Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Let's get one thing straight before the vultures come in, this isn't me bashing Keogh. It's a genuine criticism of him that he needs to work on, just like Shackell needs to work on his distribution or Hughes with his shooting but unfortunately there aren't any threads specifically for them. The reason why Keogh "has a mistake in him" is not because he is a bad footballer but because his positioning is terrible. He is generally pretty sound in other aspects of his defending but his positioning, or lack of, is one glaring omission in his game for me. I get the impression that Keogh likes doing slide tackles to please the crowd because it 'shows passion' when he should have the same attitude that Alonso has that slide tackling is a negative, not a positive. In this aspect the crowd are to blame as we encourage him to do it. Alonso alluded to it in the second tweet I posted that in England , tackling is seen as a quality when it shouldn't be as it is a necessity. If one of the brightest brains in football says this then we should sit back and listen to him. 

I'm partly agreeing with you. IMO his positioning is fine most of the time, but sometimes he tends to follow too much ball which leads to troubles. Lack of concentration, which leads to being wrongly positioned maybe?

4 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I'm partly agreeing with you. IMO his positioning is fine most of the time, but sometimes he tends to follow too much ball which leads to troubles. Lack of concentration, which leads to being wrongly positioned maybe?

He actually does what so many people ask for. 

To play with passion and fire and for the badge and give 100% and all that other stuff. 

It's the same as when Savage used to go roaming off chasing the ball to the stadium cheering.  

I'd rather they used their heads. Less passion and more composure and intelligence. 

re: Keogh. Never really understood the drama around him. He's alright. That's it, alright. Has moments of good and bad but 8 times in 10 he does the job. The other two he'll do something great and awful. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

He's alright. That's it, alright. Has moments of good and bad but 8 times in 10 he does the job. The other two he'll do something great and awful.

Describing most Championship centre backs here.

Grass is always greener on the other side tho.

Don't get the hype. Never have. Average championship footballer in a side that is meant to be aspiring for more. 

Will always make mistakes, will always follow the ball, not the man, will always blame team mates or the ref for his own errors, and unfortunately IMO will always hold Derby back. 

But he has a nice new contract so happy days. 

Need to kill this thread. 

There's no way you can physically go to the games and think Keogh is a bad player. He's one of the most dominant defenders I've ever seen. It's play after play after play he wins balls and he pressures forwards way beyond his defensive area right on their back and then he drops off if they keep the ball. It's constant how good he is and you don't get that if you watch the odd game or listen on the radio. His weakness is only his one footedness that's it. He's a truly majestic player. 

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

Don't get the hype. Never have. Average championship footballer in a side that is meant to be aspiring for more. 

Will always make mistakes, will always follow the ball, not the man, will always blame team mates or the ref for his own errors, and unfortunately IMO will always hold Derby back. 

But he has a nice new contract so happy days. 

Mel Morris's fault, obviously.

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Need to kill this thread. 

There's no way you can physically go to the games and think Keogh is a bad player. He's one of the most dominant defenders I've ever seen. It's play after play after play he wins balls and he pressures forwards way beyond his defensive area right on their back and then he drops off if they keep the ball. It's constant how good he is and you don't get that if you watch the odd game or listen on the radio. His weakness is only his one footedness that's it. He's a truly majestic player. 

absolute bullsausage.

Dominant? Have a look at almost every headed goal we concede and you'll see one of two things, either Keogh running under the ball, OR Keogh not jumping higher than 2 inches off the floor. Go on, go and look at the goals and tell me you 'physically go to the games'!. Such an ignorant comment followed up by nonsense.

For what it's worth, he's not a bad player. he's just not a good player, he lacks intelligence and composure and makes bad decisions.

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

Sorry for the bump but I've just been reading an interesting interview with Xabi Alonso in the Guardian on slide tackles, which Keogh does a lot. I'll post a few tweets highlighting the area I'm specifically referring too here:

Personally I think the phrase "I - or someone else" is key here... When I'm watching the games Keogh is trying desperately (as is his character) to cover for everyone else in the side too... He covers for our lack of tackling in the CM area... Covers for Christie at RB when he's up the pitch... And covers anything else stray/random... Half the time it's someone else's bad positioning which leads to him needing to try something last gasp because he's had to run yards further than anyone else to the position...

He's prone to a mistake as any other defenders are... But it's noticeable that the most successful teams and defenders for years now have had a defensive cover player in midfield... Something which we are STILL lacking...

47 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Personally I think the phrase "I - or someone else" is key here... When I'm watching the games Keogh is trying desperately (as is his character) to cover for everyone else in the side too... He covers for our lack of tackling in the CM area... Covers for Christie at RB when he's up the pitch... And covers anything else stray/random... Half the time it's someone else's bad positioning which leads to him needing to try something last gasp because he's had to run yards further than anyone else to the position...

He's prone to a mistake as any other defenders are... But it's noticeable that the most successful teams and defenders for years now have had a defensive cover player in midfield... Something which we are STILL lacking...

Agree with you, particularly on the last part. I think we are still missing a defensive midfielder to play alongside Thorne when he is fit or replace him when he is injured. Chelsea conceded goals left, right and centre last season and what did they do? They went bang in the transfer window and bought Kante to play alongside Matic. This helps to protect the back 4 even more and allows the flair players to expressive themselves knowing they have protection behind them. I would have liked to seen us go out and buy Gunnarson to solidify the midfield whilst letting Hughes play higher up in a more natural attacking position thus having a midfield and attacking lineup of this:

Gunnarson Thorne

Ince    Hughes      Anya

Vydra

Perfect blend of speed, creative ability , defensive ability, leadership and power

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Agree with you, particularly on the last part. I think we are still missing a defensive midfielder to play alongside Thorne when he is fit or replace him when he is injured.

I think ANYONE for that position would be fine... My dad kept quoting the win % we had between 2013-2015 with and without Eustace in the team... He wasn't a classy player but with him providing cover for the defence we were a lot stronger as a defensive unit... My dad also has an obsession with the Alex Ferguson approach, saying his Man Utd team always had "a CB playing in midfield"... 

I find it mad that Pearson/Morris/Rush haven't made a proper solid DM a priority in this transfer window... Unless they're just waiting and hoping on Thorne and/or one of the youngsters to step up...

I see the 'know-it-alls' are out in force again, any opportunity to criticise Richard Keogh! I'm just glad that Nigel Clough, Steve McLaren, Darren Wassall, Martin O'Neil, Paul Clement and now Nigel Pearson have all seen fit to select him in virtually every match for which he has been avaiable, most of the time as captain.

But maybe these professionals are all wrong and the so-called supporters who never let an opportunity pass without having yet another dig are right? 

Nah - they're not, as I said, know-alls who, as far as assessing the qualities of a professional  footballer, know nowt!

Archived