Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

absolute bullsausage.

Dominant? Have a look at almost every headed goal we concede and you'll see one of two things, either Keogh running under the ball, OR Keogh not jumping higher than 2 inches off the floor. Go on, go and look at the goals and tell me you 'physically go to the games'!. Such an ignorant comment followed up by nonsense.

For what it's worth, he's not a bad player. he's just not a good player, he lacks intelligence and composure and makes bad decisions.

Bs. I'm there. I call it as I see it and I see a lot. So either you don't go to games or you're ignoring 99% of what he does. I actually omitted his other weakness - which is finishing on headers from our attacking corners. That's all I see ... You think he's captain why ? Managers see what a dominant player he is, maybe you don't. If he was two footed he'd be the perfect defender. That slight clumsiness he has when forcing everything to his right foot may lead to your composure comment but the fact that you fail to see its his right sidedness tells me you're not paying attention. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Dominant? Have a look at almost every headed goal we concede and you'll see one of two things, either Keogh running under the ball, OR Keogh not jumping higher than 2 inches off the floor.

20 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

maybe these professionals are all wrong and the so-called supporters who never let an opportunity pass without having yet another dig are right? 

18 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Bs. I'm there. I call it as I see it and I see a lot. 

Chill your boots guys... Everyone at any game is going to take different things away from a player's performance... It entirely depends on your own perceptions of how football should be played... And the qualities you pick up on more than others...

If Keogh was the perfect CB he would have been snapped up by a top 6 Prem team by now... However the 'mistakes' he makes are often over-attributed by those who don't rate him... And equally the defence of him sometimes ignores his role as a player who is prone to the occasional blunder...

20 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Chill your boots guys... Everyone at any game is going to take different things away from a player's performance... It entirely depends on your own perceptions of how football should be played... And the qualities you pick up on more than others...

If Keogh was the perfect CB he would have been snapped up by a top 6 Prem team by now... However the 'mistakes' he makes are often over-attributed by those who don't rate him... And equally the defence of him sometimes ignores his role as a player who is prone to the occasional blunder...

Nail. Head. Hit it!

The thing with Keogh is that he fit. We'd have been a worse side under McClaren with Shackell than Keogh. 

The whole reason Clough cashed in on Shacks and bought Keogh is because he wanted us to pass it out from the back. Shacks is a better defender but Keogh is a ball-player. 

You sign players to fit. 

58 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Seriously this is one player who plays every game (never out hurt) who leaves his guts on the field who wins almost every ball that comes his way etc etc ... And he gets bashed on here. Incredible. Perfect he is not but he's consistently brilliant. 

I am a Keogh fan (most of the time) quick, brave and can tackle. He also brings the ball out at the times when we are being way too static and slow.

He has weaknesses .. Prone to nerves / panic / hesitation when in possession and unsupported. When he has a crazy run forward / red mist it is sometimes unthinking and can leave the back line exposed. At times he tries to do more than his own job and can end up doing neither. Shacks has helped him because Shacks is reliable in his positioning. There is an element of trust. Might not be totally bi directional though ?

Lots of central defenders make mistakes. Maybe Richard isn't PL class but he is more than capable at this level.

And you know what ... Every single game he plays Richard Keogh gives blood sweat and tears for the cause and that has a value so much more than stats. 

56 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Maybe if a few more players in the last couple of seasons had shown the level of effort , bravery , commitment and passion that Richard Keogh shows then im sure we would be in the Premier League now . KEOGH, KEOGH

conversely if Keogh had the composure that 90% of players have in dealing with Hoilett's cross, Derby would almost definitely have been closer to being in the Premier League than your solution. You should've learned that Effort, bravery and commitment guarantee nothing when it comes to the crunch cos if quality raises it's game, you lose.

Stop bashing Keogh, he is our captain, and has won player of the year twice, he plays for his country, and is defo one of the best defenders in the championship, I also believe he could cut it in the premiership, he gives his all every game , I wish we had a team full of Keogh's. Keogh, Keogh, Keogh. And most managers agree, like Clough, Maclaren, Clement, O' Neil,and Pearson, but someone on a forum knows more than all of these managers, what a joke some posters on here are? 

Agree with you - it's infuriating actually and guess which team has the best defensive record in the Championship? And which player leads that defence?

Pearson identified the main problem - Chris Martin - and shipped him out. He's correctly pleased with our defenders. We need to focus on our weakness not our strength, and thankfully we are!  Tomorrow we hope for business as usual from our defence but something totally different in attack. 

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

conversely if Keogh had the composure that 90% of players have in dealing with Hoilett's cross, Derby would almost definitely have been closer to being in the Premier League than your solution. You should've learned that Effort, bravery and commitment guarantee nothing when it comes to the crunch cos if quality raises it's game, you lose.

point taken Mostyn , but effort , bravery and commitment are pretty high up on supporters wishlists for players at their club and we get this in abundance from our captain

15 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Agree with you - it's infuriating actually and guess which team has the best defensive record in the Championship? And which player leads that defence?

Pearson identified the main problem - Chris Martin - and shipped him out. He's correctly pleased with our defenders. We need to focus on our weakness not our strength, and thankfully we are!  Tomorrow we hope for business as usual from our defence but something totally different in attack. 

it's funny that, cos most people blamed our defensive collapse on Martin being injured a couple of seasons back!

40 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

had forsythe and bucko shown more composure maybe keogh wouldnt even have had to deal with the cross.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

it's funny that, cos most people blamed our defensive collapse on Martin being injured a couple of seasons back!

it doesnt help if someone isnt holding the ball up. I think it was more to do with not playing a proper holding midfielder.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

had forsythe and bucko shown more composure maybe keogh wouldnt even have had to deal with the cross.

you can throw that one out forever, but ultimately your captain and central defender, on the edge of his own six yard box needs to be more composed than your other defenders 30 yards from goal and out on the wing. Yes they could and should have done better. But show me a promoted defender who does something so calamitous. You won't find one in such a vital game at such a vital time, in such a vital position! Crosses come into the box many times a game, it's basic bread and butter defending no matter how you dress up the sad excuse making

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

it doesnt help if someone isnt holding the ball up. I think it was more to do with not playing a proper holding midfielder.

not sure that caused Keogh to keep falling on the floor and pass the ball to the oppo all those times.

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you can throw that one out forever, but ultimately your captain and central defender, on the edge of his own six yard box needs to be more composed than your other defenders 30 yards from goal and out on the wing. Yes they could and should have done better. But show me a promoted defender who does something so calamitous. You won't find one in such a vital game at such a vital time, in such a vital position! Crosses come into the box many times a game, it's basic bread and butter defending no matter how you dress up the sad excuse making

What about the Hull City left back who shanked one into his own net in play offs 2nd leg against us , yes it wasnt costly in the end , but it does show even PROMOTED defenders can make mistakes in their own six yard box

5 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

What about the Hull City left back who shanked one into his own net in play offs 2nd leg against us , yes it wasnt costly in the end , but it does show even PROMOTED defenders can make mistakes in their own six yard box

so good a defender that you cannot even name him? Whilst a clanger, it wasn't lack of composure that caused it, it was a good cross, he had players in front and behind him and lots of time in the game, and a 2 goal lead.

Archived