is a shortlist and an interview process but I don't want to go into the names I've heard as it doesn't feel right to be honest. 

Hold tight, but don't think the board aren't working their socks off to get someone appointed, and the right man appointed, because they are.

Agree 100%. I hope that everyone on this board wants the best for DCFC. There have been very occasional times (nowhere near on the scale of SDSR I'm sure) when people at Derby have given me info, but I would only release it to a wider audience if I thought it wasn't to the detriment of the club. For instance waiting until the team was announced before divulging Hendrick's injury that would put him out for the rest of the season (or as it turned out the final game of the playoffs) even though I could have posted it the day before.

For something as important as the new manager/head coach I hope everyone #ITK stays tight-lipped until it's official and all properly signed and sealed, rather than things leaking out and us risking losing the guy Mel and Sam want.

36 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Ryan Giggs is out of a job?

He would be my dream candidate.

Big name to draw in players

Looks to be a motivator whilst having a great footballing brain

Ability to bring in a good back-room staff

Appreciates good attacking football

Likes to stay at one place for years

Loves to incorporate youth into the first team.

I reckon getting Giggs in with a good experienced head above him, we could have the manager who would fit the same bill that Clement was appointed for.

There's no guarantee he would be any different to Clement though. We've been through that and it hasn't worked. The only difference is Clement wasn't a great player. He's still a great coach, he's moved around with one of the world's best managers and coached the world's best players. Didn't Giggs turn down Swansea because he fancied himself at United? Now that's not likely to happen for a while, he may look for a PL job. There were articles linking Clement to Arsenal etc before he came here. That won't happen now. If Giggs came here he would have to do well or he won't get the chance at United which is what he clearly wants. I don't think he'd risk it and I'd prefer experience.

why would releasing Hendricks Injury information have a negative effect?

Also with the manager situation why would knowing the candidates hurt?

not saying you are wrong I am just curious as to how you come to that mindset.

Can't help but think if the forum has as much power as you seem to suggest, it might be a good thing for 'on-lookers' to see the fans reaction to some candidates? Then again the candidates I want are not popular choices :lol:

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

What would you class as inexperienced. Less then 3 clubs as a No.1?

Someone that's been a number one would be a good start. Better then this season anyway. Someone who's had at least a season as number one without a hand holder. I don't see Giggs or Wassall as experienced and to appoint them and throw dirty great brown envelopes at Arry et al isn't the best solution IMO. If Wassall was to get it that's fine, wouldn't be my first choice but if he isn't trusted to do it on his own without a Old Head guiding him why not just give it to the Old Head in the first place?

i don't want another season of experimenting. I want a bit of stability both for the club and the fans

10 minutes ago, Simsy said:

What would you class as inexperienced. Less then 3 clubs as a No.1?

No. Less than 1 club as a No.1 would be inexperienced - see Giggs, Wassall, Clement (When we signed him). I think it's about time we tried a proven manager instead of hoping one of these people who have never managed before might actually be alright. 

Having said that though please god don't let it be Martinez - we are already pretty ropey when it comes to defending - we don't need any help from him in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

why would releasing Hendricks Injury information have a negative effect?

Also with the manager situation why would knowing the candidates hurt?

not saying you are wrong I am just curious as to how you come to that mindset.

Can't help but think if the forum has as much power as you seem to suggest, it might be a good thing for 'on-lookers' to see the fans reaction to some candidates? Then again the candidates I want are not popular choices :lol:

Opposition team has more of an idea about who they will be up against and set up their tactics accordingly. Theo Robinson got fined for saying he wasn't in the squad a few hours before the team was announced.

If people release who we are interested in, then another club could come in for the manager.

Mel reads this forum, and other team supporters do, they may post on their forum which could be read by their owners/directors. Journalists often read fans forums as well.

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

No. Less than 1 club as a No.1 would be inexperienced - see Giggs, Wassall, Clement (When we signed him). I think it's about time we tried a proven manager instead of hoping one of these people who have never managed before might actually be alright. 

Having said that though please god don't let it be Martinez - we are already pretty ropey when it comes to defending - we don't need any help from him in that regard.

We've just had one of our best ever defensive seasons. 

I could be doing him an injustice, but I always think Giggs comes across as a bit of a bland simpleton*. 

Not sure that turning up in the changing room and saying 'look at my medals' gives him the skills to manage, motivate and lead a group of players. 

Clearly the United board aren't convinced having now overlooked him twice.

* Obviously said blandness does not extend to carnal matters. Allegedly.

12 minutes ago, Rammeister said:

I could be doing him an injustice, but I always think Giggs comes across as a bit of a bland simpleton*. 

Not sure that turning up in the changing room and saying 'look at my medals' gives him the skills to manage, motivate and lead a group of players. 

Clearly the United board aren't convinced having now overlooked him twice.

* Obviously said blandness does not extend to carnal matters. Allegedly.

Surely if you fund a breast enhancement op, you are entitled to get some use out of them....allegedly.

28 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Perfect example of not even giving the guy a chance before he's walked through the door. Would love to have seen your comments when McClaren was appointed.

Seeing as a few others have done their preferred top 5 choices, I'm bored so I'll join in.

1. Moyes - unlikely because he's just rejected Villa so looks to be holding out for a Prem job, but he'd be my first choice. He played decent football with Everton, brought through plenty of youngsters and made them a fairly successful Premier League team, all 3 ticks Mel's Derby way ambitions.

2. Warbuton - plays good football, did well in the Championship with Brentford and has done well at Rangers.

3. Pearson - proven at this level.

4. Martinez - nice football but he has a history of doing well in the first season and then things going downhill, but I wouldn't mind him here.

5. Monk - again, nice football when at Swansea, but he's not got much experience and that's why I'd personally lean towards and experienced manager after the Clement appointment went wrong.

Other linked managers.

Wassall - probably deserves a chance at a full season, but like most I'd prefer a bigger name with more experience.

Sherwood - I don't think he'd do as badly as people are suggesting, but he'd be quite far down my list of choices.

Giggs - no experience.

Rowett - would probably be decent, but he doesn't really play the type of football Mel has suggested he wants.

Archived